HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #81
Juls

Re: Need input!

End of April!
Yes - I'm glad as well - if I had postponed my scan until after wedding - which I had thought about. I would have missed the trial by over a month!!
Juls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:03 PM   #82
Mtngrl

Juls,

I have to agree--you are very lucky.

Kadcyla/TDM-1 is expensive for what the average result is. It doesn't double overall survival (looked at from a group perspective), but just adds months. I'm glad they're looking at other drugs to combine with it. That being said, it has been a "home run" for some people. Herceptin alone is actually a home run for some people.

Cancer is us, and each of us is unique. Eventually every cancer patient will have a unique, customized treatment plan. Until then, those of us who are already in the "lottery" as Jedrik calls it have to play the cards we're dealt.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:52 PM   #83
Juls

Thanks Amy.

I am wavering a little tonight!
Wonder if I am focusing on Kadcyla & not investigating other drugs etc. Not that I have been offered anything other than another AI if I don't get on trial.
Surely there are other drugs available?
In my area of UK - TDM-1, Tykerb & Perjeta n/a unless on a trial.
Have already had Docetaxol, Perjeta, Femara, Xeloda along with Herceptin and Zometa.
Also not sure if off Zometa when on trial drugs.
I was told I did well on all treatments! All blood tests, particularly in last few months really good, so a bit surprised by all this.
Any thoughts anybody!
Fortunately I feel good!
Juls
Old 02-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #84
Mtngrl

Dear Jules:

Here's a link to a summary from about a year ago: http://www.gotoper.com/publications/...merging-agents

And here's another good overview: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/870720

There's a new drug coming along for people who are both ER and HER2 positive that looks quite promising. It's called tucatanib.

That being said, I see no reason not to try Kadcyla (a/k/a TDM-1).

While I wait around for something new to be approved (or for a study. . . .) I'm doing Herceptin and Eribulin. I have mets in my lungs and in one vertebra. My bone met doesn't seem to respond to HER2 targeted therapies.

There are other classes of chemo that can be given with Herceptin. And novel combinations can be tried.

Hang in there! I'm so glad you feel good and your blood tests are good.

Amy
Old 02-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #85
Juls

Thanks Amy- I'll have a look at both.
Have read a little about Tucatanib
Just been on Onco link re this new trial drug I have been offered! Has many side effects!
3 am & I'm still up researching!
Juls

Last edited by Juls; 02-13-2017 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: missed words
Old 02-06-2017, 05:31 AM   #86
TiffanyS

I spoke to my doctor about Tucatanib a few weeks ago, and she told me that you can’t take Tacatanib (or be part of the trial for it) until you have taken Perjeta/Herceptin/Taxol and TDM-1 first. She also told me that there are better drugs on the market, although she didn’t tell me what they were called. That being said, I think people need to take TDM-1 before they qualify for other drugs. Juls, it’s up to you what you do, but I think that the TDM-1 trial is your best option right now, unless you can get Perjeta/Herceptin/Taxol (although I think you said that Perjeta is not covered where you live). Talk to your doctor about your other options, and see what she says.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Second mammogram and ultrasound.
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
01/16 – Chest scan and bone scan done– all looks good.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s post surgical. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months).
04/16 – Have port put in.
04/16 – Get second dose of chemo, but Docetaxal is left out due to liver enzymes being high. I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment.
06/16 – Finished chemo! One month off and then I start radiation.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
07/16 – First radiation treatment – 24 more to go!
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my chest wall. I am told that I have a local recurrence and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Go for rush ultrasound, bone scan, breast MRI and CT scan.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM-1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
11/16 - CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are normal at 19.
11/16 – Second CEA blood test – Tumours markers are still normal at 1.6
11/16 – Second CA-15-30 bloot test – Tumour markers are still normal at 19
11/16 – Develop lymphedema and have to wear a sleeve
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to monitor it for now.
03/17 – CT Chest scan scheduled to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs. If results the are good, I get to stop taking Taxol!
05/17 – Second brain MRI scheduled
TiffanyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #87
Juls

Hi Tiffany

Thanks for reply.

I have already been on a trial with Perjeta & had progression after approx 2 years on it. To be accurate I had nearly 3 years on Perjeta but that was because 2 bone mets missed for a year on 4 CT's(?) so perjeta continued. Got 12 months more that I should have had! Hopefully it did help even if just a little.

I haven't been offered anything else. The only reason that an AI mentioned was because I said I'd hoped for no treatment change until end of April (after my Daughters wedding in 11 weeks) & Onc said she could give me an AI to tide me over till then! Personally I don't think an AI only for 3 months is a great option. It's a no go anyway because trial closes in less than 8 weeks.
Once again I feel that they had already decided my treatment. It had already been discussed with everyone except me.
I know its my decision in end but I think all options should have been given.
I do think that trial is my only option - I want TDM-1. Just concerned about side effects Apparently trial drug (if I get it) has "weird s/effects!!

Got appt with new trial Doctor on Thursday so will find out a bit more!
Juls
Old 02-08-2017, 06:14 AM   #88
TiffanyS

Hi Juls, I’m sorry to hear that you had progression on Perjeta. At least it worked for two years, which seems to be the average. I’m hoping to get two to three years on Perjeta before I have to transfer to the TDM-1.

I have to say I’m surprised that Perjeta is not covered in Scotland. I thought the health care system in the UK was pretty good. Is it different from region to region? I can understand by TDM-1 isn’t covered (although it should be), but I can’t understand why Perjeta isn’t. Is Herceptin covered at least?

My oncologist always decides my treatment for me before discussing it with me. She just comes in and tells me what drug she will be giving me next, and I have to research it on my own and then ask her questions at my next appointment. I’ve since been researching drugs on my own, which I have discussed with her, but I don’t’ think she likes that. She’s referred to “Dr. Internet” a few times, and not in a good way. I have made it very clear though that I was to be involved in all decision process, and, that I want a copy of all of my test results, and they told me that they would keep me informed. We shall see.

I think the TDM-1 is the best route for you to go right now, and, even if you get the placebo, you’ll at least be getting the TDM-1. I’ve read that on average, it works for about two years, which is the same as Perjeta. By then there may be a new drug on the market. I’ve also heard that there side-effects are not that bad from TDM-1. If you get the immuno drug, you’ll have to let us know what the side effects are.

I hope you like the trial doctor, and that he/she is a little more informative than your current oncologist. Keep us posted.

12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s post surgical. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months).
04/16 – Get second dose of chemo, but Docetaxal is left out due to liver enzymes being high. I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my chest wall. I am told that I have a local recurrence and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM-1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to monitor it for now.
03/17 – CT Chest scan scheduled to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs. If results the are good, I get to stop taking Taxol!
Old 02-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #89
Juls

Hi Tiffany
Thanks for reply!

Perjeta is a trial drug only at the moment in my area. I was lucky to get on trial of it 4 years ago.
Herceptin is standard so available to all.
Kadcyla is also not available mainly because of cost. I want Kadcyla and only way to get it in my area of Scotland is this trial!
I see new Doctor tomorrow and have been told he is very nice!! Think I might have met him before when my current Oncologist was on holiday. Fingers crossed it goes well. Tumour test results might not be back from Germany (Trial lab there) so this might delay decision.
Juls
Old 02-08-2017, 03:30 PM   #90
Mtngrl

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, Juls.

Amy
Old 02-08-2017, 05:04 PM   #91
Juls

Thanks Amy
I'll update when I have more info re this new treatment & trial. Got appt tomorrow with Oncologist & bone scan on Friday.
Juls
Old 02-09-2017, 05:46 AM   #92
TiffanyS

Juls, I hope you meeting with the new oncologist goes well today. Keep us posted.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 02-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #93
Juls

Thanks Tiffany
It seemed to go well today. All my questions answered directly and with no hesitation. As I expected - no real alternative offered. Once I've got my head round all this I'll update!
Have another long day tomorrow as I have bone scan.
Haven't changed my mind - think this is still best for me at the moment.
Apparently the drugs available as standard here are getting less and less- so have to get on this trial!
Juls
Old 02-10-2017, 05:34 AM   #94
TiffanyS

I’m glad everything went well, and that the oncologist answered all of your questions. It’s sad that the drugs available as standard care where you live are getting less. You would think it would be the opposite, and that with all of the new drugs on the market, you would have more options, not less. Can people at least pay for the drugs not covered by your medical care if they can afford it? I know that only a select few can afford to take these drugs on a regular basis, but they should at least at the option. It’s too bad. I’m really glad that this trial is available for you, and I hope everything works out for you.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 02-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #95
Juls

Hi
Bone scan done on Friday.
Have been told I will probably need another CT - amongst other tests.
Off all treatment for 4 to 5 weeks - For some reason Onc not overly concerned about this! He seems to think if met grows when off treatment it grows!!
Just realised today is 4 years exactly from original diagnosis. It's that lucky 13 again!
Geez!!
Old 02-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #96
TiffanyS

Hi Juls,

I’m glad that you’re getting more tests done. That way, you’ll know exactly what you’re dealing with when you start the trial. Don’t worry too much about not getting treatment for four to five weeks. My doctor told me that for most people, the cancer will not grow in such a short period of time. It will only happen if you have an aggressive cancer, which is what she keeps telling me I have. I think you’ll be okay, and you have your daughter’s wedding to keep you busy until then!

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 02-13-2017, 09:18 AM   #97
Juls

Thanks Tiffany.
Oncologist not overly concerned re growth but I don't know him well so don't know his work style.
My previous Oncologist seemed to go looking for issues even when reports said otherwise!
This liver met has appeared in less than 12 weeks on a Ct - & already at 2.5 cm. Which makes me think it was missed in October scan or is fast growing.
I commented on the fact that it was regrowth of original tiny liver met that should have been ablated 3 1/2 years ago. ( It wasn't done because of delay between Onc & liver specialist & by time replies received I had started chemo)
My new Onc then said he doesn't believe in doing any type of liver ablation. So if I don't get on trial , ablation is also out! A bit disappointed in this as I'm sure many ablations are successful.

This trial is a phase 2 with only 200 places worldwide. There is already 1 Lady on it in my area. Fingers crossed that I'm 2nd!!

Re - the wedding arrangements - exhausting!! In all ways.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:19 AM   #98
TiffanyS

Juls, I know how you feel. My oncologist is not overly concerned with the “pimples” that have grown along my scar, and she thinks they are just scar tissue, but is monitoring them for now. I, of course, am hesitant to believe that since that’s what they told me the last time, and it turned out to be cancer. Her mentality is that if it is cancer, it wouldn’t change my treatment plan anyway, and that the chemo should get it. I, however, want to know if it’s cancer, as that means it grew back while I was on a chemo break, which means the Perjeta and Herceptin don’t work for me without chemo.

I think that you are right, and that your liver met was missed in October. Let’s hope that’s the case, and that it’s not fast growing. Let’s hope you get on this trial so that you can get the drugs you need to shrink that liver met! In the meantime, try to enjoy life. I know that’s easier said than done!

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 02-17-2017, 10:43 PM   #99
Mtngrl

Keep us posted, Juls! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Amy
Old 02-18-2017, 04:49 AM   #100
Juls

Thanks Amy
I am still waiting! Doesn't look like I will be starting next Thursday!
Juls