HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2016, 02:24 AM   #1
sarah

color of chemo you're taking- what color?

Hello,
Could someone tell me which chemos are red?
I'm asking because an HER2 friend has heart artery spasms and the surgeon (no surgery possible for her) asked if the chemo she did some 10+ years ago was red. Apparently the molecule can cause this?!
So would like to know which ones are red.
My friend doesn't remember what she had.
I know, besides Herceptin, which I don't think is red, I had Taxol but I don't think that was red either but can't remember since it's 14 years ago now.
Thanks
Sarah
Old 11-27-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
Carol Ann

Re: color of chemo you're taking- what color?

The surgeon probably meant the chemo everyone calls The Red Devil -- Adriamycin. It has a risk of heart problems as a well documented side effect.

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

Nov 25, 2013 Begin 6 rounds TCH.

March 10, 2014 Just finished 6th and LAST Chemo today, YAAAAAY!

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

June 2014 Begin Fosamax to prevent osteoporosis; bone scan revealed osteopenia

Nov 17, 2014 FINAL Herceptin!

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

Dec 17, 2014 Port is OUT!

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
Becky

Definitely Adriamycin

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:12 AM   #4
sarah

Thanks Carol Ann and Becky, yes that looks like the one and I very much doubt she had it since she was never metastatic even though she had bc in the same breast twice.
stay well
love sarah
Old 11-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #5
Carol Ann

Sarah, Adriamycin is often given to patients who are early stage and not metastatic, so it probably is the one she had. THC has only become standard of care for early stage HER2 patients in the past few years, in fact my onc and I even discussed using Adriamycin (we didn't in the end) and I was Stage 1.

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

Nov 25, 2013 Begin 6 rounds TCH.

March 10, 2014 Just finished 6th and LAST Chemo today, YAAAAAY!

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

June 2014 Begin Fosamax to prevent osteoporosis; bone scan revealed osteopenia

Nov 17, 2014 FINAL Herceptin!

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

Dec 17, 2014 Port is OUT!

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #6
sarah

Ok, thanks Carol Ann. I did email our chemo nurse who's part of our English speaking cancer support group and asked her to ask my friend's onc about what chemo she was on but haven't heard back. Now I realize that she may really have had, I will work harder on this. Thanks
Be well and happy
love sarah
Old 11-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #7
tricia keegan

I agree it was Adriamycin and I had it too, it would be interesting to see who had heart issue's ten years on from this although I'm fine so far.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:18 PM   #8
suzan w

oh, yes, Adriamycin...the red devil...I went through my chemo with that...it was pretty brutal. I was only able to take (ie:survive the chemo!!) 4 out of a recommended 6 treatments. I am now 11 years out and have developed "esophageal spasms" which hit me like a heart attack the first time. Whew...not a pleasant experience. Even though I know now what they are it still knocks me flat each time. I had terrible mouth sores due to chemo and I think my severe GERD is a result of that...??? There does not seem to be any "treatment" for esophageal spasms as they come out of the blue and don't seem to be food related. So...the Red Devil still rears its ugly head...however I have to watch what I say because at the time I was diagnosed, A/C chemo was the first step to Herceptin. And...it all saved my life!!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:55 AM   #9
sarah

The chemo nurse said FEC and one is red. She said it's a very common combo. My friend only took Herceptin for a very short time because her Muga test was too low. However my friend did tell me she had some heart problem before getting cancer so now we think it's not connected.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:02 PM   #10
caya

I had FEC (x3) then Taxotere (x 3).

FEC is actually 3 different drugs and one of them is red. FEC-T was a very common chemo combo administered here in Canada when I had it (January - May 2007), 10 years ago.
Followed by a year of Herceptin, 17 infusions, one every 3 weeks. May be different now, I hope I never have to find out.

Happy New Year to all. I pray that everyone does well.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:25 AM   #11
sarah

Hello Caya,
Also hope you never have problems but between Herceptin, FEC and radiation, be sure to see a cardiologist and get checked for heart issues.
Have a happy and healthy New Year.
We're lucky to both live in countries were health is a right not just for those who can afford it.
love Sarah
Old 01-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #12
caya

Yes Sarah we are very fortunate to live in countries that have universal health care. I know it's not a perfect system, but as you say, every citizen is covered, regardless of their financial situation. It is bad enough to be sick, especially with a major life-threatening illness like cancer, and have to worry about the cost of treatment.
I did not have radiation, but did have chemo, Herceptin, Tamoxifen and Femara, as well as one Reclast infusion. I did see a cardiologist after I completed Herceptin, and did a lot of heart tests including a stress test. But that was about about 8 years ago, I guess it wouldn't heart to see him again.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
15 Years NED!!
Old 01-06-2017, 06:09 AM   #13
sarah

Hello Caya,
Yes definitely do some cardio check ups. My heart problem came 9 or 10 years after my radiation - however my radiation was done during a period when they did over radiate and also since mine had spread over my sternum where it was inoperable, I think they gave me extra zaps! One night I woke up thinking my whole insides were on fire! my husband quickly gave me liquid Maalox to swallow. Still better to be safe.
Take care and be well
love Sarah
ps you know I was born in Victoria!
Old 01-07-2017, 01:01 PM   #14
caya

Sarah I did not know you were born in Victoria. So you are a fellow Canuck (although I know you now live in France).

I will def. check this out.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
15 Years NED!!
Old 01-10-2017, 08:06 AM   #15
sarah

Yup, I'm a Canuck originally but now a mutt!!!