HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-25-2006, 09:11 PM   #1
Lani

CD44 targetting eliminates body of leukemic stem cells (and its on breast cancer stem

cells too!):

Targeting CD44 Eliminates Leukemic Stem Cells

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Sept 25 - Studies in SCID mice that were transplanted with human acute myeloid leukemia (AML) cells show that targeting the adhesion molecule CD44 leads to the loss of leukemic stem cells, researchers report in the September edition of Nature Medicine.

Senior investigator Dr. John E. Dick told Reuters Health that the study "provides a strategy to target the leukemic stem cells that are responsible for maintaining leukemic growth. We have learned," he continued, "that leukemic stem cells require trafficking to specific niches -- or supportive locations in the body -- to maintain their stemness."

By using an activating monoclonal antibody directed at CD44, Dr. Dick of the University of Toronto and colleagues managed to markedly reduce leukemic cell repopulation in the animals. leukemic stem cells, the authors note, are the only cell type capable of maintaining the leukemic clonal hierarchy.

These findings, said Dr. Dick, "demonstrate that the possibility of targeting a specific stem cell property, in this case trafficking, that can eradicate a so-called cancer stem cell."

"Since there are many proteins involved in trafficking," he added, "many of these could now be tested to determine if they also have anti-cancer stem cell activity."

The team further speculates that CD44 may be involved in the maintenance of solid tumors. Breast cancer stem cells, they observe, have been shown to express CD44.

Alteration of CD44 regulation, they conclude, "may provide a generalized therapeutic strategy to eradicate cancer stem cells through interrupting their interaction with supportive microenvironments."

Nat Med 2006.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:01 PM   #2
eric

I read this article as well and found it disheartening when they estimated 5-10 years away. I understand all that has to go into getting it thru the process but there's too many wonderful people including my wife that need better options faster. As a result, I wonder what we as a group can do to help expedite some of these things? Any one out there have any ideas?
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:53 AM   #3
Joy

No, but...

Eric, I get it. I know things are happening faster than before, but the system seems flawed to a degree. I have just hit a point of real frustration with it after 6 years. Sometimes I feel that the scientific processes after the development of something good are counterproductive to the point where it can even mess with results and reporting in addition to taking a long time. I have had my wheels spinning on this very thing all week, but so far I've just gotten stuck in the mud.

My best to you and your wife!

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
eric

Happily it didn't take the 5-10 projected years!

http://www.therapeuticsdaily.com/new...7&channelID=28

Arius starts pre-clinical study for cancer drug

Arius Research has initiated the first study in the formal preclinical toxicology program for its lead anti-CD44 drug candidate, which is under development for the treatment of breast, prostate and liver cancers.

Arius said that it expects to file an IND application and begin human clinical trials in 2008. The biotechnology company is developing the compound for the treatment of solid tumors such as breast, prostate and liver cancers. The drug targets cancer stem cells which are suspected of causing the spread of cancer even after patients appear to have responded to conventional treatments.Dr Robert Gundel, chief scientific officer of Arius, said: "A novel antibody that targets cancer stem cells as part of its mechanism of action represents a new approach to cancer treatment with the potential of better efficacy and less toxicity for patients."
eric is offline   Reply With Quote