HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-17-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
dede10

"NEVER GIVE UP"

After speaking with so many people, to include my Priest, that has been the consenses. When I was in so much pain & so ill from the Navelbine, last year, I wanted to just give up. Coming here, to this forum, and talking with others, makes a BIG difference. To know others are working through it, that there really is a light at the end of the tunnel does give me hope.

As I am beginning yet another round of chemo, this coming Tuesday, I realize though sometimes sick, I have had new grandkids born. I have watched my oldest 3 grandchildren turn 12 this year...they think they are grown now.
We have moved into a new home, one we picked out, & in the country. My husband & I have grown closer. I have seen a sister & brother who I had not seen in 40+ yrs! I think we have all grown closer....my family, my husband....

Through all the heartache of cancer, I am stil here, and even on the days I think I want to give up, I realize, later, I really don't. My onc tells me, there is always hope. So, knowing there will be bad days, & good days, I plan on never giving up. I plan on watching my grandchildren grow to young men & women. And growing old with my husban in our home.

Blessings to all!
dede

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Dum spiro spero
(Latin: while I breathe I hope)
dede10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
StephN

Thumbs up That's the SPIRIT!

Dear Dede -
Your inner Warrior Woman is there, just gets a little confused from time to time!
The gutsiness you describe is the way most of us here feel. We do not come to this site to discuss our funeral wishes - rather we want to know how to keep up in our ongoing battle.

Just as you mention, we hold our families so very dear, along with a few friends who have not tired of our medical condition and dropped by the wayside. We are long-termers and have learned to think that way.

Life on the cancer teeter-totter keeps us thinking and learning - pushing through the fog, taking a step at a time, whichever direction it may be. There is always something to contend with if you are stage IV, however we learn to put it in the background as much a possible.

Glad you posted your struggles with keeping HOPE at the forefront, and how you are achieving that.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Jean

Red face

Dear Dede,

Bravo to you..."Never Give Up" is the best frame of mind to have.
Each day new and exciting news of trials and research comes forward and each day we get a littile bit closr. Besides you have lots of work to do in that new home getting it organized and decorated. I wish you many blessing in your new home with years of joy and loads of memories.

Regards,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
lindaw

Thanks dede
So timely for me. Have been upset all night. got a new wig and its not quite right but paid a fortune. Skin on chest still weeping a way and keeping me poor with dressing changes etc, etc. Its been five years and I was thinking giving up would be easier- I'm a bit tired of it.

love
linda
lindaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Ceesun

Thanks Dede for keeping us all in the fight-we all need a pep talk and your can-do spirit, too. Despite all, there are joys to be found. xo Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
Karen Weixel

Dear Dede,

You are right... never give up!!! Your spirit is strong.

God bless you.

Karen
Karen Weixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
AlaskaAngel

Supporting each other

I believe this place is here so that no matter what our individual circumstances or choices may be, we are here to support each other. I would not want anyone to feel that the choices they make are not acceptable and that they are not welcome to speak.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:19 AM   #8
Marie G

Red face Thanks for The Encouragement

Thanks again for sharing your sweet inspiring spirit with us all. We all need that and I love knowing I can come here and gather what I need to go on each day. Keep that spirit and make sure you keep us posted on yourself, we need you so. Big hugs and prayers going out to you today and always, along with all the smiles I get thinking of you!!!>>Waiting For A Miracle>>Marie G
Marie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:16 AM   #9
newgg

Never !

This is why I love this board. Do not post often but read it each day when not traveling in the motor home. The raw courage, the research done, the scientific knowledge, the refusal to take the negative approach, the support on those bad days and we all have them, the attitude that "tough times don't last....tough people do" !! ( a quote from Va Tech) There is another quote that describes the power of positive force that is found here. It is by Colin Powell: "Perpetural optimism is a force multiplier". We all multiple the power of the fight and positive vibes in our loving support of all our Warriors as we make our different choices and travel on this journey. At the same time.....not wanting any more to join this "Warrior " club ! Thanks to all of my perpetural positive powerful force multipliers and Warriors !!
Hugs, Bonnie
newgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:14 AM   #10
Grace

I spoke to a friend recently (a nurse who should know better) and she said she thought John Edwards should not be running as Elizabeth was dying. I was very annoyed at her and for good reason and I also enlightened her, citing all the women on the HER2 forum. I wish someone would do a major TV show featuring all the Stage IV women on this site. It would be a huge encouragement to women like me who worry about recurrence. And it would teach others that there are many many stages after IV. But more than that, you all demonstrate the best of the human spirit and I thank you all for being here.

Speaking of: I get Google Alerts every day on HER2 and there are so many new drugs and vaccines in the pipeline--one recently showing that a Merck drug currently on the market, given with Herceptin, may suppress HER2 tumors. Of course, this still has to go into clinical trial with humans but it's very encouraging. So the fight is well worth it!
Old 05-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #11
suzan w

Talking

every day that we have is the Best Day!!! Thanks, Dede for helping me to remember!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:17 AM   #12
Caroline UK

I really like the things you said, Dede, especially "I am still here". Love and hugs to you.
HER2+++, ER+/PR+
Right mast. May 2006. 6 of 20 nodes positive
FEC x 4, taxotere x 4; port implanted after 6 cycles
Rads x 25
1 year of Herceptin ended Nov 07.
Arimidex 5 years

Considering reconstruction, maybe soon...
Caroline UK is offline   Reply With Quote