HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
YellowTail

YellowTail all done Chemo!

I am officially all DONE my 16-week chemo regiment!

On Monday I received my last taxol treatment and I wish there was a bell to ring at the chemo suites. However there was not, so quietly I left the chair, the IV pole, said a quiet goodbye to the nurse at the front desk and walked down the hallway in BLISS knowing that that was my last chemo. Reflecting I on those weeks I did exceptionally well, minimal side effects all around, no fevers, no hospitalization thank goodness. Certainly as you most probably can all relate to it was a journey filled with plenty of emotions across the scale of course. Comparing the 4XAC to the 4XTaxol, most definitely the AC was a more foggy and challenging time yet still tolerable. The taxol, very eay for me, the first two doses I had a few sore joints and muscle aches that were handled with Tylenol Extra Strength. The Nuelasta shots were also well tolerated and I did not have to have the last shot as I am done chemo, happy happy. Now what to do with all the anti-nausea meds and Tylenol 3's that I did not use? I guess I can take them to the pharmacy.

My Onc team is thrilled with my results, cancer free from the time I had the lumpectomy and node removal and very pleased with my actions and reactions to the treatments. For me I believe it is a collaboration between the traditional meds, positive outlook, yoga, rieki and meditation.

Now on to radiation, planning and tattooing done, begin Nov. 29 for 16 sessions and 5 boosters.

Tamoxifen begins Nov. 28th for 5-years.

I have been asked to be a part of a trail study as well. Has anyone else been asked to participate in the following? or any other studies and what are your thoughts?

A PHASE lll RANDOMIZED TRAIL OF METFORMIN VERSUS PLACEBO ON RECURRENCE AND SURVIVAL IN EARLY STAGE BREAST CANCER.

It is world wide, approximately 3582 people will take part. It is a double blind study placebo group and metformin group, we will only know who was on which med at the end of the study. I am doing more research before signing on however learning towards participating. The Metformin is a med that is tried and true on type 2 diabetics and has been shown to have good effects on other cancers according to some of the research I have come across. The purpose of this study is to find out whether it is better to receive the drug Metformin with the usual treatment for breast cancer, or not. The research is being done because previous laboratory work has shown that Metformin may decrease the growth of different types of cancer cells, including breast cancer cells. Research has shown that Metformin lowers the level of insulin, a hormone found in blood that can cause growth of the breast cancer. It is not know if Metformin will help prevent the recurrence of breast cancer in patients like myself who have had their breast cancer removed by surgery.

As noted earlier I am not certain to date if I will participate, I have a 2-weeks to decide what to do. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

On the road to complete recovery!
YellowTail is offline   Reply With Quote