HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Profiles In Courage
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2005, 08:50 AM   #1
*_Mary C_*

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer a year after my first child was born - I was 29 (September 2000). (I found the lump myself, but my doctor was really supportive and sent me for tests as soon as I told him as he said that pregnancy can bring on breast cancer).
After a mastectomy, I had a 6 month course of chemotherapy (Epirubicin, 5-Fluorouracil and Cyclosphosphamide) - I also had 6 weeks of radiation.
In the fall of 2001, I had my other breast removed and had tram-flap surgery.
In December of 2004, I was diagnosed with secondary liver cancer - I had taxotere and also started herceptin. I still take herceptin every 3 weeks.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:35 AM   #2
Gina

Hi, Mary,

And welcome to this site. Can already tell you will fit right in with the rest of us... I was 33 when I first got breast cancer and my son was only 6 so I can identify. I also ended up with liver mets in 1999. Have been using some version of Herceptin every since with great benefit. Hope this is encouraging to you. Are you also ER- PR- and Her-2 3+ like me?? Just wondering. Take care, Gina.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
Mary C

Hi Gina!
Thanks for the reply - I am ER positive (am taking tamoxifen), but don't even know if I am Progesterone postive or negative - I know I tested postive for the HER-2 gene, but don't really know the specifics - I will have to find out next week (I get Herceptin again) - thanks for the encouragement about Herceptin and having liver mets since 1999 - it gives me lots of hope!!
Take care,
Mary
Old 09-14-2005, 03:18 PM   #4
Mary C

Hi Gina - I am ER+ and PR+

Mary
Old 09-22-2005, 07:10 PM   #5
Rozebud

Mary - I'm also stage III, dx'd while pregnant with baby #2 (at 33). This was a year and a half ago, just finished chemo and my year of herceptin and on tamoxifen. So far NED (crossing fingers) but also very realistic.

Dx'd 1/04 at 33, while 33 weeks pregnant

Dx: Stage IIIC IDC, ER-, PR+ (23%), Her2=2.7 (IDC)/7.6 (FSH), 2.5cm primary tumor, grade III, 11/18+ nodes (largest 3.8 cm)

Treatment: A/C *4, T *4, 1 year of herceptin (BCIRG 006), mastectomy, rads (7 weeks), zoladex (5 years) with tamoxifen (2 years)/aromisin (3 years), bilateral SGAP summer 05 at NOLA

Oops, retested tumor and I guess I'm er/pr- after all.
Stopped all hormonal tx 10/07. Periods resumed 6/08. Bye bye hot flashes!!!!

http://www.edrie.com/kopecky
*~VISIT OUR FAMILY!~*
Rozebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:19 PM   #6
athena453

Yep, I'm another stage 3er who was dx young.
May 2, 2005 at age 27. 30/34+nodes, her2+, ER/PR-. Huge tumor, grade 3. I'm currently in treatment, taxotere, carbo, and herceptin, then rads. I'm lucky to have an agressive onc.
I'm not married and no kids, but hoping to get there!
Arielle
athena453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 07:34 AM   #7
Joy

welcome mary

Hi mary, there are a lot of us with these things in common. I was dxed with stage 1 while still nursing my second daughter. She was 14 months by the time all the tests were done. That was 2000. My older punkin was 3 at the time. My 2nd dx came in 2002 with extensive liver involvement and some lung activity. Now there seems to be bone stuff too. I've done a fair amount of chemo, lots of herceptin and a lot of hormonal manipulation as i am also er/pr+. I feel great and my daughters are 9 and almost 7 and i'll be damned if i'm going to let my ex-husband raise them without me.

Anyway we are here to fight together and you landed in the best place!

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:09 AM   #8
Unregistered

Thanks for the support - this website is a great place to connect with others in similiar circumstances as there are days when you need the support and encouragement, but you don't want to drag your "support" people ( husband, sister, etc.) down with you.
Kids certainly give you a reason to fight. In 1999 I was 3 months pregnant with my daughter, when my husband died of a massive heart attack (he was 35) - I have continued to fight since I was diagnosed in September of 2000. I was remarried in April of 2004 and although my new husband is great, I still feel that I must continue the fight of my life as I wouldn't want my daughter to lose both of her biological parents (I just feel there is an added pressure, although I know I would be fighting she is hard if her biological father was still alive too).
Mary
Old 09-26-2005, 09:00 PM   #9
lu ann

dx 14 years ago today at age 35

Hi Mary

I too was dx at an early age 14 years ago today. It was stage 1, I had mod. rad. mast. w/tram flap recon., 6 mos of chemo, no rad. I remained symptom free until fall of 2003. I was dx. with stage 4, Feb 2004, to mediasynim, and bones. I really didn't think I would live 6 months, but here I am almost 2 years later, along with many other ladies on this board. It amazes me how long we are all hanging in there when other cancers have taken the lives of so many. Breast cancer does not have to be a mandatory death sentence as once was thought. Just hang in there and keep the faith.

Blessings, Lu Ann.

P.S. I also had an 8 month old who is 14 years old now. I'm planning to be around to celebrate her many birthdays to come.
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:19 AM   #10
mary c

Hi Lu ann!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Mary
mary c is offline   Reply With Quote