HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #1
Cathya

Cracking Cancer....A Cdn production but I believe something similar is done at Yale

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/m/e...racking-cancer

The Facts About Cancer
- Cancer is responsible for 30% of all deaths in Canada.
- 2 out of 5 Canadians will develop cancer in their lifetimes.
- 1 in 4 will die from cancer.
- New Canadian cancer cases are expected to increase 40% over the next 15 years.

At age 33, Zuri Scrivens discovered she had breast cancer. She endured a mastectomy, radiation, chemo and hormone therapy. But within nine months, Zuri’s cancer was back — and had spread to her liver and lymph nodes. Her disease was now considered incurable, and she faced the very real prospect she’d never see her toddler grow up.

That was six years ago. Today, Zuri has no signs of cancer, not because of a miraculous new cancer drug, but thanks to a standard treatment for diabetes. Zuri Scrivens has become the poster child for a revolutionary approach to cracking cancer.

It’s called POG - Personalized OncoGenomics - and it’s the subject of the gripping new documentary. With exclusive and rare access, Cracking Cancer follows a group of patients, all with incurable cancer, through the highly experimental clinical trial at the BC Cancer Agency, a trial that holds the promise of personalized cancer diagnosis and treatment.

The trial compares patients’ normal DNA – each cell’s complete set of instructions – with that of their tumours, to find the genetic mutations causing their cancer. That means sequencing a patient’s whole genome, including roughly 20,000 genes. Researchers sift through mountains of data for the point or points where things went haywire: a mutation or mutations. Then the hunt for an effective tool to tackle the cancer begins.

Dr. Janessa Laskin, co-founder of the POG trial.
“We’re trying to find what’s driving that cancer,” says Dr. Janessa Laskin, who is co-founder of the trial. “And then, can we identify a drug that will block the cancer driver in each patient?” Zuri’s cancer driver was a mutation that caused a very high growth factor. The team painstakingly plowed through decades’ worth of scientific discovery, to isolate which drug in all of medicine, not just cancer, might block that growth factor. They zeroed in on a diabetes medication. Zuri received the drug, and continued standard hormone treatment. Within five months, her cancer became undetectable.

When POG launched in 2012, there were only 30 cancer patients in the trial. But initial results were so promising it has expanded to take in 750 patients to date. It’s aiming to enrol 5,000.

SCENE FROM THE FILM: "I had to double check that this was actually Trish's Pet scan." Dr. Howard Lim was shocked when POG worked for his patient.
“The hope is the more patients you can bring into the program and test and compare the better. My outcome has shown that anything is possible,” says a grateful Zuri. Her breathtaking recovery illustrates a radical new way of treating cancer, not according to where it originates in the body, but rather as a disease of genetic mutations.

Dr. Marco Marra, one of the world’s leading genome scientists and co-founder of the trial, says, “What would you do with 100,000 fully characterized genomes where you knew how the cancers had behaved after being treated? I think you would have a resource that might actually revolutionize how we develop drugs.”

Considering new Canadian cancer cases are expected to increase 40 per cent over the next fifteen years, millions of us stand to benefit from the knowledge gleaned through POG. In the meantime thousands more will join the trial, all hoping for their own salvation, all helping science to crack the cancer code.

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:52 AM   #2
TiffanyS

Re: Cracking Cancer....A Cdn production but I believe something similar is done at Ya

Thanks for posting Cathy. I hope the POG trial does eventually enroll 5,000 people, and that it continues to be so successful. My doctor has me on a waiting list for genetic testing, to determine why my cancer is so aggressive. She said the results could determine a new treatment plan for me. It’s not a trail, however, it sounds similar to how this trial works. She just got me on the waiting list a few weeks ago, and she said it could take months for me to get an appointment. I hope I get an appointment sooner than that!

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Second mammogram and ultrasound.
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
01/16 – Chest scan and bone scan done– all looks good.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s post surgical. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months).
04/16 – Have port put in.
04/16 – Get second dose of chemo, but Docetaxal is left out due to liver enzymes being high. I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment.
06/16 – Finished chemo! One month off and then I start radiation.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
07/16 – First radiation treatment – 24 more to go!
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my chest wall. I am told that I have a local recurrence and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Go for rush ultrasound, bone scan, breast MRI and CT scan.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM-1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
11/16 - CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are normal at 19.
11/16 – Second CEA blood test – Tumours markers are still normal at 1.6 Second CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are still normal at 19
11/16 – Develop lymphedema and have to wear a sleeve
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to monitor it for now.
01/17 – A second “pimple” shows up on chest wall, as well as a small lump under the skin. My doctor thinks it’s scar tissue and will monitor it for now.
0/17 – Started to develop severe back pain – worried the cancer has spread to my spine.
03/17 – Third CEA blood test and CA-15-30 blood test – awaiting results.
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – awaiting results. If results are good, I get to stop taking Taxol!
03/17 – Second brain MRI scheduled for end of month.
TiffanyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
Cathya

Re: Cracking Cancer....A Cdn production but I believe something similar is done at Ya

Tiffany;

I do hope you get in sooner for the genetic testing. If you are in Canada you could ask your doctor to try to get you into the trial. I think they do something similar at Yale Medical school so if you're in the US you could try to speed things up there. I know it took me a year all in for genetic testing. It was to test for BRCA so perhaps that's why. It happened after I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. I would show this article to your doctor and discuss it. I found I had to be my own advocate and I even registered for a clinical trial in the states when I was first diagnosed and my oncologist was happy when I told him.

Cathy

Stage 1C
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:36 AM   #4
TiffanyS

Hi Cathy, I am in Canada, and I will bring the article with me and ask my doctor about the trial. She’s mentioned getting me into a trial in the past, but then changed her mind after my last CT scan in December. Since my current treatment plan seems to be working for me, she said there’s no reason for a trial. Also, she told me that she doesn’t want me to get a placebo. I’ll see what she says about this trial at my next appointment, which is when we should be getting the results of the CT chest scan I took last week. If it looks good, I get to stop taking Taxol. If it’s not good, maybe we could look into this trial.

I’ve already done the BRCA test (I don’t have the mutation), and am now waiting for an appointment for more genetic testing. My doctor didn’t tell me the name of the test. She just said that it could determine why my cancer is so aggressive, and why I’m responsive to some drugs and not others. Apparently it’s very expensive, and each doctor is only allowed to refer a certain amount of patients each year. Maybe that’s why it took her so long to get me on the list, as she had mentioned this test to me in September, but just got me on the list a few weeks ago, after I reminded her about it a few times. Let’s hope I get an appointment soon!

12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s post surgical. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months).
04/16 – Get second dose of chemo, but Docetaxal is left out due to liver enzymes being high. I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my chest wall. I am told that I have a local recurrence and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM-1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
11/16 – Second CEA blood test – Tumours markers are still normal at 1.6 Second CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are still normal at 19
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to monitor it for now.
01/17 – A second “pimple” shows up on chest wall, as well as a small lump under the skin. My doctor thinks it’s scar tissue and will monitor it for now.
0/17 – Started to develop severe back pain – worried the cancer has spread to my spine.
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – awaiting results. If results are good, I get to stop taking Taxol!
Old 03-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #5
Cathya

Tiffany

That does sound good. I agree you don't want to take a chance on a placebo although my impression is that there are none in this trial. However, you might need to be at a much more advanced stage and would not qualify. I like to keep very current on anything that offers options just in case. When you've been diagnosed with 2 different cancers you come to realize you're high risk for anything...lol. So, it's good to discuss these things with her and file it away hopefully for no good reason.

Cathy

Stage 1C

Old 03-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
TiffanyS

It’s a good idea to stay on top of things Cathy. I try to do so as well, although I think my oncologist gets annoyed with me sometimes. She’s told me more than once that I need to stay away from “Dr. Internet” and she doesn’t like it when I ask too many questions. I think she’s used to dealing with people who just do what they are told, and is not used to dealing with someone like me, who wants to discuss my diagnosis and treatment options in detail. I know it annoys her that I ask for a copy of all of my scan results, but, as I’ve told her, it’s my right to have them. We have a new Fellow now, and he’s great. He’s very knowledgeable, and is willing to explain things in detail, and he thinks it’s empowering for people with cancer to ask questions and become knowledgeable about their diagnosis and treatment plan. I think he’ll be with us for the next year, and I hope to see him more often. I prefer to deal with him than my oncologist.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 03-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #7
Cathya

This clinical trial is currently recruiting participants. I once registered for a clinical trial in New York State while I live in Canada so I would check it out if it is of interest to you. There is hope here I believe.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/results/NCT02155621

Stage 1C

Old 03-13-2017, 04:44 AM   #8
TiffanyS

Thanks Cathy. I’ll look into the trial, and mention it to my doctor tomorrow. I’m surprised that you were able to register for a clinical trial in the States. Did you have to move to New York for the trial, or could you take part in it from home? I know that I can’t move to BC, so I would need to be able to participate in this trial from home if I decided to apply.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 03-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #9
Cathya

Tiffany;

I live right at the US/Canadian border so I could drive. I signed up via phone and when I told my oncologist he told me that it was a good idea and we'll see if I need it. I live outside Ottawa and went to the General Hospital there. All scans are placed into digital form on everyones computers so my oncologist would know immediately if there was an issue. I do think though that I was particularly lucky to get him. So sorry he's retired but good on him.

Cathy

Stage 1C

Old 03-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #10
TiffanyS

It would be very difficult for me to go to BC regularly. Flights are expensive, and, I work full time. I know they do trials at my hospital, but I don’t know if they are taking part in this trial. I’ll ask my doctor when I see her tomorrow.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 03-15-2017, 04:56 AM   #11
TiffanyS

I went for treatment yesterday, and I followed up regarding the genetic testing that my oncologist ordered for me, and asked when I could expect to receive an appointment. The fellow I met with wasn’t aware that my oncologist had put my name on this list, but said he’d follow up for me. I told him about the POG study in BC and he was aware of it. He told me that the genetic tests I’m waiting to get are similar to the ones being offered in the trial, and that the results may determine why my cancer is so aggressive, and why I may be resistant to some medications. It may also allow them to customize a treatment plan for me. The downside is, it could be months before I get an appointment, and then another few months before I get the results. I just wish my oncologist had put my name on the list back in September like she said she would. If she had, I may have had these test done already. Going forward, I’m going to have to be more persistent with her, as she seems to be very forgetful.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
03/17 – Third CEA blood test and CA-15-30 blood test – Both normal at 2.5 and 25
Old 03-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #12
Cathya

Tiffany;

It might be worth your while to call the BC trial and find out what might be available to you out here. Tell them your circumstances and find out if they have any ideas.

Cathy

Stage 1C

Old 03-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #13
TiffanyS

Thanks Cathy, I’m going to talk to my oncologist first next Tuesday, and see what she can offer me. I’m going to see if they offer a similar trial close to where I live, and, if so, if I can apply. If not, I can call the coordinators in BC and see if I can take part in the trial, even though I don’t live there.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
03/17 – Third CEA blood test and CA-15-30 blood test – Both normal at 2.5 and 25
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – results are mixed. The good news is, lymph nodes are stable, there was improvement of previous lung changes due to radiation, and the cancer has not spread to my bones, spine or liver, etc. The bad news is that while some lung nodules remained stable, others increased by 1-2 mm. All of them were less than 1cm.
03/17 – Ultrasound scheduled to determine size of “pimples” on my chest wall. They will follow up with a second Ultrasound in three months, to see if they are growing
Old 03-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #14
TiffanyS

I just emailed the fellow who gave me the news of my CT scan via email, and asked him if they were offering a trial similar to the POG trial in my area. If told him if they are, I’d like to see if I qualify. I also followed up with him regarding the genetic testing that I’m waiting to get done. I asked him if he had a time frame for me, as I’d like to get these tests done sooner rather than later. Hopefully he responds to me and doesn’t make me wait until we meet next Tuesday.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – results are mixed. The good news is, lymph nodes are stable, there was improvement of previous lung changes due to radiation, and the cancer has not spread to my bones, spine or liver, etc. The bad news is that while some lung nodules remained stable, others increased by 1-2 mm. All of them were less than 1cm.
03/17 – Ultrasound scheduled to determine size of “pimples” on my chest wall. They will follow up with a second Ultrasound in three months, to see if they are growing
Old 03-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #15
Cathya

Tiffany;

We had a similar type of BC. Mine was also Her2+ ER/PR+. Also stage 3, grade 3. I was tested after I got ovarian cancer for BRCA and have a VUS.....variation of unknown significance.

Cathy

Stage 1C

Last edited by Cathya; 03-16-2017 at 01:23 PM..
Old 03-17-2017, 04:48 AM   #16
TiffanyS

Hi Cathy, I emailed the fellow last night, asking him about the POG trial. He said that he doesn’t think they are doing a similar trial in my area, however, there was a limited study called Foundation One which has the same principle but they have asked for only 10 patients for whom they can do it for free. He’s going to mention it to my oncologist, however, he thinks they already have their 10 people. He also advised that they do have another clinical trial for HER2 positive breast cancer that we can discuss on Tuesday. He doesn’t think I need a trial though. He believes that the Perjeta/Herceptin/Taxol treatments still have activity, as they stopped the growth of the lymph node and some pulmonary nodules, and slowed down the growth of the other nodules which have increased by only 1-2 mm. He says that it’s good news that the nodules are still under a centimeter. I then asked him if I should transfer to T-DM1, and he said no. He said if I transfer to T-DM1 now, and it doesn’t work, I can’t go back to Perjeta and Herceptin.

I’m sorry that you developed ovarian cancer after having to go through breast cancer treatment. Has your cancer spread anywhere else? I was tested for the BRCA gene after being diagnosed, because of my age and the fact that my aunt died of ovarian cancer, however, I tested negative. If I had tested positive, they would have allowed me to have surgery to remove my other breast and my ovaries, but, because I don’t have the BRCA gene, that’s out of the question.

Cancer certainly does suck!

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – results are mixed. The good news is, lymph nodes are stable, there was improvement of previous lung changes due to radiation, and the cancer has not spread to my bones, spine or liver, etc. The bad news is that while some lung nodules remained stable, others increased by 1-2 mm and new ones have shown up All of them were less than 1cm.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #17
Cathya

Tiffany;

Why aren't you taking an anti-hormone treatment. I don't know your age but I took arimidex. I always felt that that treatment was more effective for me than herceptin as I was only Her2++ not Her2+++ like most of the hormone negative women.

I was very fortunate with the ovarian cancer and was diagnosed stage 1 and so far so good. As I said I had a VUS on the BRCA.....an unknown variant. However, I have been told that having 2 different cancers I am high risk.....big surprise lol.

Also, years ago I remember there was an organization who provided free travel for cancer patients. I believe it was by air.

Cathy

Stage 1C

Last edited by Cathya; 03-17-2017 at 01:38 PM..
Old 03-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #18
donocco

It took me a while to find the info but the anti-diabetic drug Zuri Scrivins received was Metformin. I imagined this but was not sure. I was very curious, mot that Metformin woould have the same miraculous effect on everybody or most. Still I was curious.

Paul
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #19
Cathya

Yes, that was her treatment. A few years ago I was reading about the work being done at Yale and it was very similar. It is the view that it doesn't matter where the cancer is, it is it's genetic cause that's important. This means that any treatment available for any cause can be used if it works for your own individual situation.

Another option is one that is being tested here in Ottawa by Dr. John Bell. He uses a virus targeting your cancer to attack it in the body. Similar tests are also being done in the US and I watched a television show about this process being used to treat brain tumors on one of the US channels.

There are so many exciting discoveries being made in the fight against this horrible disease. The thing is that there is hope for all who have cancer now and it will only get better.

Stage 1C

Old 03-18-2017, 12:21 PM   #20
donocco

Cathya

There is a lot of hope for the future but there is also a big problem. Not that it cant be solved. Im referring to the FDA. If you have a job you have to keep the boss satisfied. This is a statement as true as "every day you get a day older." The please the boss thing =keep your job really isnt up for debate

The FDAs boss is Congress. The FDA became extremely powerful after Congress past the Kefauver-Harris ammendment in 1962 after the Thalidomide tragedy in Europe. Its 2017 now not 1962.

Every boss has a boss. Congress is bossed by the lobbys who give them campaign contributions. The American voters only have supreme importance on election day. As far as I see it the main Lobbies in the Heallth Care system are the Drug Companies and the Insurance companies. These two lobbys are at odds with each other. The drug companies want to sell their drugs and the insurance companies hate paying for them. The FDA is caught in the middle as to keep their jobs they have to please both lobbies. Not that easy. Whats is a possible solution of pleasing two opposing lobbies.

One solution is to approve an expensive cancer drug ( Drug lobby happy) but for a single type of cancer and even then only after Chemo A,B,and C have been tried. This is basically what is being done. You can see the paradox. The media message is get your mammogram, colonoscopy whatever and find cancer early. But all newly approved drugs are for advanced cancer after Chemos AB and C have been tried. This saves the in surance companies a lot of money. Now both lobbies are happy. Supoose they find a type of Herpes virus that attacks 7 different types of cancer cells (including breast cancer of most types) and the FDA approval says the attacking virus is approved for advanced non small cell lung carcinoma after Adrriamycin, A Platinum chemo and a Taxane have been tried. This is not going to help breast cancer patients.

If this sounds paranoid and off the deep end it isnt . Take Movantik. Its not a chemo, it is used to treat the constipation of opiate narcotics a big problem in cancer when you consider the high doses of say Morphine needed to control pain. This kind of opiate constipation is not the funny "occasional irregularity" euphimism you see on TV commercials.

Yet the FDA approval for Movantik specifically says Movantil is FDA approved for non cancer opiate induced constipation. Do you think this is an accident? I dont.

Paul
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote