Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-12-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
Tom

Greens and cancer

Eat Up Your Greens And Fight Cancer

Daily Mail

10-12-06

BRUSSELS sprouts and cabbages have found a new role in the war on breast cancer.

They have already been identified as possible aids in preventing the disease. Now scientists say they may also be capable of treating it.

Researchers at the University of Lancaster fed cancer cells with doses of around 350mg of the natural compound I3C, roughly the same amount found in a trolley-full of cabbages.

When the compound was used together with common chemotherapy drugs, the tumour cells died.

Professor Margaret Manson said the trials were in the early stages but could eventually benefit cancer patients.

Speaking at the National Cancer Research Institute's conference in Birmingham, she added: 'Obviously, in humans you would want to reverse the cancer, but if you could even halt it so it does not progress further, that would be beneficial.

'Usually what kills patients is metastatic cancer, where it spreads around the body. Although we need to carry out further studies on tumours removed from patients, the potential benefits are clear.' The compound I3C is also found in broccoli, cauliflower and kale.

Just for the record guys, I3C is indole-3 carbinole
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote