HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2020, 01:37 AM   #1
Marcia345

Question Is anyone familiar with using Noscapine for breast cancer treatment?

Hi Everyone,
Is anyone here familiar with using Noscapine as a breast cancer treatment? I have been reading a lot of the research on it lately. It is a non-addictive extract of the opium plant that has been shown to be highly effective at treating breast cancer (without adverse side effects). Please let me know if you have any information or experience with it. Thank you!

Anyone who is interested can read this article which has a lot of the information and has a list of a lot of the scientific research and studies performed on it
Marcia345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #2
donocco

Re: Is anyone familiar with using Noscapine for breast cancer treatment?

I read a little about it due to your post. In the test tube it enhances apoptosis or cancer cell death by increasing the protein that induces apoptosis (called BAX) and decreasing te protein that inhibits apoptosis (called BAD).Ill research the drug and see if anything as been done recently with breast cancer patients

Paul
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:14 AM   #3
Marcia345

Hi Paul! Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help. If you look at this article and scroll down to the bottom, it has a list of a bunch of different studies about Noscapine's effect on breast cancer. I find it fascinating that a medicine which doesnt even require a prescription has been used a cough suppressant for so many years is now showing to be so effective at treating cancer when used at higher doses.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:20 PM   #4
donocco

Marcia

Ill check the articles out. This is the first time I ever heard of this about Noscapine but apparently some of the research goes back to the 1950s
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:42 PM   #5
Nguyen

Bratisl Lek Listy. 2020;121(1):43-50. doi: 10.4149/BLL_2020_007.

Cytotoxic, anti-proliferative and apoptotic effects of noscapine on human estrogen receptor positive (MCF-7) and negative (MDA-MB-231) breast cancer cell lines.
Kocak C, Kocak FE, Ozturk B, Tekin G, Vatansev H.
Abstract
AIM:

Noscapine, a naturally occurring alkaloid obtained from opium poppy, is a microtubule-targeting agent. This study is aimed to investigate the effects of noscapine on human breast cancer cell lines by comparing them with those of tamoxifen and docetaxel.
METHODS:

MCF-7 and MDA MB-23 cell lines were used to observe the effects of docetaxel, tamoxifen, and noscapine on cell proliferation. For each drug, cell blocks were prepared from cultured cells treated with IC50 dose of each drug and these were examined histologically. The expressions of Ki-67, Bcl-2, BAX, and cyclin-D1 were assessed immunohistochemically.
RESULTS:

Although noscapine showed cytotoxic effects on both cell lines in a time and dose dependent manner, MDA-MB-231 cells were more susceptible to its effects. Noscapine inhibited MCF-7 and MDA-MB-231 cells proliferation in vitro with IC50 value of 29 µM and 69 µM, respectively, which was comparable with IC50 of tamoxifen (40 µM and 50 µM) and docetaxel (43 nM and 32 nM). Noscapine showed anti-proliferative effects by decreasing Ki-67, cyclin-D1 and apoptotic effects by increasing BAX/Bcl-2 ratio in both breast cancer cells. Its effect was comparable with tamoxifen and docetaxel.

CONCLUSION:

Noscapine may be a good chemotherapeutic agent for the treatment of breast cancer, especially in estrogen receptor‑negative breast cancer (Tab. 2, Fig. 7, Ref. 40).
Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #6
Marcia345

Nguyen-Wow, thank you so so much for all that info. where did you find it? It seems a pharmacy in Singapore currently has Noscapine available
Old 01-22-2020, 04:22 PM   #7
Nguyen

The info from pubmed using the below search phrase

noscapine AROUND (5) "breast cancer"

I described the search technique in this link

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68109

After the initial search result come back, click on the "tools" label (below google search field, toward the right) which exposes the "All" option (below the search field toward the left), below this "All" option, you can specify time frame to search for.

With respect to noscapine, keep in mind data in the above abstract came from cell lines and in test tube experiment.

Also I am highly skeptical/concern with medication/supplement that comes from oversea (perhaps except Japan). Even conventional med that one can buy from US has problem if manufactured from China or India, as recent expose' have shown.

Good luck and best wishes,

Nguyen
Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breast cancer, noscapine, treatment