HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #41
BonnieR

Re: Christine has passed away

Lexi, what's up? Have not seen you around. Hope you are doing ok. Keep the faith

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #42
tricia keegan

I've been offline for a while and was told about Christine's passing from someone else and was so sad to hear it. I didn't have the chance to meet your parents but spoke to your Dad quite often, my sincere condolence's to all your family and my thanks to Joe and Christine for founding this site for all of us. xx
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #43
Shobha

My deepest condolences to the family. I cannot imagine how lost I would have been all these years without this site. Christine and Joe will always be in my heart and I am forever grateful to them.

-shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #44
bmorr7

I'm so sorry to hear about Christine's passing. Our prayers are with her and her family. May she rest in peace.
bmorr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #45
MJo

I haven't checked in for a while and just found out about Christine. I met them in a wonderful Italian restaurant in Jersey with some other East Coast survivors -- Becky, Joan. The food was great. Joe wanted to discuss business and Christine said "No business. I want to talk" And boy did we talk -- gossip, sharing BC stories, laughing, talking about our relatives. It was great. We did manage to do some business, too.

I admired (maybe envied a little) your parents for their intelligence, creativity and drive -- after all, they created this incredible Her2support.org. They were also so generous. They made a difference in this world. They left it a better place. Bless them both.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #46
Rolepaul

Late response,

Sorry to hear about your mother. I want to say thank you to your parents and yourself. This site gave me inspiration to save my wife. Without it I would have given up back at Christmas 2011. Instead, Nina is doing great and her treatment will likely save thousands of lives in the future. It gave an opportunity for several of the people on here to get treated for disease in the brain and spine. I will stop by your mother's grave and put roses on it the next time I see my mother's grave in Riverside. My mother died from HER+. My wife did not. Thanks to your mother and the progress of the pharma industry there are many more that will be saved.
Rolepaul
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #47
rinaina

I had the wonderful opportunity to meet both Joe and Christine when I helped them in Chicago during a huge Cancer meeting at McCormick Place. I worked with them over the entire weekend for 3 days and Debbie and Christine and I even got the chance to do a little shopping on Michigan Avenue and have a ladies lunch. What impressed me the most of this family was their dedication to each and every Her2 support member and every diagnosed Her 2 patient. They were such selfless people who for the sake of others never stopped their mission. Christine, despite her own serious battles was always there pushing herself for the sake of everyone else. I never met such incredibly devoted people as Christine and Joe. My heart aches knowing the world, not just us but the millions who haven't even been diagnosed yet, will never get to experience the wonderfulness of Joe and Christine. To Danielle and Debbie, my most heartfelt sympathies. You were so blessed to have the wonderful parents you have had. I know you will continue to live by their example. I know I will always remember Joe and Christine and all they did for so many, always putting others first. Rest in Peace as you meet again and no doubt plotting your next plan together. I worked with them on their anniversary and their love for each other was so apparent. It is somewhat comforting knowing they are together once again.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #48
KDR

What a wonderful legacy to leave: a world-reknowned safe place for persons coping with HER2 specifically. Through this site I have made some wonderful friends and even had the pleasure of traveling to the West Coast to visit with Kim (radiant) and Courtney's husband, Jay, discuss options and other treatment decisions at length with Waterdreamer (Fern, still looking for you). Here on the East Coast, the friendship abound as well. lk1, JoanM, Donna. Thanks for upkeeping and maintaining such a fine community space.
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #49
wendyjames2

I am a new member so I really didn't really had the chance to meet Christine but reading this thread made my tears fall. Rather than condolence what I'd like to say is congratulations for the legacy Christine left (Danielle and your sister). She will always be remembered.

Thank you for this support group most especially.
wendyjames2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #50
Sherryg683

I am so saddened to hear this, I haven't been to the board in awhile and this is the first thing I read upon returning. Breaks my heart
Sherryg

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #51
Kimberly Lewis

So sorry to hear that Christine is gone! I have not been here for a long time. My Mom got lung cancer and I was her sole caretaker for over 2 years now. I so appreciate all that this site has done for me and others. I join Sassy (Rhonda) in saying that I feel like I wouldn't have been here to care for my Mom if this site hadn't educated me on my cancer, my BRCA2 Status etc. Thank you so very much. I join you this year in the loss of my own Mom. Sending along a Christmas remembrance and a very grateful heart!

Diagnosed 7/05
Stage 3a er+(45%) pr+(68%) Her2+ (40%)
3.8 cm + .8cm multi focal - pleomorphic lobular tumors
high grade DCIS
7/20 nodes

BRCA 2
positive as of 5/07
surgeries: double mastectomy, hysterectomy (LAVH)
A/C,Herceptin for 1 year completed 11/06
femara

Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:17 PM   #52
kcherub

I haven't been over here in a long time, but just last night I was thinking of Joe and found time to pop over. I am just devastated at the loss of Christine. Both of them, plus all of you, got me through some very tough times.

Sending much love.
KBB
ER/PR 90%+ HER2 +
6 TCH started 5/25/2007, ended after #5 due to steroid "reactions" and neuropathy in feet and hands
BUT--#6 CH w/o Taxotere
Begin Herceptin alone 9/28/2007
30 rads completed 12/19/2007
Finish Herceptin 5/9/2008
Stopped Tamoxifen early--HATED it.
Married 17 years
13-year old son
3 embies on ice (from 1999)
GA, USA

kcherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #53
duga35

I am so sorry to hear that your mother has passed on. Both of your parents were wonderful people. When I first came to the site after being dx, I was apprehensive at posting because I am a male. Both of your parents came to my rescue and assured me that it was ok for me to be here and learn. My prayers and love have been sent to both and also to you and your family.

God Bless.....
Tumor Stage pt1b NO MO
DCIS Tumor size 1.5 x 1.x .6cm
Infiltration tumor size .25X.17 cm
Bloom-Richardson Grade 3(score 8)
Nuclear Grade 3 with comedo necrosis
Estrogen+/Progestrone+/HER-2/Neu +++
FISH ratio 4.31
Lymph node removal scheduled 1/07/08
17 nodes tested and all negative 1/08/08
Started Tamoxifin 1/29/08
Oncotype DX score 52 (off the charts, according to my onc!!!)
Starting TCH 3/14/08
BRCA I Positive BRCA II Negative
Finished TC 6/27/08 continue Herceptin
8/1/08 Herceptin stopped due to low Muga score
Mastectomy on left breast 11/10/08
duga35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:30 AM   #54
Ais4Abbott

I'm very sorry to read that your mom passed away. I do not know my way around this site very well, but I know your mom had fought the battle for years. I am very sorry to ask, was it HER2 that killed her? I don't find any posts about it. I am very sorry to be so blunt. Personally, I was very much hoping that Herceptin had knocked it down and out forever. I am from Texas and have recently learned that the CB1 and CB2 in cannabis can kill cancer cells. I was wondering if your mom tried it, if it helped at all. Being in Texas, I personally don't know anyone using cannabis, or using it to fight cancer. It seems to have no side effects or toxicity and I have read it can kill virtually any cancer in 90 days, if used correctly. I have had HER2+ twice now, and am suffering from the toxicity of the companion drugs used with Herceptin. So, I am rethinking what I will do next. I can not do those companion drugs ever again. I am very sorry to ask, and if this offends you, please just delete it, and I will understand. I am being selfish, to some degree. If your mom did use Rick Simpson Oil, and it didn't help, then it would be the first case I had heard of that a cancer wasn't cured from cannabis. It is hard to know what to believe. I used to believe in MD Anderson, but I don't anymore.
Mastectomy
Tram Flap - 1) wish I could delete that.
2)Interested if anyone did this, and then got implants. 3)Ruined stomach muscle. (Appreciate info about fixing this).
Recommend New Orleans instead of MD Anderson for all surgery.
12/17/2010 TCH 6x/3wks Herceptin 3/wks til 11/17/11.
12/23/2010 Lost Hair - 10/5/2011 Wig free - 4/14/2013 Long Hair again.
Severe nail detachment-(Past) 10/2011 - toenails still trying to grow back. 4/14/2013 - Normal toenails & fingernails.
Severe neuropathy (upper thighs/upper arms) - taser sensation - (in the past), light touch finger or toes = burning. Sock free (still). Can bend knees and ankles, now. Dr. stopped Docetaxel after 5th, due to possible permanent nerve damage. (now in hands/fingers, feet/toes - pain, interested in help). 4/14/2013 - Neuropathy much less. Nerve damage is permanent in fingers & toes, hands & feet. Toekini ($10) from CVS pharmacy works great for my CIPN - feet at night. Nothing can touch my toes without burning me. I can not braid hair - fingertips do not work right.
Severe constipation - (made worse by drinking small swallow of water with Senecot instead of a full glass of water - caused concrete type blockage of bowels - drink lots of water with it!)-(Past)
Severe Reflux - (great medicine available for this) - Carafate (past)
4/14/2013 Much happier now. Smiling a lot. Started working in the yard again, but must wear toeless sandals. Blessed. Best wishes & Blessings to you all. Has anyone had success with Rick Simpson Oil in curing HER2? Very interested in hearing details. I live in Texas and do not know anyone that has tried it. We can not use it here.
Ais4Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #55
Gabrielle

So very sorry.
Gabrielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #56
Terri B

Location: me & my three HANDSOME grandsons!!Jacksonville, Arkansas

I've been very absent from here for a long time. I'm so sorry to hear of Christine's passing. My condolences to you and your incredible family.

Like so many, this site got me through some of the darkest times of my life. I can only pray that the legacy continues and people continue to reap the benefits and information that this site offers.

Much love, all

Terri B
1.5 cm & .6 cm grade III, Stage IIA
es/pr- Her2+++, 9/9 richardson
Double Mast w/expanders 4-14-08
3/9 nodes positive.
additional excision rt breast 4-25-08
weekly T/H x 12 (6-2-08) Done!
FEC x4 (9-8-08) Last one 11-10-08!
Herceptin complete 8/10/09!!
33 RADS DONE 2/13/09!
rt. breast biopsy 3/20/09 .. B9!!
reconstruction complete!
DEEEEEEported on 5/19/10!!
almost 5 YEARS NED!!
Terri B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:12 AM   #57
4angel

very sad to read of your Mom's passing. So thankful for the work your parents did for this web site. It helps so many of us walk this path. It was the first place I read that people survive many years even with stage 4 BC. That gives me hope...Prayers to you and your family.
4angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #58
k1982

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your mother.
I am new to the site but from what I have read this evening I understand she was an amazing woman and she will now be reunited with your father in heaven.
I wish you and your family peace.
May God bless You.
K
May 2012 - fec t chemotherapy
September 2012 - herceptin began and fec t ended
November 2012 - radiotherapy to breast, neck and armpit
March 2013 - healthy left breast removed and reconstruction on both breasts
May 2013 - lump appeared on neck at right side, surgery removed two nodes and one showed cancer her2+ er Started vinorelbine chemotherapy along with herceptin
July 2013 - cerebral venous sinus thrombosis diagnosed, hospitalised for one month
August 2013 - continued with vinorelbine chemotherapy and herceptin
November 2013 - vinorelbine chemotherapy ended and continued with herceptin on its own
February 2014 - lump appeared in neck in same area and tdm1/kadcycla chemotherapy began
June 2014 - have received 3 x tdm1/kadcycla and await body scan this week
k1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #59
KymAustralia

I have been away longer than I realised. I am so very sad to hear of Christine's passing and I extend my deepest sympathies. Your mom and dad were incredible people and the ripple effect of their legacy is so substantial.

I am so grateful to have found this site almost 13 years ago and was in awe of the amazing, courageous women who fought so hard to pioneer the treatments that I know contributed heavily to my survival.

Sending much love and prayers for both your mom and dad and to all the warriors who we have lost from this site xx
Her2 +++ Er pos
1 x Pos Node of 14
Entered BCIRG 006 Trial Jan '03
4 x AC 4 x Taxotere 30 Rads
1 year Herceptin
5 years Arimadex
Total hysterectomy (came out of chemopause) March '04
2012 - Still NED
KymAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 01:05 AM   #60
KrissSchmidt

Oh my gosh... So sorry to see this they made a BIG HELP for us... stay strong we all are with you! sending prayers
KrissSchmidt is offline   Reply With Quote