HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-14-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
ele

chemicals in new home-harmful?

I am 7 years NED and my husband and I were thinking of building a new home. I am concerned about all the out gassing of chemicals in the cabinets,wood floors,carpets etc. Does any one know if this is harmful for a breast cancer survivor? This is obviously a big concern for me.
ele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:22 PM   #2
Lucy

Re: chemicals in new home-harmful?

I wouldn't think this would be an issue but I've never heard anything about this before so I don't know if it should be a concern or not. Can you discuss with the contractor or your oncologist? I would assume that any safety standards applied in making these elements would make them reasonably safe for everyone - cancer survivor or not.

Interesting question. Sorry I can't be more help here but I'd be interested in whatever you might learn on the topic. Good luck!
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #3
forher

Can't say I know much but you can get a radon test especially if there is a lot of granite in the kitchen. I believe the owners are supposed to hang these "absorbers" or whatever they are called for a few days. They can't air the house or run fans, etc. it will measure the amt of radon in the area. Granite gives of radon. hope this helps.
I would ask the realtor, too.
forher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
Laurel

VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) are released by carpets, engineered hardwood and laminate flooring, and a myriad of other building materials and furniture so you are correct to contemplate the subject. I suggest searching in the alternative sites such as Annie Appleseed Project, a breast cancer site that applies natural resources to battle BC. Avoiding VOCs is nearly impossible. I doubt very much whether your contractor or onc will have any insight into the issue of indoor air quality. Poke around the web for forums discussing the subject and let us know! Good luck!

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #5
SpitFire

You can have your walls painted with no voc paint. It is super expensive. We had to decline it. We aired out the house. We have ro water to our ice maker, drinking water and pot filler. We also have a whole house water filtration system. We were going to do blown in installation, but it has to be done perfectly and if not, it out gases, so we declined it. We put in a geothermal system. We are very happy with that. You should not put hardwoods in the kitchen even though they look nice. We cleaned up everyday after the workers. They will put trash everywhere, even in the walls and then wallboard over it. These are some tips I can think of. I hope you find some of it helpful.
Stage IIb
9/2013 TCH
10/2013 TCHP
1/2014 End chemo!
2/2014 Lumpectomy Complete Response
2/2014 - 4/2014 Radiation
9/2014 Last Herceptin
SpitFire is offline   Reply With Quote