HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
Vanessa

Chemopause

I had chemo from June of last year until November of last year and my last cycle was in July. I have been in chemopause until last Monday. I am so disappointed that I have started my cycle again. Has this happened to anyone else?
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
kim

It happened to me too. I went 2 1/2 years without a period and then it came back last June. I couldn't believe it, it had been so long. Ended up having a hysterectomy 5 weeks ago so now I am in menopause for good.
Kim
kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #3
kimber

Smile

Oh yes, it has happened. I went into chemopause after my first round of AC. That was June of 05. Well last month, it came back with a vengance! What a period. Wow. They did hormone tests 2 weeks ago, and yup, I'm out of chemopause. Thank God that they kept me on Tamoxifen instead of an AI. He wanted to keep me on it for another year to be on the safe side because he said on rare occasions, you come out. I was one of the lucky ones. HA. I am 44 years old so it is a surprise.

In a weird way, I kind of feel good about it. I actually have a working female part! I am missing a knee cap - too much skiing, missing a thyroid - cancer, missing both boobs, cancer. I kind of like having something that keeps working.

p.s. congrats on the new upcoming grandbabies!! - kim
kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
jessica

Hi~
I've come out of chemopause each time after finishing chemo. After the 1st year of chemo, it was ~3 months after my last tx before my cycle returned.
But it totally took me by surprise...I remember standing in a friend's kitchen, eating ALL the leftover's from the Xmas party the night before, searching for more potato chips, complaining about the traffic & all the bad drivers & wondering out loud about why I was so "bloated & gassy"...? My friend said "Sounds like PMS to me!" and low & behold, she was right - that afternoon I got my period back!
I've always been very happy to see the my cycle return. I think of it as a healthy indication that everything "down there" survived the onslaught of toxic chemicals & is working again. This is particularly important to me b/c I hold out hope for having kids one day...
However, PMS is brutal! Prior to my BC dx, I'd been on the Pill & never suffered from severe PMS symptoms. Now each month I think, "UGH!This again?Every month?" However, my period seems to be on hiatus again...don't know why, but I haven't had a period since January...in the meantime, I have had 2 surgeries - mastectomy then reconstruction - but no other change in my Herceptin. I'm a little curious about it, but my onc isn't particularly worried.
It's pretty low on my list of priorities considering I have scans coming up in a couple of weeks.
Keep the Faith~
jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:44 AM   #5
Mgarr

Chemopause

Good morning. I too was pushed into chemopause at age 40. My last Herceptin treatment was June 06' and I had a heavy period about 6 months later and was rather disappointed BUT I have not had one since so I still consider myself in menopause, hot flashes & all. Good luck hope its a one time thing.

Mary

Diagnosed 11/04 @39yrs. young
Stage IIB
2.5 cm, ER/PR- Her+++, grade 3
Partial Mast., 1/3 pos. node
1/05 full node dissection
4 A/C 4 Taxol DD, Herceptin 1 yr.
30X rads.
BRCA Negative
NED

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all -Emily Dickinson

Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
Rupali

Are you all ER PR negative as when I came out of chemopause they pushed me back into it by giving me monthly zoladex with Tamoxifen and are now going to move me to AI after 2 years of tamoxifen
Rupali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #7
kimber

I am er+ (100%) and pr+ (75%). I see my oncologist on Monday to decide how to handle this. Maybe it was just a one shot thing. As of today, I have not had another period yet. This is day 29 in the cycle.
kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:22 AM   #8
Rupali

Hi Kimber,

I am just 10% ER and PR positive and they pushed me back to chemopause by giving me zoladex every month.

Periods coming back is a good sign that shows that your ovaries are still fine.
Regards,
Rupali
Rupali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
DEBBIE S

Vanessa, Hello... Yes, I too just started back on chemo this month.... I stopped Navelbeine on 9/5/06 and stayed on hercp only ... after only a month an area of concern appreared but we just watched this until I had my third scan and decided it was now time to go back on chemo ... so I am doing weekly chemo but will probably be switching to every other week soon .... I am not that discouraged since I was able to enjoy seven months off chemo ... I am looking forward again to having clean scans so I will again stop chemo ... I guess for me this is how I live with stage 4 bc ... this gives me something to look forward too... I am sure there are many others that live a smilar life ...

Take Care & God Bless You,

Debbie
11/04 treated with hercp, taxol & carboplatin - every 3 wks
3/05 ned - stopped chemo; hercp only
5/05 reoccurence left breast
6/05 added navelbiene w/ hercp every other wk
7/05 mascetomy
12/05 ned ; same regiment- every 3 wks
3/06 & 7/06 ned
9/06 stopped navelbiene.. hercp only.. every 3 wks;
10/06 pet scan shows positive lymph node in pec
12/06 PET no change;
4/07 scan showed 4 abnormal nodes in right pec area ... these have increased in activity since last scan... will start back on weekly navelbeine & hercp
7/07 PET done ..this time it showed new nodules in both right & left lung area as well as increased activity in pec area..
8/07 started Taxol & Carboplatin with Hercp every 3 wks
10/07 PET done ...Great Report ... NED ....
11/07 continue with Hercp every 3 wks & do Taxol & Carboplatin every 6 wks
4/09 still on same regiment; 1 positive node in left lung and right pec area
DEBBIE S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #10
DEBBIE S

Vanessa, Hi... I must be in " Chemo Brain Fog " ... Forget my response .... as I went back and re-read what you posted and I see now what you are talking about ... Sorry, this does not apply to me ... Mine stopped once I started Chemo and has never started again ... I guess this is one physical / mental condition I do not miss and I am glad to get rid of it ....

Take Care & God Bless,

Debbie S.
11/04 treated with hercp, taxol & carboplatin - every 3 wks
3/05 ned - stopped chemo; hercp only
5/05 reoccurence left breast
6/05 added navelbiene w/ hercp every other wk
7/05 mascetomy
12/05 ned ; same regiment- every 3 wks
3/06 & 7/06 ned
9/06 stopped navelbiene.. hercp only.. every 3 wks;
10/06 pet scan shows positive lymph node in pec
12/06 PET no change;
4/07 scan showed 4 abnormal nodes in right pec area ... these have increased in activity since last scan... will start back on weekly navelbeine & hercp
7/07 PET done ..this time it showed new nodules in both right & left lung area as well as increased activity in pec area..
8/07 started Taxol & Carboplatin with Hercp every 3 wks
10/07 PET done ...Great Report ... NED ....
11/07 continue with Hercp every 3 wks & do Taxol & Carboplatin every 6 wks
4/09 still on same regiment; 1 positive node in left lung and right pec area
DEBBIE S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #11
Susan McQ

came back once after 1 year

I had my first period last month after 1 year of not having any. I'm er/pr- so it didn't make any difference on my treatment.

Susan
33 rads completed 10/06
weekly herceptin thru May 2007 --Stopped herceptin 4/07 due to drop in LVEF. Started Herceptin again 5/07
Final Herceptin 6/12/07
Port Removed -8/13/07
Susan McQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:32 PM   #12
Becky

7 months after my last chemo, my period came back at age 46! Oh well

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote