HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
Lani

" Our data strongly suggest that selected pts with HER2+ tumors may not need chemo"

TBCRC 006: A multicenter phase II study of neoadjuvant lapatinib and trastuzumab in patients with HER2-overexpressing breast cancer.

Sub-category:
HER2+

Category:
Breast Cancer - HER2/ER

Meeting:
2011 ASCO Annual Meeting

Abstract No:

Citation:
J Clin Oncol 29: 2011 (suppl; abstr 505)

Attend this session at the
ASCO Annual Meeting!
Session: Breast Cancer - HER2/ER

Type: Oral Abstract Session

Time: Sunday June 5, 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM

Personalize your Annual Meeting experience with a suggested or customized itinerary!

Author(s): J. C. N. Chang, I. A. Mayer, A. Forero-Torres, R. Nanda, M. P. Goetz, A. A. Rodriguez, A. C. Pavlick, T. Wang, S. G. Hilsenbeck, C. Gutierrez, R. Schiff, C. K. Osborne, M. F. Rimawi, on behalf of the Translational Breast Cancer Research Consortium; The Methodist Hospital Research Institute, Houston, TX; Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center, Nashville, TN; University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL; The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL; Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN; Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX

Abstract Disclosures

Abstract:

Background: We reported that inhibition of the HER2 pathway with lapatinib (L) and trastuzumab (T) to block all homo- and hetero-dimer signaling leads to rapid eradication of HER2-amplified human xenografts in mice. In this clinical trial, we sought to translate these findings to patients (pts) using the L+T regimen without chemotherapy. Methods: Women with HER2+ breast cancers (>3cm or >2cm with palpable lymph nodes) were eligible. Pts received weekly T (4 mg/kg loading then 2mg/kg) and daily L 1,000 mg for 12 weeks. ER+ pts also received letrozole (plus goserelin if premenopausal), to block ER/HER crosstalk. Biopsies were obtained at baseline and weeks 2, 8, and 12 (surgery). This stratified study (ER+, ER-) was designed to detect an increase in pathologic response rate (pRR; defined as pathologic complete response in the breast (pCR) plus residual disease that is <1 cm (npCR)) from 10% with T alone to 35% in each stratum, using a Simon optimal two stage design, with one-sided alpha=5% and power=85%. Both strata met criteria to continue to full accrual (at least 21 per stratum). Results: We enrolled 66 eligible pts; 64 were evaluable for response (Table). Median tumor size was 6 cm (range 1.5-30 cm). Adverse events (AEs) were overall modest: mainly grade 1-2 (GI: 64%, skin: 45%). Grade 3 metabolic, GI, and liver (18%, 12 pts) and grade 4 liver toxicity (1 pt) were also observed. Two pts had treatment related serious AEs (GI, liver). Efficacy results below are for the first 57 pts who had surgery as of 1/4/2011. Results from all pts will be presented at the meeting. Overall pRR was 53% (ER+: 55%, ER-: 47%). More importantly, the overall pCR rate was 28% (ER+: 21%, ER-: 42%). Conclusions: L+T for 12 weeks led to a high pCR rate in pts with large HER2+ tumors without chemotherapy. Pts with npCR might be converted to pCR with longer therapy, a hypothesis to be tested in a follow up study. Our data strongly suggest that selected pts with HER2+ tumors may not need chemotherapy.

N %
Menopausal status
Pre 32 48
Peri 4 6
Post 30 46
>50 31 47
Race
White 48 73
Black 14 21
Other 4 6
Ethnicity
Hispanic 22 33
Not Hispanic 43 65
Tumor size
≤5 cm 24 39
>5 cm 38 61
Median 6 cm
ER
+ 41 62
- 25 38
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
Hopeful

Re: " Our data strongly suggest that selected pts with HER2+ tumors may not need chem

Here is a link to an article that discusses this abstract:

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/...urce=r_health#

I did not have chemotherapy for my stage 1 bc in 2006; my onc offered me a course of Herceptin and AI's. In my most recent visit with him this week, he told me that he is still offering that protocol to his patients who decline chemotherapy. Don't know if he will be looking to add Tykerb to that regimen in the future based on Osborne's work.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Jean

Re: " Our data strongly suggest that selected pts with HER2+ tumors may not need chem

Hopeful,
Thank you for the posting the article.
Great news ...now ...let's hope the subgroup that can have treatment without chemo will be discovered soon.
This is exciting news...I am sure that AA will be happy to hear that finally there are studies on pts. who can be treated w/o chemo.

News days are coming.
jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
Becky

Until they discover the biomarkers for the women this works for, I think the only way to try out this "no chemo" method is to have treatment prior to surgery (neoadjuvant) and see if the Herceptin/Tykerb melts your tumor (regards of size) away. Then you can have surgery and continue on Herceptin and/or Tykerb afterwards (plus rads if lumpectomy).

Its great news that this will be a future option for sure.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
AlaskaAngel

I do hope so!

I hope they can use the info from this study eventually to go so far as to figure out IF there is a broad basis for HER bc and a more natural universal metabolic mechanism to control it, rather than using chemotherapy -- with a better understanding of the aging process and the hormonal metabolic influences.

AlaskaAngel
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Basilic

Thumbs up Re: " Our data strongly suggest that selected pts with HER2+ tumors may not need chem

I am on this trial. I started in mid-January and will be finishing off in 4 weeks. So far results have been great and side effects have been minimal to non-existent. When I began treatment, I had a >7 cm tumor and also had IBC. By the 2nd infusion, my tumor had shrunk to 1/2 its original size and the redness had substantially reduced. By week 12, the tumor could only be detected by mammogram and ultrasound and was merely 0.8 cm. The IBC identifyers (peau d'orange, adema, redness) are gone as well.

I'll be having surgery some time in the first week of July and hopefully the cancer will have cleared. I'll still have to do standard adjuvent chemo and more Herceptin after.
Basilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Hopeful

Those are some pretty dramatic results, Basilic! Thanks for sharing. Best of luck to you with your treatment plan.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
Basilic

Hopefully all the others in the trial are responding as well. If so, this could eventually make a radical change in neoadjuvent and possibly adjuvent treatment for future her2 positive BC patients.

Wouldn't it be something if doctor's could then say, "if you have to have cancer than her2 is the one you want?" That's what they told me when I had DCIS (0) in 2004 in the other breast. At the time it was to small to be considered for her2 testing, but I was also ER/PR negative then as well.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #9
harrie

Interesting article. My surgical oncologist, back in 2006, implied it may not necessarily be a bad idea to have the surgery, herceptin and AI and forgo the chemo. I did end up having the chemo also.
I wonder if it was ever considered to extract components of the tumor and see how it responds to the treatment as part of the evaluation for tx.
It's been so long since I ever visited the site, I had to "retrieve password". I was getting a little disgusted with all the scammers infiltrating.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:38 AM   #10
michka

Happy to see you on the board Harrie and most of all that you are well! Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
harrie

Hi Michka, thank you for the welcome. It is nice to hear from you again also.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
Basilic

Update - Neoadjuvant treatment of Herceptin and Tykerb

I completed my Herceptin/Tykerb treatment at the end of June and had my surgery July 3rd. The cancer was not completely cleared as I had hoped but all that remained of that very large tumor (>7 cm) were two small nodules less than .8 cm each. I had 27 lymph nodes removed and only 4 of those still had cancer. It's difficult to depict how many lymph nodes were originally malignant from the MRI, but more than likely I had a lot more than 4 when I started. The important thing is that I had good clear margins. I start AC on August 16.

Overall, my reponse was great compared to where I started from.

Stage IIIb/with IBC
grade 3 tumor
negative ER/PR
> 7 cm
Her2++ (I think ratio was 11.8)
Old 08-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
suzan w

When I had chemo in 2005, it was 'required' before herceptin treatments. My onc. questioned the need for chemo for me because of my statistics, and at that time she had to prescribe the herceptin "off label" because it was not yet approved for early stage BC. Times are changing rapidly thanks to research and test studies. I am so grateful to all of the participants in these studies, and the $$ for research that is making all of these remarkable advances in treatment. In 2005 when I was dx'd the first onc. told me basically that Her2 +++was a 'death sentence'. And just recently I read that early stage BC, Her2+++, treated with herceptin may be the first type of breast cancer that doctors can say is 'cured'. Never give up!!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #14
'lizbeth

Love this study!

It truly shows the effectiveness of the Tykerb Herceptin combination. Now there are more options to put with it.

I can't wait to see studies come out with other targeted therapies.

Is there a study yet with TDM1 and Tykerb? Or Pertuzumaub, Herceptin and Tykerb?

I have been waiting for studies with neoadjuvant treatments with targeted therapies. I can't wait until the day when chemo, surgery and radiation fade into medical history . . . !

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
AMOC1973

Hi Basilic. I am also on the study. Im at Baylor. Started late July. I get my 4th dose of Herceptin next Tuesday. I'm receiving the tykerb/herceptin combo for 6 months. Did you receive the combo for 3 or 6 months? Your results are phenomenal. I hope I experience the same. My tumor has decreased in size to almost half so far. It was 6cm when measured by hand...I rather go by my MRI and say I started at 5cm I know I have one positive node. I'll finish the study end of December...then surgery, chemo, rads.
AMOC1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
Basilic

I was wondering if I would run into anyone else on this study. I am also at BCM. I was selected for 24 weeks and unlike chemo, it got easier as time went along. I bought a big bottle of Imodium thinking I would be taking it on a regular basis but by the end of 6 months I had used less than a dozen.

The measurements from the MRI were 2cm larger than what was measured by hand.

Last edited by Basilic; 09-08-2012 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Added information
Old 09-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #17
AMOC1973

So far I've only had to use the Immodium once. I started probiotics twice a day...not sure if that's the reason I haven't experienced too much of GI side effects. Sounds like You had excellent results. And thats before chemo. Im not looking forward to chemo at all. But i wanna get this crap over with.
I've seemed to have the worst side effects from the femera & lupron. started getting hot flashes & they are awful. Can't sleep. Have tried neurontin (didn't work), Effexor (made me depressed). Just started clonidine 2 days ago....no help yet.
It's insane that 2 months ago I was feeling old cuz I was turning 39. What an idiot!!!
AMOC1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #18
Basilic

I used the immodium more at the beginning because the study coordinator told me that I should take it as soon as I saw need. But then I wouldn't go for a couple days so decided to wait and see if I repeated loose stools before jumping on the imodium and then found I usually didn't need to take it.

I was ER/PR negative so didn't need hormone inhibitors. Right now I have trouble falling to sleep due to the prednisone they give me in a cocktail with antinausea meds before tarting the chemo.