HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
harrie

Vit D3, Anticancer Effects

Understanding the anticancer effects of vitamin D3 [Eureka News Service]

EARLY VIEW: OPEN ACCESS: Cystatin D is a candidate tumor suppressor gene induced by vitamin D in human colon cancer cells

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Ellie F

Thanks for the information.
Feel sure there must be an association with bc.Very difficult often to get enough here in England even in summer so I guess it's keep taking the supplement or moving to sunnier climes
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Talking Vitamin d is of major importance.

Hi there! Vitamin D is most definitely on my huge list of supplements. Recently tested and I was in the low end of normal, so the doc suggested I double my dosage. i AM NOW TAKING 4,000-4700 A DAY. How about you?

And yes I live in sunny Florida. But I have read that as we age (oh hum) our bodies require more Vitamin D as it is quickly absorbed???

Lots of docs are recommended Vit D. Very important for lots of reasons, and for us to fight canser. Was going to write ca but thought some might think I meant California.

Pink always says when she sees bc she thinks British Columbia. Those Canadians... Love 'em!
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
harrie

Andi, I saw my internist for a ck up yesterday and included in my upcoming labs is to test my Vit D level. I have never been tested before. I currently take about 2,000+ IU VitD3 daily.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Smile Aloha my friend

Maryanne, Please let us know how you score!
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 07-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Becky

Andi BB

As we age, it is not that Vitamin D3 is quickly absorbed but in a strange way, it is the opposite. It is not vitamin D3 that the body uses. We injest (or have sunshine on our skin) and the vitamin3 D is converted first by the liver to 25 hydroxyvitamin D3. After that, this is converted to its useable form in the body by the kidneys to 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3. It is this substance (I'll call it 1,25 that the blood tests measure because it is what is the true useable form. As we age, the liver and kidneys get less efficient at the conversions therefore, before it is converted we wash it out of our systems (either the Vitamin D3 or the first conversion component).

So that the metabolism of this yummy. Go figure - isn't the human body and its chemistry utterly amazing.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
Andrea Barnett Budin

Hey Becky, THANKS...

So my liver and kidneys need some extra help and are therefore using up my supply of Vit D3 (1.25?) so I need more than usual...???

And they are just discovering this?

Glad for progress and beneficial info always.

Thanks for splainin'...

Even in Fla, sunshine rarely shines on my skin. Does sun protection interfere with the process? Or it's just all about aging?

Another item to add to my list of what breaks down as I forge onward. Oh well, I can supplement/compensate.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
R.B.

Andi BB Factor 15 blocks 90+% of UVB.

UVB not UVA makes vit D.

The ability to make vit d falls as we age.

I have noticed a few have said despite sunshine they are not making vit D. I wonder if any of the treatments reduce the ability to make vit D ?

There is a good video on Vit D in the 1st post of the Omega 3:6 thread.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ght=greek+diet
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
AlaskaAngel

Vitamine D supplementation and sunlight

Vitamin D supplementation may not be the entire answer. We tend to think of the effects of vitamin D being due to either sunshine through the skin or by a pill, but there also is an effect of sunshine through the eyes that is conducted to the pineal gland, affecting some hormonal levels, that may be just as important.

We may need to not only get sunshine through the skin, but through the eyes.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/n500596240235mw0/

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
R.B.

Hi Alaska Angel.

Interesting thought.

The recollection is vague but I have seen it suggested that there are melatonin (as against melanin) or other pineal related receptors in the skin as well as the eyes. I think the back of the knees were mentioned.

Melatonin production sleep etc is a subject on its own !!
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
Mary Jo

Hello all...

I think I've posted this before but will again since we are discussing it.

In 2008 when I asked my internist to check my Vit. D level it was 32..(the low end of normal). Since that appointment I upped my Vit. D3 and take a 2000 i.u. supplement of D3 in the a.m. and another in the evening. This year when I had my D levels checked again, it was 62. I was much happier with that. Also, I get TONS of sunshine. I love the sun and although I do put sunscreen on my face I don't anywhere else because I really don't burn. I walk 3 - 5 miles a day in the sunshine and love every minute of it. I live in Wisconsin where it's cold and snowy WAY too many months of the year so when the warm sun shines I am outside lovin' every minute of it.

I remember reading once (I don't remember where) that women who had mets when dx often were low in D. The women whose breast cancer was contained in the breast had higher levels. Hmmmm! Makes me think and wonder. I had a large tumor 4 cm. - have always been a person who was active and spent a lot of time in the sunshine. Benefit?????? Who knows, right? Just a thought floatin' around upstairs, is all.

Ok...that's my 2 cents for the evening.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06