HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
Soccermom

Unhappy Mixed emotions...survivors guilt

Had my 6 mo check up with new Onc on Thurs....no markers , just a manual exam .. she "graduated" me to once a year checkups! Why am I not thrilled?
Today I went to the funeral of a childhood friend who was diagnosed w metastatic lung ca. in Sept. She was a Nurse and non smoker whose own Mom died from same when my friend was 16. I should be used to all the death by now...but each one shakes me to the core.She leaves behind a 10 yo daughter and loving family..
I dont feel like celebrating my own milestone ~ I am still struggling with depression and just cant seem to get over the "hump" and just wanted to say I love and value you all even tho I am "silent" for long periods!

Much love,Marcia
Any suggestions~
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:14 AM   #2
Lien

Re: Mixed emotions...survivors guilt

It's hard to see friends pass away. Especially mothers of young children. It's hard to be confronted with our own mortality. I have had and still have those kind of moments. I think that now that more women survive breastcancer and live long and full lives after diagnosis, we should look into the psychological consequences and quality of life. Many of us need more help than we are getting.

You need a HUG. Can you feel it coming your way? All the way from the Netherlands, Europe, just for you.

Love

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:34 AM   #3
Pam P

Well I'll celebrate your good news from the doctor for you and wish you continued good health. Give thanks and enjoy each day in quiet celebration. Emotions pull us in all directions - relief, grief, depression, saddness, .... I am very sorry about the loss of your friend. Sending a hug from Minnesota. Pam
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa
2/10 herceptin & tykerb & zometa
4/10 add xeloda &aromasin
10/10 dx with dermatomyiositis triggered by cancer
11/10 restart herceptin, tykerb, zometa
12/10 surgery-place rod in R femur to stabilize bone
1/11 radiation to R femur - 20 tx
2/11 2nd surgery - rod in Left femur
2/11 tx eribulen -- suspended dx brain mets
3/11 brain mets wbr 20 tx
4/11 halaven; discontine 8/11 not working
8/11 radiation to left femur 20 tx'
8-9/11 rad to lower spine
9/11 abraxane/herceptin/zometa
9/12 xeloda/herceptin/zometa
12/12 ablation of liver
Pam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:02 AM   #4
Ellie F

i think Pam has hit the nail on the head about emotions. This bc journey is such a roller coaster. I can be sad, happy, anxious, feeling I am going to die imminently then thinking I can survive and get well, all within an hour let alone a day or week.
I really believe that the emotional aspects of this disease are as painful as all the physical hell we go through. The constant struggle to survive coupled with being stalked by an unseen enemy is often soul destroying.It seems to me that the after effects of bc are very similar to post traumatic stress experienced by soldiers. The problem is that there seems to be very little recognition that this is a widespread problem.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
Jean

Marcia,
I can understand how you feel. Often times I have asked why me? Why did I find my cancer earlier when so many of my dear sisters did not? It is way too painful when considering why some of our sister's are failing on trials and treatments while others are surviving.

None of us on this site are famous or super stars...but I believe that for some reason our life path has crossed and we were meant to do somthing. I really believe that
we are here for a reason and that is to help others.

I too lost a young friend at 28 yrs old to breast cancer 30 yrs ago. It shook me to my core. We were young,
just out of college and on our way starting our careers.
We were both newly engaged - she never made it to the alter.

Since those years I have lost more friends and loved ones. I guess the simple answer is "this is Life."

All I can suggest is think of those we lost often and honor them. Second do all we can to help others who fight this beast. Be positive and never let this ugly nasty disease beat our souls....it does enough to our bodies and minds.

Live your life in love, strength and appreciation for each day.

I hope you begin to feel better.
Kindest Regards,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
v-ness

dear marcia - i am sorry for the loss of your friend. i understand how you feel in a way, though not as intensely. my sister's friend was diagnosed with stage 3 triple negative breast cancer about a year and a half ago and because of her experience i started doing breast self exams frequently in earnest and 5 months after a clean mammo found this tumor. at the same time she was experiencing infection problems with her mastectomy over the summer that kept her from getting the reconstruction she wanted. and then 2 months after my diagnosis she was told it had metastasized to her brain. i felt awful for her. she retreated from pretty everyone and everything, but my sister got to see her periodically and brought her the Love, Medicine & Miracles book i liked so much. pam read it and told jen she was visualizing being here in the spring and working in her garden. it didn't work like that, though. instead she died on my very last day of chemo. i wasn't rejoicing being done with chemo anyway, but that certainly put a pall over it. and then at the funeral my mother dragged me over to her mother and tearfully told her "because of pam, my daughter is going to live". i wanted to sink into the ground because this woman had just lost her only daughter. i doubt that seeing me standing there was any comfort. i felt a sense of guilt instead that i know isn't rational. i don't even mention it to anyone in regular life because i doubt they'd understand at all. but here others do know what these kinds of thoughts are like. i'm glad you came and talked about it and hope that you take care of yourself to beat this depression back. valerie
2/10 began 7 wks of radiation
6/10 mom dies of primary peritoneal ovarian cancer
8/10 got my last remaining ovary out
10/10 mammogram all clear
3/11 MRI shows 5 'spots' in right breast, largest 1 cm unidentifiable on US
needle biopsy proved the largest to be old inflamed cyst -phew!
7/10 switched to Arimidex
8/9 switched to Femara - allergic to arimidex
Femara made me lose hair quickly so switched to Aromasin
Aromasin made my hair fall out too and the bone pain was too much.
back on Tamoxifen 1/2013.
blood clot from trains and planes 5/2014 so on coumadin per onco for as long as i am on tamoxifen
tamoxifen was supposed to be up with my 5 yrs in may but my boyfriend was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer so i am staying on tamoxifen indefinitely because i want some ammo against BC, given the stress. lost my husband in only 10 wks in 2007 to stage 4 esophageal cancer.
cancer's screwing with another man i love
2/2016 - 6yrs in remission, off tamoxifen and off coumadin - yay!
v-ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
tricia keegan

Oh I can relate Marcia, I've lost so many friends to this disease but coming up on five years out myself. I'm glad for me obviously, but we always have a cloud there as we walk such a thin line with this disease as we know it could be us tomorrow.
Nontheless, I think its important we do celebrate these milestones or good test results, and I'm very happy for you but sad for your friend
I really wish we knew why some of us do well and other's are taken so early. My friend had a far better prognosis than I, but passed within two years of her diagnosis
We just have to keep going and support each other and hope for that cure or good news leading to it!! xx
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
Jeanette

I can relate to this Marcia. I lost my sister and my sister in law within a month of each other this year. I too have lost so many dear friends to this disease. You just have to thank the Lord you are doing well and keep all of our friends and sisters in our prayers. One day , there will be a cure. Jeanette
Jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
Soccermom

Oh My Goddness... you all "GET" it !
I cant be happy for me when I see others suffering. I know this sounds wrong, but if G-d asked me to chose between keeping my life VS. a mother with children, I WOULD give mine.
No, its not the depression talking,No its not being smug because I havent and most likely will never be asked to make this choice...it because I am "over it"...WHERE THE H*LL IS THE CURE!
And Ellie, "I really believe that the emotional aspects of this disease are as painful as all the physical hell we go through. The constant struggle to survive coupled with being stalked by an unseen enemy is often soul destroying.It seems to me that the after effects of bc are very similar to post traumatic stress experienced by soldiers. The problem is that there seems to be very little recognition that this is a widespread problem.
" You are so very right,I feel like I (and other Survivors) are damaged goods that no one (Medical Professionals) know how to deal with as far as our emotional and even sometimes physical side effects after our treatments,so they dont.
I dont feel like I am living in the same dimension as those who havent experienced Cancer as a patient or caregiver/loved one. When I try and describe to the "others"...this cancer experience they look at me with pity,tell me I should be so proud (WHY?! I didnt DO anything ...I sat there and chemicals pumped into my veins...I laid on a table and had my body parts chopped off...but da*n I didn't DO anything"...sometimes this Survival is a trial of its own.
I know those with advanced disease probably are thinking what a jack*ss I am about right now...cant say I blame them....I am just a lousy example of a Survivor. No longer feel like being a part of the walks,and relays and being paraded in front of media as a "SURVIVOR". I do however LOVE being able to comfort a new BC sister and to be able to say that the chemo and treatments are all "survivable"...but I HATE not being able to be honest and tell them the truth...at least MY truth that there is not always a "happy ending" after the "busyness" of all the hustle and bustle of chemo,rads,surgery and Onc visits is over.
You have all been so eloquent! I know what you are thinking...I need to get help...and I have ...they just dont seem to "get me".
Sigh...thanks for giving me this safe place to express myself!
I am not crazy, just honest.
Hugs and love to all,
Marcia
P.S
V-ness I can imagine how you must have felt, I am so sorry you were put into that position.
Tricia, you are a sweet person...I see your posts on another site and you are so kind to all.
Jean, Thank you! I KNEW I'd have BC since I was 13. In college I did on campus TV and had ACS and Reach to rcovery folks on my programming (in 1976). I have been a patient advocate for 10 years, long before my diagnosis...self fulfilling prophecy? am I that powerful? I think not. I am a R to R volunteer now, Outreach coordinator for FORCE,
have sat in on so many seminars and conferencesfor over ten years. I havent saved any lives (that I know of) at least that would make some sense of all of this.
How can I move on/should I try?
Marcia

Last edited by Soccermom; 03-30-2010 at 10:07 AM..
Old 03-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
Jackie07

Marcia,

Thank you for your honesty. You have described a journey to which many of us can relate. You have lived up to the motto listed beneath your signature and showed 'kindness' and done 'good thing' to fellow human being...

Hugs to you, sister. Don't worry about the 'can' and 'should'. All the sisters/brothers here are walking with you and we'll carry you on our shoulders ... Just the way you have carried many of us (and others) when we were feeling 'down'...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 03-29-2010 at 01:36 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
ita

Oh, Marcia,

If you need help, then I need to be right there with you. "Damaged goods", an "it" (bilat and hyster classifies me well), many times I feel like I didn't have a "bad" enough cancer to give any advice at all. I stay away from forums and return because I cannot turn anywhere else. When I'm in the forums I rarely state my opinion because I have been away for so long. And like you stated I feel like those that have had to deal with advanced disease probably don't want to read my "pity party".
I also dislike the whole "survivor" badge. You are right, we did nothing different that anyone who recurred or worse yet, passed away. Everyday I wait for the other shoe to drop. Everyday I prepare my kids in my own subtle way for mom to not be around. As positive as I believe myself to be, I know that feeling helpless is normal. Sometimes feeling hopeless is too. All I know now is that I cannot control what my DNA can do me. Therefore, I will continue to prepare my kids for a life without mom (be it in the next year or the next 50 years), and live my life still trying to look through my rosed-colored glasses. Because, for me, ignorance is BLISS.
Take good care of yourself. I glad to know myself that we are understood.

Much love,
Ita (gricel)
ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
v-ness

i tell you what, marcia, you do more good supporting others with breast cancer than you could ever do by wearing pink and walking for awareness. helping friends and strangers is the real work in the trenches, if you ask me. i don't like the 'survivor' word either - especially since my husband didn't survive. and i used to love pink and now i feel like it labels me to those who know. i need a pin that says "no, i am not wearing pink because of breast cancer, thanks. i just like it, dammit." - valerie
2/10 began 7 wks of radiation
6/10 mom dies of primary peritoneal ovarian cancer
8/10 got my last remaining ovary out
10/10 mammogram all clear
3/11 MRI shows 5 'spots' in right breast, largest 1 cm unidentifiable on US
needle biopsy proved the largest to be old inflamed cyst -phew!
7/10 switched to Arimidex
8/9 switched to Femara - allergic to arimidex
Femara made me lose hair quickly so switched to Aromasin
Aromasin made my hair fall out too and the bone pain was too much.
back on Tamoxifen 1/2013.
blood clot from trains and planes 5/2014 so on coumadin per onco for as long as i am on tamoxifen
tamoxifen was supposed to be up with my 5 yrs in may but my boyfriend was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer so i am staying on tamoxifen indefinitely because i want some ammo against BC, given the stress. lost my husband in only 10 wks in 2007 to stage 4 esophageal cancer.
cancer's screwing with another man i love
2/2016 - 6yrs in remission, off tamoxifen and off coumadin - yay!
v-ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #13
MJo

Thank you for posting. It hit home. I am almost a five-year survivor too. A few months ago I started worrying about recurrence. I thought to myself, why in the world are you worrying now? You were caught early. You received aggressive treatment. It's like I didn't have a right to worry at this stage of the game. My aunt just got diagnosed. Maybe that set me off. Life is up and down.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
Lien

Ita, you said it honestly and beautifully. These feelings are shared by many of us. Living after breastcancer brings lots of mixed emotions, and they pop up at the weirdest times. We just keep on keeping on and we try to do it the best way we can. In the mean time, we sometimes touch others with our words, the way you did just now. Thank you for posting.

Love

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
Soccermom

Lien, I neglected to Thank you after your first response to me, and YES! I most definitely felt your hug across the miles.

Jackie ,Gricel,MJo,V-ness...thank you all...
Marcia
Old 03-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #16
caya

Marcia, I'm sure we all feel these emotions at some point in our "survivorship." I still do the Run for the Cure Walk here in Toronto every year -my two daughters(in their early 20s) and alot of their friends and some neighbours do it with us. Yes, I am the "survivor" in the group, sort of the mascot I guess. Until the cure is found, I will wear pink (always was my favourite colour, a prophecy of things to come I suppose)that day, and any other day I choose to. If that's what it takes to remind people about this horrible disease, and give money to it, I am there.
I don't push it on anyone, but if people ask me, I am more than ready to share my experiences. I too have spoken with the newly diagnosed, and will continue to do so. We all do/say what we feel like, it's all good.

Now go enjoy your seder tonight, have a glass of wine...

xo
all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #17
Soccermom

THX, unfortunately, no seder as I have no family here to share it with...(just moved here in Aug, not "affiliated" yet )
The wine sounds good though!
Marcia