HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Inflammatory Breast Cancer
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2007, 04:46 AM   #1
andrewking

what is the right age to test mammography

Im 68 years old and my wife 58 years , i just want to know when she can take a mammography test for safety.. she used to say symptoms, i fear of breast cancer. Is there any age to test mammography
Old 04-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #2
Jeanette

Mammogram

I believe a woman should start to get mammograms by age 40. Sooner if there is any history.
Jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
suzan w

mammogram

judging by the number of women on this site under age 40...I think women should get mammograms as part of a routine exam...as soon as they are old enough for a pap smear, then I think they are old enough for a baseline mammogram! Just my opinion...
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Jeanette

Mammogram

I could not agree with you more Susan. I have a daughter who is 38 and lives on a Military base. She went to try and get a mammo as she gets a lot of boils and cysts, they said they could get her one done but it would take about two months to get an appt. And then they would only do the one that was giving her a problem. Even after telling them about me they still did not do it.
Jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
Zoid

Mammograms needed earlier than 40

I agree with all of the previous responses. After getting the run-around to follow up on a suspicious breast lump : 2 mo wait for mammo, at the appt was told I had to have an ultrasound first, (since I was 32 and they didn't routinely do them for anyone under 40.) Another month wait for the ultrasound. Another month waiting for the mammo. Got a mastectomy and reconstruction 5 days later for stage IV tumor.-Susie
Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
Bev

If your wife has symptoms I would simultaneously schedule an ultrasound with a breast surgeon and a mammo. Perhaps her OB/GYN can reccomend one. Call around for the mammos so you don't have to wait 2 months. If you see a surgeon first she might be able to expedite the mammo, or at least order an MRI.

If the surgeon says you have nothing to worry about, you can cancel other appointments. Good to get the ball rolling.

And unless you have a mastectomy, protocol is to have a mammo every other year beginning at age 40. Perhaps you can reduce the frequency after a certain age but I don't think your wife has hit that age yet. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
jessi

The general rule of thumb for getting mamograms is baseline at 35, then annuals starting at age 40. In addition you should be doing self breast exams every month and your doctor should be doing exams every 1-2 years. If you have a direct family member diagnosed with breast cancer (mom/daughter/sister) you should begin annual mamograms 10 years prior to their diagnosis date. For example, I was diagnosed at 31 so my sisters should start getting annual mamograms at age 21. Mamograms are difficult to read in young dense breast tissues and thus they should be followed up with ultrasounds and/or x-ray. MRI are more sensitive and less radiation; thus create more false negatives so they are generally reserved for those with BRCA1/2 mutations. IBC doesn't show up on mamograms/x-rays/ultrasounds. If you've had a mastectomy; clincial exam is much more effective for diagnosing chestwall recurrance than mamogram.
jessi
jessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:12 AM   #8
daywalker

I am really stressing over this!

Hi friends,
Previous mammograms showed fibrocystic breast. Did ultrasounds, nothing found. Had implants 6 years ago and removed cysts. Last month mammogram showed microcalcifications, so add’l views were done: Persistent small minimally pleomorphic cluster of microcalcifications w/in outer right periareolar region regarded w/ low degree of suspicion for malignancy. Calcifications vary slightly in shape and density and are tightly clustered over an approx 3 to 4 mm area.
Biopsy findings: Right breast tissue, outer quadrant, core needle biopsies: Rare calcifications associated w/benign breast tissue including fibrocystic change (duct estasia, apocrine metaplasia, and stromal fibrosis, usual and florid ductal hyperplasia). Marker was put in for future. Was told by nurse that nothing malignant, but doctor is referring me to breast oncology doctor for second opinion. What does the pathology report mean? Also, never had bruising, swelling or pain after biopsy, but 2 weeks later, I am having a burning sensation (like my clothes rubbing on it burns), slight redness and pain on nipple and also an indention near the biopsy site and below it. Please advise what could be causing this. Is it possibly the clip/marker? I am really stressing over this.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
jessi

I can't tell you for sure what the pathology report means, but I met a woman at radiation once who said she had a "suspicious mamogram" so they watched it, watched it turn into cancer. So they probably want to get an oncologist opinion to see if your situation warrants watching or preventative treatment. Good luck, don't be afraid to get a second opinion. As far as the itching and skin indention, it could be from the biopsy; but they are also symptoms of a very rare very aggressive form of breast cancer (inflammatory) so make sure to discuss it with the oncologist. ICB is known to not show up on mamograms, ultrasounds, x-rays, biopsys. Not a fun disease; you probably don't have it but defiently read up on that and all breast cancer symptoms and keep up with all of your doctor appointments. If you feel like you aren't getting the best care; seek out someone else!
good luck
jessi
jessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:17 AM   #10
daywalker

Seeking suggestions! please reply!
daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:58 AM   #11
daywalker

oops no response
needs suggestions!
thanks in advance
daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:08 PM   #12
tousled1

daywalker,

I had fibrocystic breasts for as long as I can remember. I had two tumors removed one from each breast several years back and both were benign. I had very dense breasts and started to develop calcifications. If I were you I would get a second opinion. I got mammograms every year and in Oct 05 invasive cancer showed up -- no sign of it on previous mammos. I don't want to scare you but dense breasts and calcifications are indicators that you should be watched closely.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:11 AM   #13
daywalker

Smile

Quote:
daywalker,

I had fibrocystic breasts for as long as I can remember. I had two tumors removed one from each breast several years back and both were benign. I had very dense breasts and started to develop calcifications. If I were you I would get a second opinion. I got mammograms every year and in Oct 05 invasive cancer showed up -- no sign of it on previous mammos. I don't want to scare you but dense breasts and calcifications are indicators that you should be watched closely.
As you said I am not scared! SO what can I do for this? What will be the solution?