HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Inflammatory Breast Cancer
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
beccarlw

Smile Lupron/tamoxifen

hello.....? Has Anyone Out There That Is Er/pr Positive, As Well As Her2 Positive-( Iam Like 9 Plus-off The Charts)heard Of Using Lupron, Along With Tamoxifen? As I Was Stage One At Dx. I Did Four Rounds Of A/c And 33 Rounds Of Radiation.... No Herceptin As I Have A Heart Murmur And Mitral Valve Prolapse. I Am Currently Enrolled In A Clinical Trial Of Tykerb/ Or Either The Placebo....my Obgyn Suggests Lupron And My Oncologist Suggests Removal Of My Ovaries, I Am Very Confused, As My Insurance Runs Out In A Couple Of Months..... Thanks For Any Help-replies. Becca
beccarlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
Chelee

Becca, I see this is your first post. Welcome to the board. I don't have an answer for you but wanted to tell you to JUMP up to the "her2support" board and you will gets lots of replies there. Come join us all...lots of knowledgable women there

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
Bev

Hi Becca, your insurance running out is a problem. Can you continue it with COBRA, Hippa or other means?

I haven't heard of tamox with Lupron, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Tamox in and of itself is a good starter plan for ER pos cancer and it's cheap. Downside, it can cause uterine cancer. Plus side is it works for BC even if you are premenopausal.

Generally AI's, Arimidex, are a little bit more effective to prevent recurrence. Downside, they cause bone loss, and are completely ineffective if you are premenopausal.

Lupron or ovary removal will put you in the post menopausal state. Also there is some correlation between BC and ovarian cancer, which might be an argument for an ovary removal.

Because your insurance is running out, now may be the time to do ovary removal. If I were young and stage 1, I don't know if I would want to be pushed into menopause, even though it's safer. QOL.

If you are under 40, or want more children, maybe tamox alone makes more sense.

There's no right answer. You just need to come up with something that suits your need and hope you picked the right thing. Bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
beccarlw

Thank-you To Chelle And Also To Bev, In Reference To Tamoxifen/lupron-qestions.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
beccarlw

HI BEV, YES, I AM UNDER 40. I AM 38 YEARS YOUNG AND WAS DX. 10/6/06. I AM SO GLAD TO FIND THIS SITE. JUST LEARNING HOW TO USE IT.... ANYHOW, I HAD A LUMPECTOMY WITH CLEAR MARGINS A PORT PUT IN.I KNOW I AM E/R POSITIVE AND HER2 POSITIVE. I WENT THROUGH CHEMO-A/C AND RADIATION.I AM A MEDICAL ASSISTANT AND WAS WORKING FOR A BRAND NEW COMPANY, DID NOT HAVE BENEFITS....BIG MISTAKE! I QUALIFIED FOR MEDICAID, AS I HAVE A 17 YR. OLD SON, ERIC. I BELIEVE WHEN HE TURNS 18 NEXT MONTH , THE INSURANCE WILL END. THERE IS NOT A WAY TO GET COBRA-FROM MEDICAID, IS THERE??? WHO KNOWS, ANYHOW, MY ONC SUGGESTED THAT I SIGN UP FOR SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS???? I DID AND WAS DENIED, SO I RETAINED AN ATTORNEY AND JUST WENT FOR A CHECK-UP , BY THEIR OWN DOCTOR'S. I AM IN A CLINICAL TRIAL NOW, FOR TYKERB/LAPAT. OR PLACEBO, I PRAY I AM GETTING THE REAL STUFF, AS MY LAST MUGA SCAN SHOWS MY EJECTION FRACTION AS GOING DOWN TO 56 PERCENT. HENCE, THE SHORTNESS OF BREATH I AM FEELING. I WOULD LIKE TO GET TO KNOW YOU LADIES AND MEN OUT THERE- BETTER, THANKS, FOR LISTENING AND ANY REPLIES. I WILL POST AGAIN SOON. REBECCA
Old 08-28-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
madubois63

I am Her2+ as well as ER/PR+. I took Tamoxifen a few years back, but ended up getting my period back and having a relapse. After changing over to Femara, my doctor started me on Lupron. I've been getting shots every three months for several years now and continue on the Femara. I am NED. I wasn't able to have my overies removed, so this worked very well for me.
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:02 PM
cdbernal
This message has been deleted by cdbernal.