HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2018, 12:27 AM   #1
VDC

Cannabis anyone?

I have hesitated to log in and post this....because frankly it goes against everything I have believed for years and years! But? Here is my experience and I can't explain it. I had HER2+ hormone negative disease two years ago and surgery 20 months ago. I was told that my chances of recurrence were off the charts (the ONCO test) where I scored a 79 on that stupid test. It was predicted I had 20% chance of invasive recurrence and 20% chance of DCIS recurrence. ...all within 5 years. I did whatt I always do with medical things and researched like crazy. I ran across a study and then contacted the researcher. She was an oncologist hospice nurse doing research on the side. In the course of our conversation she shared what she was seeing with her breast cancer patients who used cannabis. Those with HER2+ disease hadf better responses to cannabis than those who were HER2-. I was intrigued but it went against everything I believed about cannabis. however, two months later I decided to give it a whirl. I was put on 125 mg of CBD and 20-25 mg of THC in a 24 hours period.

I never dreamed there would be any way to determine if it helped keep my cancer at bay or not. However, in December during my yearly MRI, a suspicious lump was noticed in my breast right in the tumor bed. I clearly knew what was coming but tried to have some hope. The biopsy was December 12th and it was found to be a very rare form of cells that is usually only found in younger women, and even then it is rare. But it wasn't cancer so I was elated! The researcher I had been working with, asked if she could share my pathology report with Dr. Sanchez from Spain who is doing cannabis research. I gave my consent as long as my name was removed. Dr. Sanchez said that my cells are exactly what she sees when she treats HER2+ BC cells with cannabis. I was (and am) still chewing on that. I was told that Dr. Sanchez was quite excited by my pathology report because it is the first indication that cannabis "might" be helpful in preventing relapse. At least for some types of Breast cancer. Apparently (and I didn't know this) HER2+ Breast cancer is about 80% likely to have overexpression of CB2 receptors which is why the THC shuts it down. However in the other 20% THC can actually INCREASE the rate of growth! This is because THC compromises the immune system and if the tumor does not have overexpression of CB2 receptors then the suppressed immune system allows for greater growth. However if the tumor does have overexpression of CB2, then THC shuts it down and quite well! Given that my tumor was HER2+ and hormone negative there was less concern for growth but even so, I decided to treat it as if I was hormone positive which is why I took 125 of the CBD and only 20-25 of the THC.

But I am still chewing on it. I had those rare cells that aren't usually found in a woman my age, AND it is the same kind of cells that Dr. Sanchez sees when treating HER2+ Breast cancer with cannabis.

Honestly, I think my cancer DID come back but the cannabis shut it down. I can't prove it. It could just be a very fluky coincidence. but it would be one in a million if it is.

Adding to my consternation is my oncologists comments when I met with her in April for my six month check up. She admitted she hasn't expected me to remain cancer free for so long. She expected my cancer to come back within the first year. She said she was puzzled but that my surgeon must have done an exceptional job! I haven't told her about the cannabis because my employer has a "0" tolerance for cannabis and I love my job! I don't want to lose it! (I teach college chemistry)

Any way, I just finally decided I should share. Becuse? Who knows? Maybe it could help someone...?
VDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
Cathya

Re: Cannabis anyone?

Thank you so much for this posting. With cannabis legal soon in Canada I was wondering if it could help fight this disease and your information tells me no. I wouldn't have known and might have used it without realizing the potential damage I might have done.

Bless you and all the best,

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #3
Nurse4u2day

I’m just starting to do my own research in regards to cannabis to help in keeping cancer at bay. There is a Facebook group that really dives into this. It discusses the different ratios of the/cbd that they have found through research in regards to her2+ versus tnbc vs hormone positive. Each ratio is different based on the tumor pathology.
12/13 port placed
12/13 neoadjuvant DD AC xs 4 rounds started
02/14 taxol/herceptin started every week xs 12 rounds
Herceptin for 1 year
Ki67=23%
BRCA1&2 negative
5/06/14 last round taxol/herceptin. Chemo done!!!
5/07/14 clear CT scan
6/11/14 Bilateral Mastectomy Done
6/15/14 8mm tumor post chemo. Removed by bmx
6/15/14 lymph nodes 0/9
6/15/14 officially Cancer Free
7/11/14 emergency surgery to left breast . Wound refused to heal and broke open. New TE placed
7/28/14 emergency medical procedure now to right breast( post op 6 weeks mastectomy ) wound opens.
8/25/14 - 10/07/14 Radiation
11/24/14 CT of Brain clear
01/23/15 One year Herceptin Complete
02/04/15 Diep done
5/01/15 1 year Ct scan- mass in thymus
6/23/15 repeat CT mass in thymus still present
6/30/15 biopsy thymus 7/03/15 mass Benign! Diagnoses Thymic hyperplasia rebound ( chemo at fault, no long term health effects)
7/08/15 phase 2 diep
11/23/15 phase 2b ( reconstructive surgery with lipo)
03/05/18 Vinnie Myer 3 D nipple tattoos complete.
11/19/2018 5 years since Dx of IBC stage 3c remain NED.
11/19/21- 8 years today I officially remain NED and in 12 days I will be having a lymphnode transfer to help decrease some mild lymphedema! Still working, living life and soon to see a day I thought never would happen and that’s becoming a grandparent June 22nd.
11/19/2023 - 10 years since diagnosis and I remain NED
Nurse4u2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
Carol Ann

I am so glad you started this thread. I am going to look into the Facebook group.

Carol Ann
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

Nov 25, 2013 Begin 6 rounds TCH.

March 10, 2014 Just finished 6th and LAST Chemo today, YAAAAAY!

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

June 2014 Begin Fosamax to prevent osteoporosis; bone scan revealed osteopenia

Nov 17, 2014 FINAL Herceptin!

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

Dec 17, 2014 Port is OUT!

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote