HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Breast Cancer News
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-19-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
Joe
Webmaster

Breast cancer treatment hard on the bones: study

The bones of breast cancer patients tend to age prematurely as a result of chemotherapy and aromatase inhibitor therapy, according to research reported at the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research meeting this week.

More...
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
Sandy in Silicon Valley

Angry chemo and AI tx for bc seem to correlate with osteoporosis

Hi,

This study, as Reuters reported it with quotes from one of the PIs, a Dr. Camacho of Loyola U./Chicago, is pretty scary stuff for those of us on longterm chemo and/or AI treatments.

I tried to find the original study through a Google search, but didn't come up with it, so it may not have been published online as yet, since it was just presented at the conference.

For one thing, since I've been on chemo for a total of about 15 months, and an AI for 3 years on separate occasions, I'm going to ask my onc to order a new bone density scan for me.

Fortunately, I don't have bone metastases, which I'd imagine would complicate matters further. Or maybe some of the bone- strengthening treatments that patients with bone mets often get actually strengthen other bones than just the ones with metastatic disease?

But since I'll likely go through more chemo treatments for Stage IV bc progression before I give up on treatment, or it gives up on me, I want to make sure that I'm not living out whatever is left of my life crippled with osteoporosis. If it means taking Boniva or some other bone-strengthening supplement, along with my other meds, I am willing to go there. It's just one more risk brought on by treatment side effects, which I'd like to proactively prevent, if possible (like my high bp, cough variant asthma, dry eyes, diarrhea, etc.!)

(((hugs)))
Sandy in Silicon Valley
1999 - off Tamoxifen, on Arimidex
2003 - dx'd Stage IV - lymph nodes & lungs. ER-/PR-/HER2neu+++.
Tx: Herceptin & Taxotere (6 cycles).
2005 - 2.9cm x 3.6cm brain tumor. Craniotomy, CyberKnife. 9 mo. staph aureus infection at incision site - 2nd craniotomy. Two small brain mets CyberKnife'd.
2006 - revisit Xeloda - dosage lowered to 2500mg/day, 5 cycles.
2007 - "spot" dx'd on qtrly brain MRI - same location as CyberKnife 7/05. > by 2-4mm per quarter - - radiation injury or re-growing cancer? Tykerb added to Herceptin - July, still "watching & waiting". Otherwise, fully functional...

"The majority of people are not only afraid of holding a wrong opinion, they are afraid of holding an opinion alone." Kierkegaard
Sandy in Silicon Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:10 AM   #3
dhealey

You don't have to have bone mets to be at risk or even be stageIV. It's chemo like adramycin and meds such as arimidex, aromasin, femera that deplete the bones. Taking calcium supplements and doing weight bearing exercise such as free weights and walking help keep the bones strong. Since most breast cancer patients are on these meds they can get a bone density test yearly and most insurance will pay.
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote