HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-15-2004, 10:12 PM   #1
kelly

does anyone w mets and currently on chemo work?
Old 01-15-2004, 11:29 PM   #2
Kitty

Kelly,

I have liver mets and am on weekly chemo and work full time - at least 50 hours a week. There are several ladies who work full time while undergoing chemo - it depends on how you feel and what your personal preference is. I know working makes me feel "normal" - I just look at my Friday afternoon chemo as part of my routine. I am fortunate though that my treatment does not make me sick or tired. Good luck to your mom.
Kitty
Old 01-16-2004, 01:32 AM   #3
eleanor

I worked for a long time while on weekly chemo.
Unfortunately I developed some rare complications and am now at home. As long as you feel okay, working shouldn't be a problem.
el
Old 01-16-2004, 03:18 AM   #4
pam

Yes, I work full time. I was dx 2 1/2 yrs ago, did chemo for 6 months. Bone mets found 9/02 followed by 6 months of chemo. Just this week I started back on chemo (navelbine & herceptin). I've worked through it all -- have taken extra days off when needed -- luckily I'm in a very supportive work environment. I need to work - for the paycheck & the health insurance. But also being able to continue working helps me to keep my life "normal" through all of this hell.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:55 AM   #5
SueF2

I second all that you say. I worked from original dx in Nov '02, pre-surgery chemo (8 rounds), mast (did have to stay out 3 weeks after that), radiation. Just dx with mets to the bones and liver. Had 2nd chemo infusion today and am working every day (5 da/week). I also have a very supportive workplace, and I live alone. I'd rather be there, and don't feel any different than I would if I stayed home. Certainly do need the insurance.

So glad to hear about others who remain working.

Sue
Old 01-17-2004, 08:51 AM   #6
Hope

I have mets to lungs and bone and am working part time 2 to 3 days a week as a Special Ed. Teacher. I am currently on Navelbine and Herceptin. Working keeps my mind off of cancer. However, I am planning on retiring on August. I think my district is offering a very good "Golden Handshake" that would be hard to refuse. Good luck