HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
RalphIII

Early Stage BC and Herceptin Treatment???

Hello All,

Has anyone elected to take Herceptin who had early stage BC with the following condition.

Estrogen +
Progesterone +
Her2 +
Tumor 1cm or less
Lymph node -- (negative)

The Herceptin website seems to rule out the use of their product under those conditions? A patient with those conditions would only be a candidate for their drug had there been one "high risk factor", which is a tumor "greater than 2cm". See HERE

In contrast, BreastCancer.org cites a study stating it can be beneficial to early stage breast cancer patients even if the cancer is less than 1cm. See HERE.

All input is appreciated.

God Bless,
Ralph
RalphIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
DianeF

Re: Early Stage BC and Herceptin Treatment???

Yes, I am currently undergoing herceptin treatments. I have only three left. I had early stage breast cancer, triple positive and the tumor was only .6 cm, no lymph node involvement. My oncologist's recommendation was herceptin only, but she would have also offered "light chemo" if I wanted to go down that road. I have virtually no side effects from the herceptin and would definitely recommend it. It gives me a bit more peace of mind.
DianeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
'lizbeth

http://www.drugs.com/clinical_trials...uvax-3857.html

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
'lizbeth

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21989902

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
RalphIII

Thumbs down Re: Early Stage BC and Herceptin Treatment???

Thanks for the input ladies.....

We met with the surgeon today and got the final pathology report. There was one dissapointing aspect but truly minor and as it errs on the side of caution. The surgeon achieved clear margins but one part wasn't to the degree he desired. So we are scheduled to undergo surgery again next Friday to remove a little more of the area where the tumor was. The surgeon wants to insert an IV port and will do so at that time also. So it really isn't much of a set back. We just weren't prepared to hear that at the moment but feel better about it now.

Final results:

Estrogen +
Progesterone +
Her2 + (3)
Ki-67 (IHC) 50%
Tumor .9 cm
Lymph nodes(2 tested) -- (negative)

Grade III (8-9) (Nottingham) 2,3,3

Quote:
quote DianeF: "Yes, I am currently undergoing herceptin treatments. I have only three left. I had early stage breast cancer, triple positive and the tumor was only .6 cm, no lymph node involvement. My oncologist's recommendation was herceptin only, but she would have also offered "light chemo" if I wanted to go down that road. I have virtually no side effects from the herceptin and would definitely recommend it. It gives me a bit more peace of mind."
Thanks DianeF! Do you mind if I ask a few question of you?

1) What is your age?
2) How active are you (sports) and were you able to continue as usual?

We play a lot of tennis (leagues/tournaments). I'm just wondering if she will need to limit her activity given a Herceptin and possibly Chemo regiment. This as the expected long term treatment and as the surgeon hinted; given he has discussed her case with the Oncologist team already. We won't actually meet with them for another 1 1/2 weeks (scheduling) to discuss all that.

3) What was your regiment schedule? I mean did you take Herceptin at the same time as other treatments or finish one and then begin another?

4) Did you take Herceptin every three weeks for one year?

5) Lastly, what Chemotherapy did your Oncologist offer and what did she consider to be "light Chemo"?

Take care,
Ralph

P.S. Congrats on finishing up with the Herceptin soon and I pray you have a total and full recovery...
RalphIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
snolan

I had stage I .5cm and 1.2 cm tumor was ER/PR+ and did Herceptin. I am a competive mountain biker and was able to do light rides during chemo usually the week after. Once off chemo I was able to go full force with my rides only taking off for reconstruction surgery.
Suzanne
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
DianeF

Hi Ralph,

1) What is your age? I was 49 at diagnosis
2) How active are you (sports) and were you able to continue as usual? I was very active in my volunteer work at an equestrian center for disabled riders and also rode frequently. I was not able to continue right away, but it was due to extensive surgery, rather than herceptin. I had a mastectomy and tram flap reconstruction. I have also had several revision surgeries. The herceptin has not limited my activity at all.

We play a lot of tennis (leagues/tournaments). I'm just wondering if she will need to limit her activity given a Herceptin and possibly Chemo regiment. This as the expected long term treatment and as the surgeon hinted; given he has discussed her case with the Oncologist team already. We won't actually meet with them for another 1 1/2 weeks (scheduling) to discuss all that. I did not have chemo, so I really can't speak to that. I have heard some people carry on as usual and others do not fare so well.

3) What was your regiment schedule? I mean did you take Herceptin at the same time as other treatments or finish one and then begin another? Shortly after my mastectomy I began tamoxifen. I will take that for three years then switch to arimidex. Approximately a month following surgery, I began herceptin treatment.

4) Did you take Herceptin every three weeks for one year? Yes, with three more treatments to go.

5) Lastly, what Chemotherapy did your Oncologist offer and what did she consider to be "light Chemo"? We didn't get into specifics. I do know that she would not have given me TCH. I think it was going to be taxol alone, but memory may fail.

I should add that my tumor was grade 1. This is unusual for her2+ patients. This may have factored in to my treatment plan.
DianeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
karen z

My situation was quite similar except that my tumor was 1.2 (was Stage I and node negative).
I had a lumpectomy, chemo and Herceptin, radiation............and anti-hormonals. My diagnosis was in 05. Most folks with HER2 positive disease and very small tumors get Herceptin now. There are pubished articles on the topic and also some threads/posts you can find here.
Best,
karen z
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
Lbwagner

Her 2 +/ .5cm/ ER+ PR+ I am 43 years old and started Herceptin treatments (only). I am not receiving chemotherapy. (Node Negative)
Lbwagner is offline   Reply With Quote