HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
janda

Hair not growing back help

hi im about to have my last herceptin on tuesday, i finished my chemo in november and radiotherapy in february, i was just wondering if there is anyone else out there whos hair hasnt grown back, im looking at hair systems but i think they are very expensive. JUST WONDERING IF ANYBODY HAS ANY IDEAS THAT CAN HELP ME thanks xxx
janda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Jackie07

Re: hair

Hi,

Not sure what 'hair systems' are.

I was working full-time during treatment in 2007 and had to wear a wig (I used a small silk hankerchief as 'lining') for the whole year.

Below is a thread related to 'hair' - hopefully more members will chime in soon.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...highlight=hair

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
'lizbeth

I tried Rogaine and Nioxin with little success. My hair got slightly thicker over the years, but is still very thin in the crown.

Bummer.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Rejoyce

Was Taxotere one of your chemo drugs? If so, you could possibly have permanent hair loss, up to 3% of us that have been on Taxotere do. I have only got back some fuzz on my head. Eyebrows and eyelashes never grew back. It has been a year and a half since my last chemo.
Rejoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Nancy L

I am one of the Taxotere 3%. Whem my hair did not come back in 2005, I asked several oncologists why? All they said was, this is not suppose to happen. When I met with Dr Slamon in 2009, he told me about this Taxotere side effect. I used wigs but always was searching for a better solution. My hobbies are outside activities and sports and wigs don't work well on the golf course. In 2008 I went to a new shop in SF to get a cyber hair wig. When the owner was cutting the wig, we talked about my situation. She introduced me to hair replacement systems which I switched to as soon as I found a shop near my home (not so close--one hr away but worth the drive once a month.

Yes it is expensive but in life we all make trade offs on how we spend our money. I think the manufacturer of Taxotere should be paying for my hair but i don't have what it takes for a lawsuit. I heard that a woman in France did sue and settled with the drug manufacturer.

The process involves taking a mold of your head so the system is a perfect fit. The system is bonded to your head so you sleep in it, wash it on your head in the shower, etc. My husband loves it and says I have better hair now than before i had cancer. I go to the shop once a month. They take it off, service it and rebond.

Go to grafftech.com to learn more. Bette Graff is my stylist and if you give her a call, I am sure she would be happy to tell you is hair replacement is available near your home--it may not be.

Virtualreailty.com is another site to review.

Good luck. You would be surprised how many men and women wear hair. It is not just for celebs anymore.
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
janda

hi rejoyce, yes i had docetaxol every three week, im going to a dermatologist in November, but i have been going to different salons what do the hair systems, they all attach the hair differently so im going to see which is the best one for me. I have also rang my doctor and hospital to try to get funding for the hair system, as i have noticed they do take nhs so fingers crossed. Nancy your hair looks fab, my eyelashes have come back but my eyebrows are very light, also leg, underarm and ladygarden hair very rarely needs to be shaved lol. Not complaning about that. xx
Old 09-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
'lizbeth

Yes,

I had the docataxel too. 6 treatments with 2 of them with a 33% increased dosage. If I had known the risk of permanent hair loss I would have made a different choice about the amount and the number of treatments. Later I saw a study that showed 4 treatments were as effective as 6. I've really regretted the additional 2 treatments. Sigh.

I have hair, but it is much thinner than before chemo, noticeably in the crown. I would love for it to be more full there.

I want to hear what the dermatologist recommends.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation

Additional treatments:

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
Old 09-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #8
janda

hi i wouldnt regret having the six doses, i only had four and it still happened. Guess we are the unlucky few x
Old 09-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
'lizbeth

That makes me feel a little better Janda. I wonder if the cool caps would have prevented the permanent hair loss.

Additional treatments:

Old 09-23-2012, 02:17 AM   #10
michka

My heart sinks for all of you Ladies. I did not know that that was possible with Taxotere. Hugs. Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
'lizbeth

I like having thick hair - it was very easy to style. Once I learned never to put conditioner on the roots of thin hair - it started looking better.

Additional treatments: