HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
Shirley

Screening vs Diagnostic Mammography

Hello all,

My onc and I discussed me having another mammogram. I had a unilateral (right side) mastectomy in late August and have an expander in place right now. When I called for the appointment they told me he ordered a diagnostic bilateral mammo, which puzzled both the scheduler and myself because how would they do that with an expander in place (it's hard as a rock), and also is it even necessary. I can understand doing the one remaining breast but I'm not understanding why the fake side.

But the thing I'm curious about is why a diagnostic on the "good" side instead of a screening test. I was told that I'd have to pay my deductible for a diagnostic test but not for a screening test.

I suppose a more involved diagnostic test would give me greater peace of mind because it is presumably more thorough. I just thought that the distinction between the diagnostic vs screening was odd. Shouldn't they all be "thorough"? BTW, this place uses the new 3D mammography.

Thoughts on this, anyone?
  • Neoadjuvant TCH chemo started 5-15-13 (4 rounds, 3 weeks apart)
  • Unilateral Mx w/expander 8-22-13 (right side)
  • 5/5 nodes Neg
  • clear margins but close. Tumor at removal down to 2.2 cm.
  • Radiation 6 wks starting 10-17-13.
  • Herceptin every 3 weeks until 4-23-14
  • DIEP/Mastopexy 10-8-14, U of WA
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
jaykay

Re: Screening vs Diagnostic Mammography

Hi Shirley,

First of all, they can't do a mammogram on an expander - it would probably burst it (a lovely thought).

It's pretty standard to order a diagnostic for someone who had/has breast cancer. The plus is that they give you the results immediately. In my experience, screening and diagnostic are the same process but the radiologist reads it immediately and you don't leave without the results.

For women who have had mastectomies, MRI is preferred method.

Best,

Janis
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
Becky

I know nothing about expanders but I got diagnostic mammos for the first 5 years after bc (the first two years I got them every 6 months). After that, they changed to screenings.

At my place, the diagnostic and screening mammos are the same. Its just with the diagnostic the radiologist comes out and discussed the reading with me so it took so long as they have to carefully read it and then discuss it with you (right then) versus reading it carefully at their leisure and then write a report (they write a report in both cases). My first screening one I wanted the radiologist to come out and tell me everything was fine right then and that's when the mammo lady told me the difference. The mammogram part itself though is the same in both cases.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
Jackie07

Then there's surveillance ... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24407530

Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2014 Jan 10. [Epub ahead of print]
Factors associated with long-term adherence to annual surveillance mammography among breast cancer survivors.
Wirtz HS, Boudreau DM, Gralow JR, Barlow WE, Gray S, Bowles EJ, Buist DS.
Author information
Abstract
Clinical practice guidelines recommend yearly surveillance mammography for breast cancer survivors, yet many women do not receive this service. The objective of this study was to evaluate factors related to long-term surveillance mammography adherence among breast cancer survivors. We conducted a retrospective cohort study among women ≥18 years, diagnosed with incident stage I or II breast cancer between 1990 and 2008. We used medical record and administrative health plan data to ascertain covariates and receipt of surveillance mammography for up to 10 years after completing breast cancer treatment. Surveillance included post-diagnosis screening exams among asymptomatic women. We used multivariable repeated measures generalized estimating equation regression models to estimate odds ratios and robust 95 % confidence intervals to examine factors related to the annual receipt of surveillance mammography. The analysis included 3,965 women followed for a median of six surveillance years; 79 % received surveillance mammograms in year 1 but decreased to 63 % in year 10. In multivariable analyses, women, who were <40 years or 80+ years of age (compared to 50-59 years), current smokers, had greater comorbidity, were diagnosed more recently, had stage II cancer, or were treated with mastectomy or breast conserving surgery without radiation, were less likely than other women to receive surveillance mammography. Women with outpatient visits during the year to primary care providers, oncologists, or both were more likely to undergo surveillance. In this large cohort study of women diagnosed with early-stage invasive breast cancer, we found that important subgroups of women are at high risk for non-adherence to surveillance recommendations, even among younger breast cancer survivors. Efforts should be undertaken to actively engage breast cancer survivors in managing long-term surveillance care.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote