HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-06-2006, 09:52 AM   #1
skoolmom

Question Is the cancer gone? What tests?

I keep having people ask me if they got all the cancer?, or is the chemo working?,and I really don't know what to tell them? All my onc says is we might have gotten it all with the lumpectomy, the margins were clear, we're doin the chemo because it was in one sentinal node so it's just in case. If it doesn't come back then we succeeded. Is there tests I should be taking to find out if it's working? I had four rounds of AC and now I'm on the 4th of my 12 weekly treatments of Taxol and Herceptin. Is there tests I should be taking for the Her2 or to see if the Herceptin is starting to work? Or is there something to test after I'm done the year of Herceptin to see if it's kept the Her2 part in check? Are the clinical trials still saying one year of Herceptin or should I be on longer? I'll be getting radiation in the spring after I'm done the 12 weeks of Taxol. I still have a long expensive road to go. I just had my second muga and it was 80% - better then my first one 68% before the AC figure that one out how did it get stronger after the AC I'm not complaining though since the Herceptin is suppose to be hard on the heart too. Let me know from your research and experience what you can, I'm just a good little patient and go weekly and get my chemo. Thanks for this great site and all of your help - God bless you all!
skoolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:29 AM   #2
al from Canada

Dear skoolmom,
It isn't the herceptin that is hard on the heart but herceptin + AC in presence of the TOPO2 alteration. Some women have shown significant drop after 2 cycles so given your results, I wouldn't worry. As far as HER2 tests go, the Bayer HER2 serum test is the one which will do what you are asking. Ask your onc about it.
Good luck,
Al

Last edited by al from Canada; 03-06-2006 at 10:31 AM..
al from Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
madubois63

I beg to differ. Herceptin can cause heart problems. I had to take a three month "vacation" when my MUGA rating dropped considerably. After the "vacation," my MUGA returned to normal and I was put back on the Herceptin.

FDA Tells Doctors About Potential Heart Problems with Herceptin

As to the original question...your oncologist should be doing blood tests every few weeks (while on treatments - every few months or yearly thereafter) that include tumor markers (not extremely reliable, but they can show a pattern). Most people are considered NED (No Evidence of Disease) after getting clean margins with surgery. As there is no cure to cancer (YET), besides living life to the fullest you should pay attention to your body and be vigilant when you experience something different (persistent headaches, changes in vision...). My reoccurrence started as a persistent cough that was thought to be bronchitis or pneumonia. It was actually the BC in my lungs...I personally wish I had gotten yearly CAT scans, but most doctors won't order them unless you have a complaint. I now get PET, CAT and bone scans every three months, but I am at a high risk...many insurance companies wont pay for it otherwise. Talk to your oncologist and ask him/her what the plans are for future follow-up care....
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
CLTann

Hi,

The questions posted here are probably all of us want to ask and their answers we want to know. But the honest truth is that no one is really sure whether every single cancer cell has been eliminated by any or all treatments. No doctor can guarantee the patient that she is now fully cured. That is the reason for the word "remission". After all, even in healthy people, men and women, cancer cells are being created almost everyday by the probability of cell mutation or natural cell structural changes. Most healthy people can fight and eliminate these abnormal or cancer cells on a continuing basis, thus staying healthy. Also, all of us are probably aware of the fact that some BC treatment methods are themselves cancer causing, such as radiation and certain chemo agents. Even the detecting procedures are harmful to our bodies, thus the doctors do have a legitimate as well as a medical reason for not encouraging patients to undergo unnecessary tests without definitive symptoms.

Having presented a rather pessimistic viewpoint, I would suggest that while we are doing our best to fight the disease we should keep our bodies as strong as possible, thus allowing our own body to do the immunological defense. Combinations of proper exercise, diet, immune stimulent, clean water and air, good sleep and happy environment are additional care we should search and strive for. On top of all above, faith, love and belief can make our bodies physically more fit and our minds emotionally stable.

Ann
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
Bev

Hi, I've had the same questions in mind too. Good answers too. What about brain MRI's. When should they start? BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:06 PM   #6
al from Canada

ASAP There is at least one member on this site where her first met was a brain met. As HER2 gals live longer, the opportunity for brain mets increases expodentially. Good luck,
Al