HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
harrie

Tolerable foods post chemo

Would anyone like to share suggestions on what tastes palatable post chemo tx? Or, what has not been very tasty. I can start. I found eating noodles like ramen is GOOD. Coffee I usually love, but after chemo the taste is just not there. Fish...forget it. Chips like freetos...good! Trailmix...pretty good. Most meats....bad. Bananas...good. Spaghetti....good. Turkey sandwiches...good.
Eggs...good.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara

Last edited by harrie; 05-06-2007 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: additional info
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:46 AM   #2
R.B.

If you are thinking about diet you might like to look ad the "Breast Cancer Diet" thread by Rhondah, and the Greek Diet post.

There are lots of books. I found Smart Fats M Schmidt, and The China Study T Colin Campbell fascinating both of which can be found on the web for $20 and less..

You are what you eat. It is an old cliche but the more I read the more it is evident it holds good. Refined foods sugars etc low nutrient density hihg carbohydrate foods, trans fats etc are just putting a tiny cumulative dent in your health profile each time you eat them. I do too, have my lapses meals out etc but try and make it very occasional, and mostly find that the oat cookie or whatever it was I was hankering after actually tasted rather bland and was unsatisfying.

The food you eat alters your gene expression, and so if you get it right there is evidence it will reduce your risk profile.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:50 AM   #3
Hazel Joyce

The only things that taste good to me are fresh pineapple and lemonade!
3 cm tumor, 8 cancerous lymph nodes
Grade 3, ER/PR -, HER-2/neu +++ (by FISH, average 20 copies per cell)
A/C x 4, Taxol x 12, Herceptin x 47 weeks
35 radiation treatments
Completed treatment on April 3, 2008
Chest port removed October 2009
11 years since diagnosis NED
Hazel Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Melinda

food

Wow what a topic,
I used to love coffee in the AM and now have reduced myself to tea, with a little honey and lemon. THe sweet things that I used to enjoy are no longer on my list....hopefully I will remember this once off chemo. Yougurt usually is a good substitiute... Dannon Lite and FIt, and bananas, The funniest is that when all else fails.... Breakfast hot pockets always allows me something in my stomach. After my 3rd round I was not eating well, becasue everything tasted so lousy... and I really beleived my platelets dropped from not eating properly. IN fact the 4th round was postponed a day because of them, so I went home and ate a cow Just kidding but did do high protien foods. Happiliy I was able to get my 4th round in the next day... count bounced to 103. Last night, I had a healthy dinner and today feel so much better than last round. Of course I am about a day behind my normal "side-effect" schedule but all in all feeling pretty good. The steak, asparagus and corn on the cob must have agreed with me. Maybe too much fiber, but I feel good.
Anyone else out there that has any suggestions?
Mammosite radiation completed 2/10
Stage1/Grade 1
clear Margins /Nodes Neg
ER+
IHC +2 Fish +
ONCO 23
Started TCH on 3/2 for 6 rounds of TC once every three weels and a year of Herceptin every 3 weeks -
Finished everything and now on Aromasin
Melinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
tousled1

All I can say is experiement and see what tickles your taste buds. If you have a craving for something - eat it! I know when I was going through chemo what I liked one week, the next week I didn't. I found myself eating a lot of chicken rice soup and jello. Also my taste of what to drink chnaged consistently -- one week water, one week gatorade, etc. I finished my Herceptin the end of April and still have problems with my taste buds.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
Belinda

I agree you are what you eat, but during chemo I am finding it too hard to be focussed on a radical dietary overhaul - instead, I am making little changes and good plans for when chemo is finished (eg - I am letting the white flour and pasta supplies run down and replacing them with wholemeal and organic, etc etc, buying the same fuit and veg for family, but trying to buy organic when I can, eating the same fish meals but trying to make them weekly rather than monthly etc).

During chemo, I am eating what I need to in order to keep my blood sugar stable, because I am finding that this helps me to stay sane - it helps (but doesn't completely prevent) the emotional crashes that overcome me in the 3-10 days post chemo. I still get them, but when my blood sugar is stable, they don't seem to be quite as low, or quite as deep. (Enough sleep, and keeping hydrated, are the other two things that help).

But, that's been hard because there have been times when even with emend and maxalon I have still vomited, retched or been extremely nauseous - so much so I have lost weight on chemo, whic isn't that common.

So for me, the kind of things that work in the 10 days post chemo, are baked potatoes (I nuke them in the microwave) with cooked or canned corn kernels on top, sometimes a little butter when my mouth is dry. Avocado masked on wholemeal toast, sometimes with tomato slices on top (depending on taste buds that day). Cream cheese spread on wholemeal toast. Bananas in between meals - sometimes I can only manage a mouthful or two, and I prefer them a bit on the green side - can't tolerate the smell or texture of them when they are ripe and fragrant. I seem to be able to manage white grapes well all of the time, so I buy lots and have them washed in the fridge ready to grab a handful. I also keep pitted prunes in the fridge - they help in the first days post-chemo when I am constipated, and are also a great rescue remedy when I feel like my blood sugars are dropping.

On my 'good' days (days 11-20) I can pretty much eat what I like - easy. No nausea.

Post-surgery and first cycle, I was eating raw muesli and flaxmeal every day, but I developed an aversion to it in the first cycle.

In my third and fourth cycles, I ate a big breakfast and lunch before chemo, drank heaps, then didn't eat dinner. The reason for this is I was vomiting or retching post-chemo anyway, and because of this I still have an aversion to the foods I ate for my first meals after chemo on cycles 1 and 2. My chemo was late afternoon, so this wasn't a problem for me - just made sure I had a reasonable breakfast on hand.

Hope that helps. Just go with what you can tolerate - be gentle to yourself, eat whatever you can to keep nourished during chemo.

Belindax
  • Diagnosed 3 Jan 2007, Stage IIb, Mastectomy and axillary clearance 10 Jan 07, 6 of 19 nodes affected, multi-focal cancer, HER2 positive. Second mastectomy (prophylactic). Chemo - AC 3 months, Taxol 3 months - then radiation 5 weeks.
  • Aug 2011 - Diagnosed with Stage IV mets to lung, sternum and 12 or so thoracic nodes - Rads to Sternum, then weekly abraxane and herceptin for 12 weeks.
  • May 2012- good scans - all nodes still about normal size, hole in sternum repairing, lung tumour 'obliterated'.
    Ongoing herceptin every 3 weeks. Bloods still all good! Life good!
  • March 2013 - recurrence - tumours in lungs and mediastinum (coughing up blood) - immediate radiation treatment to right lung and mediastinum, still on Herceptin, and 3 months of Vinoralbine - stable for a little while!
  • Coughing and breathlessness started again September 2013, treated as radiation-induced fibrosis (which can be seen on scans - albeit stable). ie puffers, steroids
  • January 2014 - cough becomes bloody again, scans show big mediastinal tumour wrapped around and choking the life out of my right main bronchus, radiation deemed off limits as my lungs are hypersensitive to radiation (measured by existing damage from 2013) .....................- ie I am in the 5% of people likely to suffer severe radiation damage to the lungs that they warn you about before starting treatment! (so special! :) )
  • Started chemo Feb 2014 - continuing Herceptin (continuous since Aug 2011), with Carboplatin and Gemcitabine. Discontinued Gemcitabine because of se's. Starting cycle 5 Herc/Carbo 5 May 2014.
  • Meantime.....coughing and breathlessness increased to SCARY levels with racing heartbeat that won't slow down, breath that won't come back, even just walking to the bathroom or up 3 or 4 steps.
  • ICU from May 5 2014, collapsed right lung due to tumour, small pulmonary embolism (left), tumours growing in mediastinum left and right, dvt lower right leg
  • Plan seems to be bronchoscope next week to see if tumour can be lasered and stent inserted in right bronchus to reopen air access to lower parts of right lung. If that is successful might be able to have brachytherapy to worst tumour, otherwise no more options for external radiotherapy.
Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
Montana

The only things I could tolerate were homemade macaroni and cheese, and real Coke with lots of crushed ice. Not exactly a good diet!
Nottingham Grade 7/9
ER 91% PR 62%; Her2 3.6 by ICH; KI-67 35%

Nov 2004 Lumpectomy; SNB failed so had
full axillary clearance;
Dec 2004 2nd lumpy for clean DCIS margins.

Jan/Feb 2005 4 A/C dose dense;
33 rads finished 6/2005;
Began 5 years Arimidex in 6/2005
No Herceptin
9/2007 Quit Arimidex due to severe side effects.
NED
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
Adriana Mangus

Hi

Hi Harrie: The only thing I could eat and a whole bunch is pickles, crackers, pasta and 7up. Explore; you may find something else out there

Sending you positive Bives.......
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #9
Adriana Mangus

Thumbs up Buy Organic!!!!

Hi Belinda: That's exactly what I did. This is my second time around so I got to be extra careful. I really liked the wheat pasta, (husband still does not know is 100% wheat je je je). I continue eating as usual, the BIG thing for me now is vegetables and fruit. Only organic, if there is nothing available, I buy frozen. I read an article regarding frozen vegs and fruits and nothing is loose during processing, this is specially true for vegs. It is much more expensisve, (I live en CA, an already pricey state to live in) but it's worth the price. I also buy all meats and chicken organic, to my surprise I enjoy the taste very much. Other than that nothing has changed, I continue eating the same foods as before.
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #10
harrie

Thanks for all the input everyone. I usually eat healthy, LOTS of fresh fruits and vegtables. HUGE salads. But for the post-chemo week I tend to eat whatever is tolerable. The lemonade I am going to have to try. That sounds good. My last round of chemo is this coming Friday.

Harrie

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:52 AM   #11
StephN

Thumbs up Try new foods

It has been a while since I had chemo, but for a while I had a lot of those drugs so have a good memory of what bothered my mouth sores and acid stomach and what didn't.

Organic chicken broth is very versatile and I found that I could add all sorts of leftovers and have something nutritious and palatable. If I had leftover rice or couscous, veggies, mushrooms, even scrambled egg it was good.

Bagels and muffins were good to have around to make little sandwiches with or toast with peanut butter or melted cheese or a soft spreadable cheese such as Rondele with spinach leaves.

I ate an egg almost every morning for the protein. Eating in the morning was essential for my energy level.

Gave up caffeine and went to the gamut of herbal and detox teas. I still use these without sugar or sweetner. Like Ginger Ale a lot and it was great on a hot day with some blueberry or pomegranate juice as a spritzer.

Stevia or Sweet Leaf Stevia. This is a great substitute if you still need something sweet in your drink or cereal. Hubby is diabetic and he uses it, though I rarely do.

Puddings were good and nicely coated my mouth sores. Jello as well, but not much as it is too sweet and I hate the taste of the "diet" foods. The chemos made these even more sharp and metallic to my taste.

Pastas are very bland but you can add whatever feels/tastes good on any given day. I would fry up some ground turkey with herbs and this worked well for me. Or dice up some tomatoes, add some portabello or shiitake mushrooms sauteed in olive oil and then toss in more olive oil.

I shifted to about 85% organic and try to maintain that. Am strict about ONLY organic MILK. Good luck!

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote