HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2019, 10:41 PM   #1
LizzElliot

Zometa

Hello,
Can I get current thoughts on Zometa, please?
I am almost five years from my diagnosis date. I had chemo-induced menopause, and have been on Femara generic for 4 years.
My previous oncologist retired. The new oncologist has recommended I do Zometa infusions every six months. Yet I'm reading that people who do Zometa often have femur breaks to look forward to. So I am confused as to why something that is supposed to build bone strength would lead to large bone fractures. Anyone have knowledge there?
And I'm told Zometa will help guard against recurrence.
I've had two bone denisities done since my diagnosis. The second showed a slight decrease in density from the first - they were about a year apart. I am not yet in osteopenia, but edging closer.
Has anyone out there chosen to do Zometa as a precaution against relapse and as a bone strengthener? any significant side effects? Crazy expensive? And please, if someone can help me understand the likelihood that taking Zometa could lead to large bone fractures.

thanks so much!!
Lizz
LizzElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
tricia keegan

Re: Zometa

Hi,

The pills made me queasy so I had a generic of zometa by iv once a year for four years. It reversed my Osteopenia completey that was caused by Arimidex which I took for ten years. Only the first infusion gave me flu like symptoms but after that the rest were fine. I think the issue with a risk of fractures only happens after more than five years on this which is why I asked my Onc if we could stop at four years and she agreed.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #3
LizzElliot

Oh, thank you! This is very helpful; knowing that it is after several years! Thank you, Tricia!
LizzElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
Donna H

I have been on Prolia for 6 doses so far. My last bone d test showed substantial improvement. I have had no side effects from it - other than the freak out I experienced after the last bill! I had to switch insurance in 2018 (and again in 2019) and the last insurance didn't pay much of the Prolia. But because it is working so well I will pay whatever is necessary. I was DX with osteoporosis at age 51.
Donna H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
tricia keegan

You're welcome Lizz, I can't comment on cost as I live in Ireland so my treatments were free of charge. However I did partake in a ten year (Azure) trial to see of Zometa could help prevent bone mets and it was found that it couldn't. Good luck and hope you do well on it.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote