HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
jacqueline1102

SRS and liver met

Greetings all,

I have a quick question as needing some help. I have IBC with one liver met which shrunk from 4.6 cm to .9 x .75. My radiology doc spoke with me briefly about SRS on the liver met. I have only had the one liver met which has shrunk after the TCH trio and now just on herceptin. I also had a right MRM and finsihing radiation. Has anyone heard of SRS or had this done? What are the side effects? And how long were you stable before there was any progression or were you able to stay no evidence of disease? Thanks so much for any advice and help. What I have found thus far indicates that this procedure is done with colon cancer patients but not so much with breast cancer patients.

Take care,

Jackie
jacqueline1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
Lori R

Re: SRS and liver met

Jackie,
I don't have first hand information to share with you, but I did want you to know that SRS was discussed as a potential option for my single liver met.

During my consultation at the University of Colorado medical center, the fact that I continued to battle a single liver met and was in great physical condition...we opted for the "gold standard" and went for the liver resection. Unfortunately, during the resection the surgeon was able to identify cancerous nodes that did not appear on scans. Oh well....I am glad I went for the gusto. I know I tried everything. But, surgery does come with significant risks.

During the consultation, the radiologist who would have managed the SRS treatment said the average progression free results were in the 3-5 years. I believe the challenge is stabalizing the liver as it moves when we breath. Also, uncertainty as to how the liver reacts to radiation.

Do NOT let anyone count you out because of breast cancer vs. colon cancer. There was a hint of reluctance in my case as well. When the Drs. saw that I was realistic about what the surgery might buy me, they were all in for moving forward.

Keep on fighting for what is in your heart. Good Drs. will direct you. It was the radiologist who suggested the surgery as she thought given the available data it seemed like the best option.

Lori
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Lauriesh

I don't know anything about srs, but I did have ablation done for my one liver met. Has that option been discussed? It is a very easy procedure and I have been NED for 16 months now following this procedure.

Laurie
12 taxol/Herceptin
Year of Herceptin
liver mets- July-2010
7 taxotere/Herceptin
RFA- Feb.2011
NED
U of Wa vaccine trial-oct 2011-Feb 2012
Herceptin/tykerb
Ned - 2 1/2 years
Herceptin & perjeta
Ned 3 years
Herceptin- reducing treatments , due to s/e, to 5-6 a year
NED- 3 1/2 years
Ned - 4 years
2/15- stopped herceptin - on no treatment
Lauriesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
jacqueline1102

Thank you, Lori and Laurie, for your response. It seems like these procedures are rare. I had researched the RFA but when the radiology oncologist mentioned SRS I was a little surprised as I had not heard about SRS. I had also read about the liver resection which kinda scares me. Next Tuesday is my last radiation so I will ask lots of questions. Thank you again, ladies. Have a relaxing fourth of July.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
jml

Hi~
I haven't ever heard of SRS, but have had both RFA to a liver lesion, then a liver resection to remove the R lobe with lesion 11 months later.
If you're still seeing shrinkage/response to TCH & solo Herceptin, why not stay the course and allow the drugs to finish what it's already started? I would think it's premature to look at other options if the current treatment is still working.
I was dx'd Stage IV, with a single liver met from 1st diagnosis and after a year of treatment I got to NED for a year.
Then the liver lesion popped back up , but because I was NED everywhere else, RFA seemed like a good option.
Unfortunately the RFA, was incomplete/unsuccessful bc the lesion was too close to the main portal vein to get a good "burn" around the periphery.
The lesion of course "grew back" and after a year of watching it grow & recede, on & off chemo, we finally decided on the liver resection.
After the resection, my liver remained NED for 5 years, while the disease popped up in other parts of my body.

Disease has returned to nodes pretty much everywhere - lung, chest, abdomen, etc- but by the Grace of God, my current regiment of oral Methotrexate & oral Cytoxan +Herceptin has helped me find my way back to NED!
NED in the Head, NED in body, including liver.

Hope this info is helpful~

Keep the Faith

Jml

Dx-5/17/02 - 33 yo; Stage IV - L IDC w/single liver met
1) Herceptin + Navelbine x 8 weeks - No response; progress to innumerable,immeasureable liver mets
2) ISIS 2504 + Herceptin - 6 mos, partial response
3) Taxol + Herceptin x 13 weeks to NED!
NED for 1 year
9/04 - Single liver lesion recurrence
Taxol + Herceptin - on/off to beat back lesion
12/05 - R Hepatectomy; Liver NED until 2009
3/06- Local recurrence - Left breast, IDC & DCIS, but holding treatment while continue to heal from Hepatectomy.
12/06 - L mastectomy + reconstruction through 8/07
10/07 - Recurrence - supraclav nodes
4) Gemzar + Herceptin - on/off controlling nodes thru
9/08 - 7wks Rads to supraclav nodes
10/08 - Acute Renal Failure - nodes in belly stricturing kidneys. placed permanent ureteral stents
Back on Gemzar + Herceptin, but no longer responding.
5) 05/09 - Tykerb + Xeloda - partial response x 5 mos
6) 10/09 - Xeloda + Herceptin - no response, disease progresses
7) 2/10- Ixempra + Herceptin - partial response x 12 wks.
Discovered single brain lesion x 4mm & liver lesions growing while screening for TDM1 + PI3Kinase study.
6/10 - Novalis to treat brain met - SUCCESSFUL!
8) 6/10 - Chemo-embo w/Adriamyacin to de-bulk liver lesion.
9) 8/10 - Screened & Started TDM1 EAP
Immediate response, disease in belly responds dramatically.
2/11- questionable progression of lung nodules
Discontinue TDM1
10) 3/11 - PI3Kinase + Herceptin - intial good response in 1st 6 weeks but LFT's elevated.
11) 7/11-Discontinue PI3Kinase + Herceptin study;
Disease progression - 2 small lesions in colon – docs have never seen this before in BC
11) 8/11 –Start new combo Halaven+Herceptin
10/14/11 -Completed 3 cycles (9 wks)Halaven+Herceptin...
10/18/11 - Scanxiety time -1st scans since starting this regimen
Good interval response, continue on H+H!
10/25/11 – new 2mm questionable spot in brain? Due to Novalis or new disease?
Re-scan in 8 weeks.
1/3/12- Disease progression; 50%increase size & SUV-R lung, middle lobe 6cm lesion.
R supraclav node multiple, miscellaneous nodes in belly. Colon lesions fired up.
12)Herceptin+ metronomic Cytoxan + Methotrexate.
…on a hope & a prayer. Only chemo I haven’t been on is Taxotere.
Hurry up Pertuzumab & TDM1!
Follow Up Brain Scan on 1/18/12…pleasepleaseplease be okay. I can’t take much more.
1/18/2012- 8 new spots in 8 weeks since last Brain MRI
one 2cm spot in brain stem, one 2cm spot in R temporal lobe.
No symptoms, THANK GOD!
1/25/12 – Start WBR x 15 rounds
2/10/12 – Oral Cytoxan WORKING! Melted supraclav node & undetectable by US!
2/14/12 – FINISH 15 rounds WBR
6/12/12- Continuing on oral Methotrexate BID & Cytoxan qpm, but on chemo break
for 3rd week due to low counts.
6/15/12 – Yay! Resume chemoJ
6/25/12 – Chemo break again due to low counts L
6/28/12 – PET Scan & Brain MRI this week…
NED IS BACK!!! NED in the HEAD, NED in the BODY!
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Jackie07

Below is one of several reports located through PubMed:

Radiat Oncol. 2012 Feb 1;7:16.
Stereotactic body radiation therapy for liver tumours using flattening filter free beam: dosimetric and technical considerations.

Mancosu P, Castiglioni S, Reggiori G, Catalano M, Alongi F, Pellegrini C, Arcangeli S, Tozzi A, Lobefalo F, Fogliata A, Navarria P, Cozzi L, Scorsetti M.
Source

IRCCS Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Rozzano (Milano), Italy. pietro.mancosu@humanitas.it

Abstract

PURPOSE:

To report the initial institute experience in terms of dosimetric and technical aspects in stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) delivered using flattening filter free (FFF) beam in patients with liver lesions.
METHODS AND MATERIALS:

From October 2010 to September 2011, 55 consecutive patients with 73 primary or metastatic hepatic lesions were treated with SBRT on TrueBeam using FFF beam and RapidArc technique. Clinical target volume (CTV) was defined on multi-phase CT scans, PET/CT, MRI, and 4D-CT. Dose prescription was 75 Gy in 3 fractions to planning target volume (PTV). Constraints for organs at risk were: 700 cc of liver free from the 15 Gy isodose, Dmax < 21 Gy for stomach and duodenum, Dmax < 30 Gy for heart, D0.1 cc < 18 Gy for spinal cord, V15 Gy < 35% for kidneys. The dose was downscaled in cases of not full achievement of dose constraints. Daily cone beam CT (CBCT) was performed.
RESULTS:

Forty-three patients with a single lesion, nine with two lesions and three with three lesions were treated with this protocol. Target and organs at risk objectives were met for all patients. Mean delivery time was 2.8 ± 1.0 min. Pre-treatment plan verification resulted in a Gamma Agreement Index of 98.6 ± 0.8%. Mean on-line co-registration shift of the daily CBCT to the simulation CT were: -0.08, 0.05 and -0.02 cm with standard deviations of 0.33, 0.39 and 0.55 cm in, vertical, longitudinal and lateral directions respectively.
CONCLUSIONS:

SBRT for liver targets delivered by means of FFF resulted to be feasible with short beam on time.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
jacqueline1102

Thanks so much, jml and Jackie. I so appreciate the time everyone has taken to respond to my question. Much to ponder.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Joan M

Jackie,

I had both a wedge resection and RFA, but for my lung, not my liver. The last time I had cancer in the lung was August 2008 (I also had one brain met, and treated it with a craniotomy followed by targeted radiation, and that was in 2008, as well).

I had early stage breast cancer in 2003, which recurred in the lung in 2007. Since becoming stage 4, I have not had chemotherapy, only Herceptin.

Most breast cancer oncologists really look down on local treatments. They say that once the cancer becomes stage 4, it's systemic and should be treated systemically. I would agree, and even though I had local treatments, I'm still taking Herceptin, which is a systemic treatment. It's just not chemotherapy. Thus far, I've been NED for 44 months, but who knows when that could change. Jml was NED for 5 years.

There seems to be a movement within some breast cancer oncology circles to consider local treatments for women who have very limited disease, such as nodules in only one or two places, which is called oligometastasis (check it out online). Afterward, patients would receive an adjuvant round of chemotherapy (which is like having chemotherapy for early stage disease). If all is still well, the patient would just continue on Herceptin. I didn't go the chemotherapy route and took only Herceptin, and the nodule which had been treated with the wedge resection in 2007 recurred a year later. But since the ablation of that second nodule with RFA in 2008, the lung has been clear.

Last fall I attended a conference for women with metastatic breast cancer at Johns Hopkins Hospital, and a surgeon spoke about local procedures. Since he was a gastrointestinal guy, he mentioned liver mets a lot, and he also said that RFA, as well as cryoablation (freezing, rather than burning), and chemoembolization (arterial) is reserved for patients who are inoperable. But was I clearly operable and opted for RFA. Interventional radiology procedures have been done in the liver for both primary and secondary (mets) liver cancer for many years. RFA is radiofrequency waves (and I believe pretty harmless). SRS is radiation. RFA can be repeated, which is often not the case with radiation.

Click on the presentation by Kenzo Hirose to see and hear his session on treating mets with local procedures. It's an excellent comprehensive overview of treating metastatic breast cancer with local procedures.

http://mbcn.org/special-events/categ...sentations/P6/

The more cancer meetings I attend, the more I'm hearing about using local procedures as an option for treating metastatic breast cancer. It's another option, and I would like several options for controlling my disease.

Dr. Edith Perez who was one of the principal investigators of an adjuvant Herceptin trial thinks that local procedures should be considered. I recently saw her at the annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology in Chicago. Dr, Perez was also interviewed recently and was asked about surgical procedures and she is looking into setting up a clinical trial to give everybody chemo but first to treat patients in one arm of the trail with a local procedure. Here is a 15-minute video and the transcript, where she discusses surgery for metastatic breast cancer:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/clinical...stCancer/32835
Others at the conference were also mentioning local procedures during sessions about metastatic breast cancer.

As an aside, what's happening with your tumor markers? Are they elevated? Have they ever been elevated?

Regardless of which treatment you choose, good luck with your choice.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!

Last edited by Joan M; 07-05-2012 at 06:33 PM..
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
jacqueline1102

Thank you, Joan. Thank you for the website links as well. This gives me some things to think about.

Take care,

Jacqueline (Jackie)
Old 07-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
CoolBreeze

I also had a liver resection. It's a pretty rare surgery among breast cancer patients, so finding this many in one place is a treat! Joan is right, the oligo mets theory is becoming more accepted and they are starting to treat those of us with limited mets more aggressively.

I would not say - at all - that the liver surgery was an easy surgery. But, I'm glad did it. I had a more difficult time than others I think, since I got C-diff six weeks post-surgery. I nearly died from that and am still healing from it. (Surgery was in early October, I got septic with c-diff on Thanksgiving).

They removed all of the left lobe (which had two mets) and they found a spot in the right lobe with an unexpected met that they used microwave ablation on.

Before they do these surgeries, they do want to see response to chemo. You don't "let chemo finish the job" as somebody said, but you get some response and then they may do the surgical route. If they don't think it will do any good and you won't respond via chemo, they aren't going to take chances on you. In fact, if you get complete response they typically won't do the surgery. But there is still cancer cells there and you may be giving them time to move around.

I think you have to go to a major cancer center to get these newer treatments. Don't expect your home town oncologist to do them.

However, after my difficult experience, it appears that I'm NED. It's a cautious NED because although my UCSF surgeon thinks my PET scans show normal activity post-resection/ablation my oncologist isn't so sure. I've remained on Abraxane and herceptin. I may get to take an Abraxane break for a bit, which I'm looking forward to!

Good luck with your decision. I know it's not easy but you are lucky to live in a time where limited mets are treated aggressively and not just left to grow.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
jacqueline1102

Thanks so much, Coolbreeze. I am happy to hear that you are cautiously NED as your treatment team has said. Indeed, it is much to think about. Thank you so much for sharing your story. There is so much wisdom with this site.

Thank you,

Jackie
Old 07-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
norkdo

Coolbreeze, I followed your blog through your operations last fall and I am delighted to hear you are NED!! Yay!! Congratulations!!

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote