HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #1
Mary Jo

New Doctor

Hello All,

For those of you who saw my post when I was going through the process of getting a new oncologist I thought I'd let you know what happened. By the way..............thanks to those of you who had advice to offer me in helping me through that process.

My onc. is leaving and I was "assigned" a new oncologist to "help make the transition smooth for me." Anyway, the onc. I was "assigned" was not the onc. for me - at least in my opinion. I preceded to do some research on who I was "assigned" and other oncs. at the hospital I go too. That's where my questioning of you all came in.

Anyway, I ended up calling my nurse practitioner, Julie, to question her on things that were bothering me about the new oncologist I was assigned and asking about other oncologists I had done some research on. I asked her if it were true that the onc. assigned to me was not board certified in anything and she said that was true as he was just completing his fellowship as an oncolgist at Froedtert. I then preceded to ask her about 2 other oncs. I was considering. Thankfully Julie and I have a great relationship and she was honest with me as I was with her about my feelings and what I wanted. She did tell me that she was instrumental in the "assigning" of patients with 3 different oncs. and her thought process with me was that I was fine and wouldn't see an onc. much more than 2 or 3 times per year. I told her that I hoped and prayed that was really true and God willing never had to face this beast again BUT if recurrence was part of my future this new onc. wasn't really the onc. I wanted to have. She said after listening to my explanations and reasoning that I was right and that my personality isn't the type that would just "settle" for what I was given if I had doubts or questions and felt that the match wasn't right. So..............................the good news is this................ my nurse spoke to Dr. Chitambar today. He is a 2007/08 best doctor - board certified in hematology - medical oncology and internal medicine. Care emphasis is breast cancer a long with a few others. My nurse Julie assured me that he was very nice and communication with him would be open and honest. Also, my nurse goes a long with him. So, I feel blessed on both accounts. A great replacement for the great onc. I had and my wonderful nurse practitioner gets to stay with me.

Thank you to those who helped me through this process. I am so happy I spoke up and looked out for myself.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28

Last edited by Mary Jo; 05-14-2007 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: spelled doctors name wrong
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Barbara2

Good for you! Doesn't it feel good to know that your perserverance paid off? You will sleep better tonight knowing that you have a great onc in your camp!

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
Jean

Dear Mary Jo,

I am thrilled you spoke up - good for you!
Second - I am hoping that you will not need the good Dr's. services...only to check up on you and send you home.....

Good Luck with the new boyfriend.
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
Leslie's sister

Good job

You handled that situation very well. It is always better to handle things calmly as they come up rather than wait. Congratulations. Hopefully you will not have to deal with Oncs in the future!
5 cm. Her2Neu+++, ER-, PR-
1 positive node out of six,
double mastectomy 6/9/06;
TCH started 7/12/06
last chemo 10/25/06
herceptin ended 6-11-07
Leslie's sister is offline   Reply With Quote