HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
emmastarr

Fatigue

Hi girls!
Just after some advice really. Am feeling very fatigued today, feel like I've hit the wall. Have been fatigued since chemo etc and it hasn't really improved that much since I've been on herceptin. I've had no herceptin for 6 weeks to see if my EF improves (which it has) but the fatigue is still there. I do have 2 young, active kids that keep me busy and my low white count means that I'm picking up colds/throat infections etc which obviously doesn't help!Any suggestions?
Thanks, Emma
Lymph nodes clear, no vascular invasion
Stage 1, grade 1, ER+, PR-, HER2+
Had 5x FEC, on tamoxifen and herceptin
emmastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Re: Fatigue

Hi Emma,

I'm one of the few here who had most of the same treatment you have had. Most have had Adriamycin and Cytoxan like you and I but have not had 5-FU and instead have had a taxane. I also was on tamoxifen afterward. However, I did not have any blood boosters in-between treatments (which you may have had), and I never have had trastuzumab because it wasn't approved back when I had treatment.

Everyone is a little different due to age differences and other factors, but I too had fatigue and low blood counts for a long time afterward even though I have no other chronic conditions that would contribute to that. Eating healthy food and getting a bit of exercise helps, but with that particular chemo regimen the blood counts didn't rise much for almost 3 years, and only slowly.

You might be younger than I was. I was 51 at the time. If you are younger, your blood counts may improve sooner than mine. I know this may sound a bit discouraging but I do want you to know that what you are going through is similar to another person that was previously healthy, and that eventually it does improve.

AlaskaAngel
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
Deb33

I've completed 4 of my 6 chemo treatments and fatigue is a constant battle. I drink wheatgrass and carrot juice with spinach every other day to help maintain my blood count. I've also heard boiling papaya leaves and drinking the tea is helpful but I haven't tried that. I also have a cup of coffee each morning - a no no but it helps get me going.
Deb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
tricia keegan

Hi Emma,

I had a different regime and no young children but fatigue was a huge issue for me throughout my entire treatment, I was fortunate that I could rest when I needed to though!
Do you have someone to help with the children so you could nap more when you need it??
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
whatz

Hej,
I'm about 1 year out from Herceptin and still tired (and no small active kids to tend to neither :-) ). Anyway my blood-values are borderline normal except for something that indicates high red-cell count. My onc did not remark on it but my GP indicated it could mean a Vit B deficiency (which also would manifest with fatigue). Long story...I've started taking a B-Complex (today is day 2 of the experiment) and I have to say I do feel better. May want to check into that...
6/09 Adriamycin + Cytoxan 4 treatments (every 3 weeks) followed by Taxol + Herceptin, 1 treatment weekly for 12 weeks, followed by Herceptin for 40 weeks
MRI Brain 4/10 clear
CT Body 4/10 clear
PET Body 2/11 clear
whatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Mary L

I just wanted to share something has helped me have more energy since all of my chemo & 4 years of Herceptin. My onc told me they ran a study on chemo fatigue and the people who took the Ginsing had an improvement in their energy. I have been taking Ginsana for 4 years and I can tell the difference when I run out of it. It works for me. Mary L
Mary L from PA Diag: Oct 2003 w/6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, IBC stage IIIB. tx A/C followed by Taxotere(only able to have 2 tx, allergic), mastectomy, 3 0ut of 7 positive nodes. 35 rads. Recurrence 9 months later, skin mets to mastectomy site. Tx Carboplatin/Herceptin. Stayed on Herceptin almost 5 years, had 3 more recurrences when I had to stop Herceptin due to my ejection fraction getting too low. Herceptin stopped and ned 3 years in Oct. 2010.
Mary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
pibikay

I think fatigue is a side effect.Hema is on Tykerb alone these days and she is often fatigued
Left breast cauliflower 25x20cm
ossousmetstatis in vertbrae secondaries L4=L5secondary
nodules in both liver lobes secondary
Diagnosed 10th March 2010
ER/PR-ve
Her 2 neu +++
Taxotrne Zylotec started 16th March
Herceptin added 5th April.9th Herceptin over on 20th Sep '10.Started on Tykerb and Xeloda on 22nd Oct2010TYKERB 4 TAB A DAY XELODA 4 TAB A DAY ONE WEEK ON ONE WEEK OFFZoletrust infusion every 4 months.Lesion in Brain 3D CRT Radiation started on 1st Feb'12 for 20 days ,5 days a week for 4 weeks.Devloped a small lump in breast.Xeloda stopped from 11th April '12.On Taxol.After 3 cycles of Taxol Taxol stopped.Back to Xeloda regime from 3rd July
Herceptin started again on 27th Dec 2012.Xeloda stopped Navelbin added on 7th February 2013.Now on Tykerb Herceptin and Navelbin
pibikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
Catherine

I am 5 years out from DX, but oh, do I remember the fatigue and the wall. I have always wondered how you young mothers cope with the fatigue and young children. I had the luxury of taking a nap whenever I needed a nap. Gingseng sounds worth trying...but if you can get some help with the kids that would be even better. How about hiring a young person to come in for an hour each day and you take a nap or at least a rest. You will eventually get stronger and less tired, but it may take another year before the walls start disappearing. My walls would appear after 3-4 days of busy living...and then I would just collapse and have to go to bed. All the best, and please do try to sneak in a few naps just for you.

All the best,

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
sarah

Hello Emma,
Fatigue comes with the territory. I feel I stayed in bed, reading books most of the 6 months I did chemo and consequently gained 15 lbs! While I feel I've never regained my stamina or breath, I am pretty active. For me, fatigue was the hardest side effect because it seemed such a waste of time but it does get better and everyone suffers from it. I was on Taxol for 6 months with Herceptin which I stayed on for 6 years.
I'd say try to take little walks, watch what you eat and rest when you feel like it. Don't let the fatigue make you depressed, it will pass just as your hair will grow back! stay strong.
health and happiness
hugs and love
sarah
Old 05-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
emmastarr

Thank you for all your advice and support, you have all made me feel much better knowing that this fatigue thing does go away at some point. xx
Lymph nodes clear, no vascular invasion
Stage 1, grade 1, ER+, PR-, HER2+
Had 5x FEC, on tamoxifen and herceptin
emmastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:34 AM   #11
JennyB

Hi Emma,

I have just started Radio and also have 2 young children and am also at times exhausted, it is not every day but I find I run out of patience with my 2 yr old on the bad days and then feel worse about eveything because of that! I think it is a combination of of course the children the treatment and the thinking about everything constantly. Am hoping that it wears off soon and that it is just the odd bad day.
I take many supplements including astragalus and COQ10 and try to eat lots of fresh produce and juice every day.
Hope you start to feel energised soon.
Jenny
Clear margins but lymphovasculer invasion
Stage 3a Grade 3
Fec 100 x 3 Jan '11 Taxotere X 3 and Herceptin X 1yr
Staging scans - CT brain & body and bone - May '11 - NED!!
Start Femara - in chemo induced menapause
25 Rads June '11
Dec '11 Menstruation resumed - zoladex inj monthly and Tamoxifen
Feb '12 Back on Femera and Zoladex
March '12 CT brain & body & bone scan all clear
Zometa x2/yearly
April '12 - Oopherectomy

Praying the Herceptin is as good as its hype!!
JennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #12
Catherine

Sarha's advice to take little walks was very true. If you can get outside for 10-20 minutes at least once a day and walk around the block or down your lane, this will help too. Finding that time for yourself is very hard when you are the mommie. The walks will keep any possible depression at bay. Yes, this will all get better. And yes all this lounging around seems like a waste of time, but is a part of the side effects.

You can do it, and we are behind you. Please do try and get someone to help with your little people, so you have a little time to reenergize.

All the best,

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote