HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2014, 07:43 PM   #41
Catherine

Re: Cancer secret to success?! Finding your match!

I have really enjoyed this discussion. I do not understand 10% of it, but I plan to come back and read through it again and try to get up to 15%. Thank you GDP and Andrea for all of your posts. I too was touched with the story about Greg's wife.

Thank you to all on our amazing site,

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #42
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

Agreed, Catherine. I must confess I skim. Brain not equipped for such stuff, but -- I get enough to KNOW in my gut that this is a stunning unknown fact about treating cancer. It's been held back by mainstream docs for over 20 yrs. Think of the lives it could have saved!!!

This link POSTED BY RHONDA OVER A YR AGO:
You Are Not the Result of Your Genes | Genetic Genie

THIS POSTED BY GDPAWEL A YEAR AGO:
The choice of a lab is not a geographical consideration, but a technical consideration. All of the labs are experienced and capable of providing very useful information.

However, the labs vary considerably with regard to technologies, approach to testing, what they try to achieve with the testing, and cost. Some labs have been offering these assays as a non-investigational, paid service to cancer patients, in a situation where up to 30 different drugs and combinations are tested, at two drug concentrations in three different assay systems.

The labs will provide you and your physician with in depth information and research on the testing they provide. Absent the assays, the oncologist will perform "trial-and-error" treatment until he/she finds the right chemotherapy regimen. You should have the right chemo in the first-line of treatment.

By investing a little time on the phone speaking with the lab directors, you should have enough knowledge to present the concept to your own physician. At that point, the best thing is to ask the physician, as a courtesy to the patient, to speak on the phone with the director of the laboratory in which you are interested, so that everyone (patient, physician, and laboratory director) understand what is being considered, what is the rationale, and what are the data which support what is being considered.

Also, there is tumor analysis (genotyping) coupled with clinical trial literature search, which tries to match therapies to patient-specific biomarker information to generate a treatment approach. In other words, information that may help when considering "potential" treatment options (theoretical analysis).

Or you can "actually" measure (phenotyping) the response of the tumor cells to drug exposure. Following this exposure, measure both cell metabolism and cell morphology. The integrated effect of the drugs on the whole cell, resulting in a cellular response to the drug, measuring the interaction of the entire genome.

The endpoints (point of termination) of genotyping analysis are gene express, examining a single process (pathway) within the cell or a relatively small number of processes (pathways) to test for "theoretical" candidates for targeted therapy.

The endpoints of phenotyping analysis are expression of cell-death, both tumor cell death and tumor associated endothelial (capillary) cell death (tumor and vascular death), and examines not only for the presence of the molecular profile but also for their functionality, for their interaction with other genes, proteins and other processes occuring within the cell, and for their "actual" response to targeted therapy (not theoretical susceptibility).

Again, the choice is theoretical vs actual analysis.

World renowned Oncologists are challenging the cancer industry to recognize a Chemo-Screening test (CSRA) that takes the "guesswork" out of drug selection. One of the reasons medical oncologists don’t like in vitro chemosensitivity tests is that it may be in direct competition with the randomized controlled clinical trial paradigm. http://vimeo.com/72389724

GDPAWELL YOU ROCK. SOOO GRATEFUL WE CAN COUNT YOU AMONG US!!!

THE BOOK OUTLIVING CANCER BY DR. ROBERT NAGOURNEY was enormously enlightening and exciting to me. It made a lot of this so much clearer to me!

I recommend you check that book out.

Reading Nagourney's book, Outliving Cancer, I was really impressed with his successes. Stories I could get my arms around!

And top docs themselves go to him and his labs for match ups for themselves or their spouse! That says a lot.

As Americans know -- when you see Chinese people eating in American Chinese restaurants you just know -- this is the real deal!

Thanks Greg for the phrase FUNCTIONAL CYTOMETRIC PROFILING. And the reference to Dr. William R. Grace who utilizes this practice!

check out this link ladies:

Home

Weisenthal Cancer Group -- personalized chemotherapy
YES!

Going to google now...
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #43
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

Functional Profiling Leads to Identification of Accurate Genomic Findings - Cancer News - Cancer Forums

Functional Profiling : ImmuneCarta Services/Technology

New Tab

A deep profiler’s guide to cytometry
Sean C. Bendall1, Garry P. Nolan1, Mario Roederer2 and Pratip K. Chattopadhyay2
1 Baxter Laboratory in Stem Cell Biology, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305,
USA
2 ImmunoTechnology Section, Vaccine Research Center, NIAID, NIH, Bethesda, MD, USA
In recent years, advances in technology have provided us
with tools to quantify the expression of multiple genes in
individual cells. The ability to measure simultaneously
multiple genes in the same cell is necessary to resolve
the great diversity of cell subsets, as well as to define
their function in the host. Fluorescence-based flow cytometry
is the benchmark for this; with it, we can quantify
18 proteins per cell, at >10 000 cells/s. Mass cytometry is
a new technology that promises to extend these capabilities
significantly. Immunophenotyping by mass spectrometry
provides the ability to measure >36 proteins at
a rate of 1000 cells/s. We review these cytometric technologies,
capable of high-content, high-throughput single-
cell assays.
The case for deep profiling
To understand the biological actions of cells and their mechanisms
of differentiation, we must understand how phenotype
and function are structured across diverse cell types
and tissues. This structure can be perturbed by innate or
infectious sources, which may drive disease pathogenesis;
therefore, understanding it is crucial for identifying treatments
and preventions. Great cellular diversity underlies
this organization, so measurements taken at the single-cell
level that encompass RNA, protein and glycan species (‘high
content’) across many cells (‘high throughput’) will greatly
aid our formulation of a more comprehensive understanding.
In many respects, this is walking the path previously
trodden by genomics and proteomics – long accustomed to
thinking about many target markers per experiment. However,
traditional single-cell analysis has focused on many
cells and a few parameters per experiment. As we delve into
more complex cellular systems, such as cellular signaling
networks or T cell functional responses, we must reorient
this thinking to consider many parameters in many cells; in
essence, ‘deep profiling’ every single cell from a representative
population of cells.
Among well-established technologies for cellular analysis,
flow cytometry is unique for its ability to interrogate
rapidly multiple biologic signatures (protein epitopes,
nucleic acids, ion concentrations) simultaneously within a
single cell. Over the past 40 years, since the introduction of
the first fluorescence-based flow cytometers, the maximum
number of proteins that can be simultaneously measured
has progressively increased. These advances can be attributed
to parallel
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #44
norkdo

forgive the comic injection....
jackie, i just read the review, and i say "so ....he is a quack."
Andi:
I LOVE YOU. I LOVE YOUR SPIRIT. DON'T QUIT SEARCHING FOR US...

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote