HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-06-2008, 02:57 AM   #1
R.B.

RB My book 'Omega Six The Devils Fat' finished at last

MY BOOK !! at long last.

VERY scary - I have taken some quite big risks. This is the first mainstream book with an Omega 6 based title and hesitantly treads new ground.

Three years and much nerding later, my book on Omega 6 and Omega 3 is complete and available.

It is currently no 24 in Amazons hot new release list which is hopeful as no publicity work has been done yet. I am still waiting for the subtitle to be included in Amazon.com which should help.

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Six-Devi...2744143&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Omega-Six-De...2744475&sr=1-1

SEARCH INSIDE is enabled.

Thank you for all your comments and questions over time as they have help drive the research that resulted in the book.

It is much more general and wide ranging than the subject matter I post here.

The book is due to be launched in the UK on the 16th hopefully. At the moment there are problems with the google search / amazon label as it comes up under poor food. Very curious.

WEB site

Omegasixthedevilsfat.com

The author and preface sections will be opened at the time of the launch. You can get in early the user name is RAB and the password press 1.

Many thanks for all you kind words and support over the time I have been posting, it has been really appreciated. Your questions have been a big part in forming the book, and the book would not have existed had I not started posting here - so many thanks Jo and Christine.

RB

Synopsis
The Devils Fat is a book everybody should read. The Omega Three and Six essential fatty acids families, (EFAs), are particularly fundamental to female health. Omega 6 is the sibling of Omega 3. If Omega 3 is the mistress, Omega 6 is the master. Omega 6 arguably links us to the fertility of the environment. The impact of EFAs on health, body structure, and function are little understood by the general public. Omega 3 and 6 alter behaviour. This book looks at pressing issues in society from an Omega 3 and 6 viewpoint including the impact of excess Omega 6 on health costs, for individuals and nations, in a competitive world. Issues examined include; western inflammatory conditions, such as ADHD, asthma, arthritis, diabetes, osteoporosis, and neurological disorders like dementia and Alzheimer's, as well as fertility, early puberty, obesity, sleep quality, gender identity, alcohol consumption, and behavioral trends such as aggression, self harm, suicide, and criminality. The book tries to be both understandable to the general public, and sufficiently authoritative to interest a doctor. Well over 800 references are made to trials and reports.There is no other book in the mainstream market that examines the importance of Omega 3 and 6 in human health, in such detail or breadth.

A female librarian said the book was fascinating and difficult to put down. Another female reader said the central message was very clear, and was applied to everyday issues of interest. Robert Brown is a lay person. Robert had to understand the subject matter from scratch. He takes the reader on his search to understand the why EFAs are so important to health. The book contains a wealth of information. It is split into small indexed topic sections for browsing. There are no commercial links. Excess Omega 6 has more profound and wide spread impact than smoking. It is insidious. Most of us have no idea that excess Omega 6 is anything but good for us - we are told eat more polyunsaturates. Vegetable oils can contain 70% Omega 6 and no Omega 3. The influence of excess Omega 6 is from conception to grave. The neatest of twists is that you are programmed to store Omega 6 in your body fat. Why the Devils Fat? The Devil is traditionally linked with the number 666. Omega Six 18:2 n6 has lots of links with 6s.It is eighteen carbon atoms long, and the 1st. double bond is at the 6th carbon. Excess Omega 6 promotes the seven deadly sins, lust, gluttony, greed, wrath, envy, pride, and sloth.

Trials show excess Omega 6 and lack of 3 increases male behavioural traits like aggression, impulsiveness, self interest, and less cooperative behaviour. At the same time 6 reduces female traits. Omega 6 increases risks of western illnesses. If the Devil (real or construct I leave to you) had wanted to promote the seven deadly sins, he or she could not have found a better way. Omega 6 in excess allows us to turn ourselves into dumber, sicker, more aggressive, impulsive, selfish, humans, which arguably is not the best mix for a long term sustained future, on an increasingly crowded planet. Excess Omega 6 sets the body into a permanent low level inflammatory state. The body is put on constant alert. In time, incomplete sleep, permanent stress, and excess inflammatory Omega 6 chemicals, with a lack of Omega 3, lead to greater risk of the western inflammatory conditions. A lack of Omega 3 and excess of Omega 6 is arguably a core explanation for growing rates of western conditions. The book explains why.Omega 3 and 6 cannot be compared to ginseng or green tea.

Omega 3 and 6 were in the earliest design or evolutionary specifications list, and feature in many of the body processes, and most of the structures. Omega 3 helps define women. Women make 10 times more long chain Omega 3 DHA, than men. Omega 3 the mistress, moderates, calms and controls the master Omega 6. Without a balance of both the Omega 3 and 6 fats there is no harmony.
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
Mary Jo

Well, how cool is that. A huge congratulations to you RB. I'll be checking it out right after I sign off from here.

Hope it sells like crazy......

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:07 AM   #3
dhealey

Congrats R.B. I will definitely have to get this book.
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
kimber

Talking

Congrats RB!!!!!!!

I can't wait to purchase a copy. You have helped me to help myself. As a matter of fact, I know what many of my friends will be getting for gifts!!

You have been a pleasure to have around here.

-kim
double mastectomy
4DD AC - 16 weekly Taxol
6 months Herceptin - stopped due to MUGA
35 chest wall rads
Tamoxifen
Lat flap with silicone implant reconstruction on left side due to radiation. "Normal" silicone on right. Finished all reconstruction 6-07!!!
kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:57 AM   #5
Gerri

Wow!

Congratulations RB! I will be sure to get a copy. I may not always understand all of the lingo, but I have benefited from your many posts.

When you become rich and famous can we say we "knew you when"?

Don't be a stranger. We still need your wisdom here on the board.

Hope it is a best seller!!
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
fullofbeans

Congratulation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well done I know that your postings made me realise how important it is to minimise omega6 intake and that it was insidious indeed in our diet. I knew that inflamation and cancer are bed partners..but you made me understand where to look for a major guilty factor..thank you.

35 y/o
June 06: BC stage I
Grade 3; ER/PR neg
Her-2+++; lumpectomies

Aug 06: Stage IV
liver mets: 6 tumours
July 06 to Jan 07: 2*FEC+6*Taxotere; 3*TACE; LITT
March 07- Sept 07: Vaccination trial (phase 2, peptide based) at the UW (Seattle).
Herceptin since 2006
NED til Oct 09
Recurrence Oct 2009: to internal mammary gland since October 2009 missed on Oct and March 2010 scan.. palpable nodes in May 2010 when I realised..
Nov 2011:7 mets to lungs progressing fast failed hercp/tykerb/xeloda combo..

superior vena cava blocked: stent but face remains puffy

April 2012: Teresa Trial, randomised to TDM1
Nov 2012 progressing on TDM1
Dec 2012 blockage of my airways by tumours, obliteration of these blocking tumours breathing better but hoping for more- at mo too many tumours to count in the lungs and nodes.

Dec 2012 Starting new trial S-222611 phase 1b dual egfr her2+ inhibitor.

'Under no circumstances should you lose hope..' Dalai Lama

Last edited by fullofbeans; 06-06-2008 at 01:32 PM..
fullofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
StephN

Wink

Oooh!
Yin and Yang of omegas! Fascinating. You have given me a whole new appreciation for what I have been trying to balance.

Was buying eggs in Trader Joe's today and always get the ones with less fat and more omega 3.

I will order your long-researched book very soon.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
SoCalGal

Congratulations RB! I am happy for you and for the people who can now benefit from your hard work.
Can't wait to read it! --Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
RobinP

Thumbs up to the Dr. of omega fats....A BIG CONGRATULATIONS

A Big Congratulations Once Again, Rb. I Too Can't Wait To Read This, As You Present Your Fascinating Villian, Omega 6, VERSES Victim Story, Women And Men Suffering With Chronic Inflammatory Processes.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
Donna

Wow!

Congratulations R.B.! I want my copy yesterday!

Thanks so much for all your information when we address the mysterious Omegas!

Best to You, Donna

Diagnosed 6/7/06 invasive ductal carcinoma/ductal carcinoma in situ
Lumpectomy 6/21/06
Pathology: Er 99% Pr 10% Her2/neu 3+
DNA Index 1.0
S-Phase 3/High
Primary Tumor 2.4 cm Sentinel Node Tumor 2.1cm
A/C/T+ Herceptin + rads + Arimidex
stopped Herceptin after 7 mos. due to low MUGA
Surgery for thickened uterine tissue May 2008 - conclusion: side effect of Arimidex
Switched from Arimidex to Femara - joint/tendon problems significantly better!
2 year mark Pet scan and Echo shows all clear!
5 year mammogram with ultrasound shows no sign of cancer - yay!
11 years, 11 months new breast cancer - found lump
Mastectomy 4/30/2018
Pathology: Er99%, PR 28%, Her2 negative! (new type)
Faslodex
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #11
Donna

I bought the book...

from Amazon, it's going to be here in two days. And now I know what you look like since you've never attached a photo.

Looks like it will be very informative reading - can't wait!

Donna

Diagnosed 6/7/06 invasive ductal carcinoma/ductal carcinoma in situ
Lumpectomy 6/21/06
Pathology: Er 99% Pr 10% Her2/neu 3+
DNA Index 1.0
S-Phase 3/High
Primary Tumor 2.4 cm Sentinel Node Tumor 2.1cm
A/C/T+ Herceptin + rads + Arimidex
stopped Herceptin after 7 mos. due to low MUGA
Surgery for thickened uterine tissue May 2008 - conclusion: side effect of Arimidex
Switched from Arimidex to Femara - joint/tendon problems significantly better!
2 year mark Pet scan and Echo shows all clear!
5 year mammogram with ultrasound shows no sign of cancer - yay!
11 years, 11 months new breast cancer - found lump
Mastectomy 4/30/2018
Pathology: Er99%, PR 28%, Her2 negative! (new type)
Faslodex
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #12
R.B.

Many thanks for all your kind words and thoughts.

There are discounted copies in the UK so I expect there will be some in the US too soon.

It is at the top of the Omega 3 and 6 searches in books on Amazon UK and more surprising has moved between the mid 20s and 40s in the hot upcoming new books - so it is now officially at least for a day or so (: in the best seller category.

It is officially launched on the 16th and available form the 11th. Press copies went out on Saturday.

It genuinely only came about in large part through posting on this site and the journey that the posts took me on - so a large part of the credit for the existence of the book is yours.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:09 AM   #13
Becky

Dear RB

I just ordered the book - I had too because you have been so instrumental in keeping everyone up to date. I should get it in a few days and I am eager to read it.

Keep up the good work. Don't leave us now!

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #14
sarah

Congrats RB! My brother's a professional writer and I understand how hard writing is and how impossible to get something published.
Well done. This will be so important to so many people.
best seller list!
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #15
kimber

I ordered my copy from Amazon yesterday. I can't wait to get it!! Your know RB, you may have to send us your autograph!

-kim
double mastectomy
4DD AC - 16 weekly Taxol
6 months Herceptin - stopped due to MUGA
35 chest wall rads
Tamoxifen
Lat flap with silicone implant reconstruction on left side due to radiation. "Normal" silicone on right. Finished all reconstruction 6-07!!!
kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #16
AlaskaAngel

Smile Learning and Sharing

Hi RB,

I'm very much looking forward to reading it. There is a lot that I want to understand better and hope to be able communicate better about it so as to share it with others. Thanks for staying with it over time, and for so carefully listening here to our concerns -- and for all of your thoughtful posts.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #17
Patrice

RB - You've changed my life in so many ways - I hope my purchases send you off to #1 Patrice
Patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #18
Vic

So, what is the healthiest ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6?

TU,

Vicki
Paget's of the nipple, Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma and DCIS of the rt breast
Bloom-Richardson score 8/9, P53+ 60-70%, Ki-67+ 30-40%
Skin-sparing mastectomy with immediate lat-flap reconstruction and saline implants, 1/04
Chemo: FAC, five sessions every three weeks Feb.-May 04, then switched to HTC weekly for 12 weeks, June-Aug 04
Zometa every 6 months for osteopenia, started April 09
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #19
tricia keegan

Congratulations from me too RB, I only just saw your thread about this having been away for a few days.
I'll check it out right now and hope it does very well for you!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #20
R.B.

"So, what is the healthiest ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6?"

That is one of those heavily debated questions to which there is no absolutely right answer - opinions seems to range between 4:1 and 1:4, with 1:2 Omega3:6 being an average maybe. I would be a cautious 1:1 on the basis that it is more likely to end up lower due to hidden omega 6, but there is no `right' answer to that.

The book remarkably does seem to be selling to date largely on word of mouth and did make the Amazon `best seller' upcoming book list as high as the late 20s over the weekend in the UK. I am amazed grateful and anxious as to what I may have got wrong (And I have found a few more typo's (red face)).

Thank you all for your kind words and support.