HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
RalphIII

Early Stage Breast Cancer and Herceptin????

Hello All,

I posted this in the Herceptin thread also but it doesn't seem to get as much activity, so I'm posting here also. I hope the mods don't mind. Anyhow....

Has anyone elected to take Herceptin who had early stage BC with the following condition.

Estrogen +
Progesterone +
Her2 +
Tumor 1cm or less
Lymph node -- (negative)

The Herceptin website seems to rule out the use of their product under those conditions? A patient with those conditions would only be a candidate for their drug had there been one "high risk factor", which is a tumor "greater than 2cm". See HERE

In contrast, BreastCancer.org cites a study stating it can be beneficial to early stage breast cancer patients even if the cancer is less than 1cm. See HERE

All input is appreciated.

God Bless,
Ralph
RalphIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
kittyqueen

Re: Early Stage Breast Cancer and Herceptin????

Hi Ralph111

Yep I tick all those boxes. 9mm Grade 3 IDC no spread to lymph nodes, clear margins..er/pr 6/8 KI-67 50%. Had 4 x EC and 4 X Taxotere strated Herceptin with the taxotere...just had my 12th Herceptin and am facing my first annual check up next week .

KQ
xxx
kittyqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
jaykay

Hi Ralph,

Herceptin and chemotherapy are typically recommended for all Her2+++ breast cancers, regardless of the stage.

Her2+++ is an aggressive cancer but there are many drugs available to treat it.

I am Her2+++/ER+/PR- currently and was the same 13 years ago. Herceptin was not approved for Stage 1 back then, so I did not have the option to use it.

Best,
Janis
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
RalphIII

Hello kittyqueen,

Yes, my wife's KI-67 was denoted as 50% also.

She had a lumpectomy last Friday and we are scheduled to see the doctor today in going over the final pathology results. Praying it holds to be 1cm or less tumor and lymph node negative. They actually removed two lymph nodes during surgery because they couldn't determine which one was first in line.

How are you doing with your treatment and Herceptin? Does it leave you sick or very weak? My wife is 43 and I'm hoping she copes well with the long term treatment which isn't determined yet. I'm just trying to study up on all of this.

God Bless,
Ralph

P.S. This is her second bout with cancer. 4 years ago she was having abdominal pains that we self diagnosed as gaul bladder issue. It indeed was a gaul bladder issue but they discovered a cancerous tumor growing off her kidney when they performed the ultrasound. It was 7mm but early stage 1b and fully contained. They were able to save virtually all of her kidney and she didn't have to take treatments. The doctor said it was the type that would have gone undetected, so the gaul bladder issue was a true Blessing...
Old 02-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
kittyqueen

Hi Ralph,

I was fine with the treatment no real probs at all. So far (fingers crossed) no SE's with the Herceptin either. I also had 19 sessions of radiotherapy too and that was no prob either. I guess I was very lucky as I managed to work all through too. Jaykay is correct in saying Her2+++ is very aggressive but lots of treatment available. Please wish your wife all the very best from me xxx

KQ xx
kittyqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
RalphIII

Hello Jaykay.

After the biopsy showed my wife was (ER+/PR+/Her2+) I began researching/studying everything I could; especially in regards to Her2+. It was my initial conclusion also, that she would receive Herceptin no matter and possibly some Chemo.

However, if you read the Herceptin site they have some specific guidelines for treatment, which rules out some early stage patients, unless they have an additional "high risk" factor. Such as a "tumor >2cm, age<35, or tumor grade 2 or 3".

So it suggests some early stage patients would not be recommended for Herceptin? We don't know the grade of tumor as yet (will this afternoon) but I'm leaning toward encouraging my wife to undertake it no matter. That's why I would like some personal input or other insight.

Question: To clarify, when you say Her2+++, do you mean the tests showed Her2+ categorized a 3 (scale 0-3)?

take care,
Ralph
Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
LeahM

Ralph, the way I understand it there is HER2+ (which means your not HER2 posive) HER2++ (which means you might be HER2 positive) and HER2+++ (which means you are HER2 positive). I think that just for an easy way of saying it, we HER2 positive folks just use one "+" sign. Know what I mean? Did I explain that well??
I can honestly say I did not do much Herceptin research before I started it but I am under the impression that ALL HER2+ patients recieve it, regardless of stage. I wonder how old the info you are looking at is? The Herceptin causes my nose to run (continously, obnoxiously, relentlessly) but that is all I can say that is negative about it. I have been recieving Herceptin alone since chemo ended in Oct 2012.
Best wishes to you and your wife, you are both in my prayers and I am sure that after you meet with the MD tomorrow you will have a lot of the answers you are looking for. This is the hardest time period...just breathe...
Leah
May 10, 2012: BRCA 1,2 Negative
May 23, 2012: MUGA Scan EF 70%
May 31, 2012: B/L Mastectomy. 2/2 nodes removed and CLEAR!! Power Port placed. 2 Drains. 2 Expanders placed
June 5, 2012: Drains OUT! Ahhhh..
June 12, 2012: Final Pathology Report, .8x.3cm tumor. Micromets to 1 node .35mm under cytokeratin staining. Stage 2A. Onc says "you are lucky to have found this early"
July 10, 2012: Started 6 rounds of TCH with weekly H
Sept 5, 2012: MUGA 65%
Sept 20, 2012: CAT scan of brain clear!
Oct 23, 2012: LAST TC! AMEN! Continue Herceptin every three weeks until July 2013.
Nov 19, 2012: Port out!
Dec 5, 2012: Started radiation
Dec. 10, 2012: MUGA 65%
Dec. 13, 2012: Turned 40. BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!
Jan 23, 2013: Last radiation. Told I am NED. Continue Herceptin every three weeks till July 2013.
Jan 29, 2013: Begin 5 years of Tamoxifen.
Feb 28, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. 5mm and 4mm nodules of unknown origin. Rescan in 3 months.
Mar 6, 2013: EF 60%
May 8, 2013: Exanders out, implants implanted...abd. lipo and fat moved up. Girls are looking good!
June 3, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. Previous nodules gone. New nodules (2mm and 3mm) found. Rescan in 3 months. So sorry I opened this can of worms...
June 11, 2013: EF 60%
June 25, 2013: Last Herceptin. wow...
Aug 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Xray to sore left ribs shows no disease or fractures.
Sept 9, 2013: CT of lungs shows no disease. Closing this can of worms and moving on.
Nov 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Severe Vit D deficiency, started on prescription Vit. D. Blaming chemo for this.
Feb 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits. Graduated to twice yearly onc appts.
Oct 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Bone density scan fine. Bone scan and xray of ribs shows "something" 4th right rib. Could be healed fracture but if it is healed why does it hurt?
Nov 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Follow up bone scan clear.
Feb 2016: Syncope! WTF? Dizzy too. Brain scan clear, ECHO EF 60%, Halter Monitor shows heart is fine. Viral? I will never know.
June 2016: Tumor markers WNL.
Oct 2016: Stabbing pain right eye. Long story short, trigeminal neuralgia.
Nov 2016 Brain MRI clear.
Jan 2017: Tumor markers WNL, still getting weird pain right rib area, and sometimes right upper chest. Xray x2, Bone Scan, Breast MRI all clear. Scar tissue? Rads. I may never know.
www.onmywaytosurvivorhood.blogspot.com
www.thechemobag.com
www.facebook.com/thechemobag
LeahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
RalphIII

Hey LeahM,

Yes, partly why I wanted to inquire here is because much of the information I've come across is several years old. Since posting, I did speak with a nurse rep at Herceptin in inquiring about their criteria. We are actually meeting the surgeon in a few hours for finals results, btw. Your explanation was very good also in regards to Her2+.

My Dad was a supervisor at a Hospital System for 30+ yrs and we have/had many many close ties there. I'm used to that atmosphere, so it's not entirely a stress issue, though that is a part of it. I'm just one that likes to be informed in every regard but wanted some personal accounts in regards to Herceptin, as I can only get here.

God bless,
Ralph
Old 02-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
Lani

There is always a gap between guidelines, the most recent literature and practice

Guidelines do not yet cover the quandary as to how small a her2 + tumor should receive herceptin. If you go to the search function on the burgundy bar above and type in small tumors and Lani I am sure I have posted on this (or search pubmed and SABCS and ASCO meeting indexes) Neil Love's audio series often questions leading on oncologists on how they treat "small"her2+ tumors.

That said, I just wanted you to know that if your wife is premenopausal the magnitude of her Ki67 varies with what phase of the menstrual cycle she was in when the biopsy/surgery was done.

Lots of things go into the "cost/risk/benefit" analysis of adjuvant herceptin--including your risk aversion and how you weigh each risk ie, cardiac dysfunction from herceptin(usuallly reversible) vs doing everything possible to guard against recurrence.

Hope this helps
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 AM   #10
RalphIII

UPDATE:

We met with the surgeon today and got the final pathology report. There was one dissapointing aspect but truly minor and as it errs on the side of caution. The surgeon achieved clear margins but one part wasn't to the degree he desired. So we are scheduled to undergo surgery again next Friday to remove a little more of the area where the tumor was. The surgeon wants to insert an IV port and will do so at that time also. So it really isn't much of a set back. We just weren't prepared to hear that at the moment but feel better about it now.

Final results:

Estrogen +
Progesterone +
Her2 + (3)
Ki-67 (IHC) 50%
Tumor .9 cm
Lymph nodes(2 tested) -- (negative)

Grade III (8-9) (Nottingham) 2,3,3

__________________________________________________ __________________

Questions:

1) We are very involved in tennis (league/tournaments). Were y'all able to continue with normal such activity given a Herceptin regimen with/without Chemo?

2) What Chemo did any of you with similar conditions use in conjuntion with Herceptin and what was your regimen schedule? Did you also undergo hormone or radiation treatments at the same time?

God Bless,
Ralph
Old 02-15-2013, 01:49 AM   #11
Jackie07

Hi Ralph,

For a while, FEC (Fluoruracil, Epirubicin, Cytoxan) was used (still are standard in England, I think) in place of the harsh AC (Adriamycin, Cytoxan). Then TCH (Texatere, Carboplatin, Herceptin) was widely adopted after Herceptin was found to be 'the' weapon for Her2 breast cancer. Lately a schedule of AC+TH has been adopted by some cancer centers. All are followed by Herceptin to make a total of 1 year treatment.

Below is the link to a recent thread that contain several members' schedule and comments:

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...sed#post288570

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:36 AM   #12
LeahM

Ralph I had the Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin chemo cocktail. I had that infused once every three weeks for a total of 6 infusions. (18 weeks). While that was going on I had the Herceptin infused weekly for 20 weeks and am now on a once every three week schedule with the Herceptin. I unfortunately did not handle the chemo (TC) well. I lived a very active lifestyle before cancer and couldn't maintain it during chemo treatments. "Standards of care" vary from treatment center to treatment center tho so you will know more once you meet with the medical oncologist.
I think tho that (and I could be wrong) HER2+ folks who have a lumpectomy have radiation treatments after chemo is done. I did rads too (34 treatments)...even tho I had a BMX...and I handled that much better then chemo.
Because I am also ER+ I started on hormone therapy after radiation was complete.
One step at a time. Chemo. Rads. Hormone therapy.
As for my active lifestyle pre cancer...I am slowy getting that back. I have joined a gym and hope to be mud running ready by May and kayaking ready by June. All this treatment to get well again really can take a toll on a persons body and I have learned that I needed to accept that and remember that it is (God willing) only temporary.
Keep us posted as you meet with the doctors.
Best Wishes.
Leah
May 10, 2012: BRCA 1,2 Negative
May 23, 2012: MUGA Scan EF 70%
May 31, 2012: B/L Mastectomy. 2/2 nodes removed and CLEAR!! Power Port placed. 2 Drains. 2 Expanders placed
June 5, 2012: Drains OUT! Ahhhh..
June 12, 2012: Final Pathology Report, .8x.3cm tumor. Micromets to 1 node .35mm under cytokeratin staining. Stage 2A. Onc says "you are lucky to have found this early"
July 10, 2012: Started 6 rounds of TCH with weekly H
Sept 5, 2012: MUGA 65%
Sept 20, 2012: CAT scan of brain clear!
Oct 23, 2012: LAST TC! AMEN! Continue Herceptin every three weeks until July 2013.
Nov 19, 2012: Port out!
Dec 5, 2012: Started radiation
Dec. 10, 2012: MUGA 65%
Dec. 13, 2012: Turned 40. BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!
Jan 23, 2013: Last radiation. Told I am NED. Continue Herceptin every three weeks till July 2013.
Jan 29, 2013: Begin 5 years of Tamoxifen.
Feb 28, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. 5mm and 4mm nodules of unknown origin. Rescan in 3 months.
Mar 6, 2013: EF 60%
May 8, 2013: Exanders out, implants implanted...abd. lipo and fat moved up. Girls are looking good!
June 3, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. Previous nodules gone. New nodules (2mm and 3mm) found. Rescan in 3 months. So sorry I opened this can of worms...
June 11, 2013: EF 60%
June 25, 2013: Last Herceptin. wow...
Aug 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Xray to sore left ribs shows no disease or fractures.
Sept 9, 2013: CT of lungs shows no disease. Closing this can of worms and moving on.
Nov 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Severe Vit D deficiency, started on prescription Vit. D. Blaming chemo for this.
Feb 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits. Graduated to twice yearly onc appts.
Oct 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Bone density scan fine. Bone scan and xray of ribs shows "something" 4th right rib. Could be healed fracture but if it is healed why does it hurt?
Nov 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Follow up bone scan clear.
Feb 2016: Syncope! WTF? Dizzy too. Brain scan clear, ECHO EF 60%, Halter Monitor shows heart is fine. Viral? I will never know.
June 2016: Tumor markers WNL.
Oct 2016: Stabbing pain right eye. Long story short, trigeminal neuralgia.
Nov 2016 Brain MRI clear.
Jan 2017: Tumor markers WNL, still getting weird pain right rib area, and sometimes right upper chest. Xray x2, Bone Scan, Breast MRI all clear. Scar tissue? Rads. I may never know.
www.onmywaytosurvivorhood.blogspot.com
www.thechemobag.com
www.facebook.com/thechemobag
LeahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #13
Lani

fyi
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2013 Feb 15. [Epub ahead of print]
Recurrence risk in small, node-negative, early breast cancer: a multicenter retrospective analysis.
Gamucci T, Vaccaro A, Ciancola F, Pizzuti L, Sperduti I, Moscetti L, Longo F, Fabbri MA, Giampaolo MA, Mentuccia L, Di Lauro L, Vici P.
Source
Medical Oncology Unit, ASL Frosinone, Via Armando Fabi, 03100, Frosinone, Italy.
Abstract
PURPOSE:
Recurrences and deaths are known to occur, even if less frequently, in small, node-negative breast cancer patients, and decision on adjuvant treatments remains controversial. In the present analysis, we evaluate recurrence risk in patients with pT1 a, b, c, node-negative, breast cancer, accordingly with some prognostic biological factors.
METHODS:
We retrospectively evaluated 900 node-negative patients (pT1a, b, c) surgery treated between 2000 and 2009 in four Italian oncologic centers. We defined 3 different cohorts: ER positive (ER+); Her-2 positive (Her-2+); and triple negative (TN).
RESULTS:
pT1a was seen in 7.6% of patients, 37.7 % pT1b, 54.8 % pT1c. Concerning the 3 different cohorts, 58.2 % were ER+; 10.8 % were Her-2+; 8.2 % were TN. Overall, chemotherapy was given to 3.0 %, 27.2 %, 69.8 % of pT1a, b, c, respectively, and to 22.7 %, 58.8 %, 68.9 % of ER+, Her-2+, TN subgroups. At a median follow-up of 67 months, 5-year DFS was 96.3 %, 89.2 %, 89.4 % in pT1a, b, c, respectively (100 %, 93.6 %, 89.8 % in ER+; 100 %, 78.7 %, 85.0 % in Her-2+; 100 %, 76.8 %, 85.2 % in TN) (p = ns). At multivariate analysis, histologic grade and Ki-67 resulted independent prognostic factors. Overall, 5-year OS was 98 %, without differences among pT1a, b, c, or among the 3 cohorts.
CONCLUSIONS:
Overall, 5-year DFS was very favorable in this series of small, node-negative breast cancers, but Her-2+ and TN cohorts have a higher recurrence rate than ER+ cohort (p < 0.0001); pT1c, but also pT1b, in Her-2+ and TN subgroups, have a worse outcome, and effective chemotherapy treatment should be considered in these unfavorable subgroups.
PMID: 23411686
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote