HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-19-2007, 03:23 AM   #1
Merridith

Dichloroacetate has a website

This site is to help inform people of the exciting research done on DCA by scientists at the University of Alberta. (This is the drug that U of A is trying to raise money for so that it can conduct clinical trials. To date, no pharmaceutical has stepped up to offer to do these clinical trials as the drug is unpatentable and therefore unprofitable)

It also has various forums around the topic including one that is chronicalling the experiences of people who are self-medicating with this drug.

www.thedcasite.com
Merridith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
Lolly

As with any medication or supplement, it's advisable to discuss possible interactions before self medicating with any substance. It's very early days for DCA, caution is advised.

Wikipedia: Dichloroacetic Acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloroacetic_acid
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
Christine MH-UK

Official website is at the U of Alberta, not in Sonora

I can't help but notice that the Sonora, California address given for the dca site website is the same as for this website:

http://www.buydca.com/

which says that it is only selling DCA to be used on pets, so I am suspicious of the whole thing.

The official DCA website of the researchers who will be testing DCA on cancer patients is at http://www.depmed.ualberta.ca/dca/ .

Under their FAQs, the University of Alberta researchers state the following:
"Can I find and use DCA on my own?
Absolutely not! This can actually be dangerous. For example, DCA can be found in stores selling chemicals to scientific laboratories. Often, DCA is sold in a form that is very acidic and if consumed could cause serious or catastrophic complications. Even for use in animals DCA often has to be processed with chemicals to correct its acidity etc. In addition, the dose in patients with cancer, or its interactions with other medications that cancer patients might be on, are completely unknown.

Often, patients with terminal cancer might feel they are in a desperate situation and might be “willing to try anything”. It needs to be remembered that the inappropriate use of these drugs might cause catastrophic complications and make the situation even worse. In addition, if complications occur, because this was not done under the supervision of a physician, this problem will not become known and other patients might be exposed to a risk that could have been prevented."

Personally, I think that the dcasite.com website is really pushing it. While the Canadian team may not have a full patent on DCA, I have heard that they have a use patent at least under consideration by the World Intellectual Property Organisation. The problem is that use patents are not seen as providing enough protection, so the researchers either have to tweak the compound and take out a patent (the more usual route) or find the money for trials themselves (unusual, but what they are doing). Right now they have only $100,000 raised and they need $1.5 million to get the ball rolling.

I am not sure how to feel about the DCA site. On the one hand, I think that many people are desperate and that DCA at least has some promise (unlike laetrile, which some desperate people still take even though it has potentially fatal side effects), that trials are a way off and 'animal grade' DCA is preferable to DCA of unknown quality. On the other hand, I worry that the existence of the site will distract the Alberta team from their work and, perhaps worse force them to get involved in legal wranglings, and that cancer patients may be hurt. All and all, I would say that I think the unofficial DCA sites are bad, but then again I don't have secondaries. What do other people think?

Also, there is a petition in the UK to have the government there fund DCA research. I have resisted because I figure that I would wait for the phase I/phase II trial results to come out. Instead I have sent some money off to Canada, although perhaps not enough since I was a bit off on the exchange rate. I am adopting the right strategy in terms of backing off on the petition? I figure that what I really want is the UK government to shell out for more phase I trials overall, not commit itself to a compound that might be proven ineffective by the end of the year. Any opinions, especially from the propellerheads, would be appreciated.

Last edited by Christine MH-UK; 03-19-2007 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: Original posting unclear
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
Lolly

I think clinical trials are the only way to prove effectivness. I don't know what I'd do if I were in a worse condition and felt desperate enough to "try anything", so I can't pass judgment on any one willing to take a risk on an unproven medication, at least unproven against cancer. I do think some of these websites touting unproven therapies are bordering on unethical practices.
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #5
heblaj01

There is no doubt that the results of the Alberta lab experiments are impressive. But as much impressive have been the observed side effects on patients treated for acidosis with DCA: severe temporary or pemanent neuropatic damage, death.

Now, it may be that these tragic side effects were partly the result of having to deal with debilitated patients suffering from the genetic defects associated with acidosis. But it looks like some twicking of the drug may have to be done to make it tolerable (unless the course of the treatment is going to be so fast & effective as to be too short to cause serious side effects).

Last edited by heblaj01; 03-19-2007 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: typo error
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
hutchibk

I don't know what to make of it all, but here is a link to a blog with some info about DCA. Read through the comments. For some it might make it clearer... for me it just got more confusing. It will be interesting to see where it goes, but for starters, I am curious about it being a carcinogen. Could be a lot more exploration is needed.

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/sho...or-cancer.html
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:47 AM   #7
Merridith

Because Dichloroacetate is already an approved medication for certain types of human metabolic disorders the doctors already know the maximum doses that can be given as well as potential side effects. From what I have read, the typical patient taking "normal" doses (not in combo with other meds) experiences little to no side effects. This is why, once enough money is raised, the doctors are hoping to start the clinical trials at a "Phase 1-2" stage immediately. The pure phase 1 stage isn't necessary because the dosage data already exists.

This is the reason that I posted this information.

As we all know, chemo certainly has side effects. And as for myself, I know if I thought that my options had run out and the end was visible, I would certainly be putting my hands on this medicine - even if it were only to give myself a bit of hope.

Since this medication is already approved for a different disorder, I believe that doctors can prescribe it off-protocol. How many would is a different question - but certainly a few would.

There is no reason to take the stuff that has been rendered for animals or take ridiculous doses that are likely to cause side effects. The website clearly indicates that there is only indirect proof through animal studies - which often don't translate to humans - that it will work. This is definately a crap-shoot.

My rational for taking it would be the same reason for volunteering to take an experimental vaccine. Both offer a ray of hope - and even if they were to do absolutely nothing to aide me - they are not that dangerous to take and they offer a potential upside versus a definate downside. I would be prepared to take my chances.

Each person on this walk has to make their own choices. Some with food changes, some seek alternative medicine, others meditate or do lifestyle changes. Me? I'm the kind of person that would roll the dice.
Merridith is offline   Reply With Quote