HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
Grace

Any news on Mayo vaccine?

I forgot that I mentioned the following vaccine trial to a friend, who has a son-in-law affiliated with Mayo. Today, she told me he is trying to find out if I can participate. I forgot all about it, but in rereading it sounds promising. A big trip for me, from Maine to Minnesota, though. Does anyone out there know any more about this trial; is anyone on the board participating. Any news would be appreciated.

Vaccine May Help Fight Breast Cancer

Mice Experiments Show Vaccine Reduces Tumor Growth
By Charlene Laino <http: www.webmd.com="" charlene-laino=""></http:>
WebMD Medical News
Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD <http: www.webmd.com="" louise-chang=""></http:>

April 18, 2007 (Los Angeles) -- Researchers have developed a new vaccine that stimulates the immune system to seek out and destroy breast cancer cells.

In early experiments, the vaccine curbed or stopped the growth of breast tumors in all of the mice studied.

Researcher Pilar Nava-Parada, MD, PhD, of the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., says some of the mice were essentially cured.

The research was presented at the annual meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research.

How the Vaccine Works

Unlike flu and many other vaccines, most cancer vaccines under development are not intended to be given to healthy people to prevent disease. Rather, they help sick patients bolster their immune system to better fight the cancer.

In this case, the goal is to re-educate the immune system to recognize breast cancer cells as foreign invaders that need to be attacked and annihilated, Nava-Parada tells WebMD.

Usually, breast cancer cells fly under the radar of the immune system, evading the body's surveillance mechanisms, she explains.

To overcome that obstacle, the injectable vaccine uses a bacteria-type substance that is altered to contain the gene HER2/neu, which is associated with extremely aggressive breast tumors, as well as antibodies that jack up the immune system.

The body launches an immediate response to the bacteria, and revved-up immune cells go on the offensive, patrolling the body and attacking and wiping out cells that contain HER2/neu.

"Any cell that expressed HER2/neu in high amounts is killed," Nava-Parada says.

Immune-Boosting Vaccine a Promising Approach

Ronald A. DePinho*,* MD, professor of medicine and genetics at Harvard Medical School and chairman of the committee that chose which studies to highlight at the meeting, says that similar approaches show promise in people with pancreatic and skin cancers.

"As cancer develops, the immune system finds a way to sequester itself. The idea with all these studies is to jack up the immune system so it will recognize cancer cells as foreign," he tells WebMD. "It's a very promising approach."

Nava-Parada cautions that a lot more study is needed before the vaccine is ready for prime time. If it does pan out, she says, it would only work for women whose breast cancers overexpress HER2/neu -- about 15% to 25% of breast cancers, according to the American Cancer Society.

SOURCES: Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research, Los Angeles, April 14-18, 2007. Pilar Nava-Parada, MD, PhD, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Ronald A. DePinho, MD, professor of medicine and genetics, Harvard Medical School; chairman, AACR program committee.

© 2007 WebMD, Inc. All rights reserved.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
hutchibk

Thanks for the info Grace. Shouldn't you be writing? LOL. I will stay on you like gum on a shoe...

I have been wondering about vaccines recently. Seems the vaccine world has been a little quiet the last couple of months. Was there any new info about vaccines at ASCO?

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:09 PM   #3
Grace

Brenda,

I don't mind the push. I welcome it in fact, but I've been reworking something in my mind for nearly a week now and I've just got it straightened out today.

I posted something about a vaccine trial in Pennsylvania a few months ago, that I was eligible for (believe it was an off shoot of the Walter Reed trial). I spoke to my oncologist and although he encouraged me to do what I wanted, he said none of the current vaccines had showed any real promise, so I decided against.

The one at Mayo seems to be different from others, but I have no expertise in the matter. I asked my oldest friend if her son-in-law could do something. When she told me today he was working on it, I had no idea what she was talking about and had to find my original email to prove to myself she was right. That is an example of chemo brain (or blood vessel disease) that I don't need. Even my husband remembered the trial!

However, I did write to say that if he can get me in Phase II, I'd be delighted. So I will keep the board aware of this vaccine if it comes off and also if I hear of any requirements, so others can also take advantage if possible.

Do we have any vaccine experts on the board?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
Adriana Mangus

Thumbs up VAccine

Dear Grace: I heard some time ago about this vaccine. Thanks for the posting. Keep us updated, please. Sounds promising.
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote