HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-16-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
Erin

Tamox and Chemobrain

Hello Ladies,

I have not posted in a while, but have been "lurking" and reading other's posts, and I have a new question for you all :-)

I have finished chemo, done two of my seven weeks of radiation, and my onc, OBGyn and I are discussing hormonal therapy which will start after rads are finished.

I have had a really hard time with chemobrain problems. Can't focus, have difficulty with recall, and lots of difficulty with complex thinking. It really bothers me at work, where I have always been the go-to person in my field. My bosses are being great, and I have put lots of safegards in place to ensure that I won't make some hugh blunders, but nonetheless, it's a problem and I hate it. It is like someone stole my brain (LOL).

Recently there was a post about tamox and chemobrain type of problems that caught my eye. Here is the question.... I have to decide whether to take the tamox for 1 to 2 years while waiting to see if I am truly in memopause (I was premenopausal at dx), or have an ooph or hysterectomy and go straight to the AI's. I am not adverse to going right to the surgery and AI's. I am wondering if anyone has an opinion about the effects of tamox vs AI's on cognitive function?

As always, thanks for your help :-)
SNB 3 nodes clear
Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+++ (FISH 6.8)
ER + / PR +
TCH, 6 rounds, finished 6/1/07!!!
Herceptin to continue for 1 year
36 rads finished 8/22/07
Port out 8/27/07
Switched to Herceptin weekly for joint pain
Ooph 11/13/07
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
Becky

The jury is out on what "chemo" brain really is. Is it really lack of estrogen (since estrogen does decrease since most women do stop their menses during chemo). It is a fact that "chemo" brain happens to many women during menopause (cancer or not). So, I think lack of estrogen is certainly a much bigger contributor than we think.

That said, tamoxifen can either help or fuel these symptoms. An ooph (or natural menopause) with an AI certainly won't help.

I will say however, I had the big symptom of "not being able to find the right word" and other tasks that were simple. This got alittle better after Herceptin was completed (and I did get an ooph to go right to an AI). Either the end of Herceptin treatment or just adjusting to the no/low estrogen state helped. I am feeling more and more like my old self (even though it is almost 3 years now) and factually, I am also 3 years older too (but am still feeling pretty normal).

Have your onc or gyne run your LH, FSH and estradiol to see where you are at. Lupron or zoladex injections with an AI can be a much better alternative (treatment wise) than tamoxifen.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
Gerri

Hi Erin,

I have been on Tamoxifen for a little over a year but am struggling with making a decision of whether to stay on it until I am in menopause (I'm 53 and still premenopausal) or go for the injections to shut down my ovaries and switch to an AI. My concern is not regarding chemo brain (although I do have it to a slight degree), but whether or not Tamoxifen is effective in HER2+ bc after Herceptin is finished. The post by Lani
"here we go again: How inexact ER status testing is!!!" has several links from others to research papers regarding tamoxifen resistance. I have printed out several of them and plan to present them to my onc in Sept. You may want to take a look and see if you would like to do the same. My onc didn't feel there was enough solid data out there supporting this but I am still going to bring these studies to her attention to see if she changes her mind. She is leaving the decision up to me but I want to make sure I have enough info to support my decision.

Would love to hear what your onc has to say. Please keep me posted.

Thanks,

ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
TSund

Hi Erin,

Ruth is a few months behind you in treatment but will have to make similar choices.

P.S. Re: chemobrain. Does fish oil help? When I started complaining of peri-menopausal "thinking" symptoms my GP suggested taking a regular dose.

TRS
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
bobbiw

Hi Ladies
Just wanted to share my experience. I finished Herceptin in June (after one year of weekly injections) and was switched from Tamox to Arimidex in June (due to full menopause). Once the 'fog' of the AC wore off (have been done with AC since March I think) my husband noticed that I continued to have difficulties remembering things etc. Rather than getting better it has actually gotten worse. I had extensive testing done (neuro pshyc testing for memory etc) and it showed definite impairments in memory, the ability to learn and concentration. I also can look right at something and not see it. To me it is like I have ADD and a brain injury all rolled into one (and mild Alzheimers!!!). I used to be an avid reader but no longer read because I cant concentrate long enough and cannot remember what it is I have just read.
My neurologist tested for any other reasons and there doesnt seem to be any (thank goodness!). He feels as if it is from the chemo and says he has seen it before. He is not sure if it will get better, level off or become worse.
Having said all of that, I would still do the same treatment over again because after all I am here to tell the tale. My only wish is that oncologists would recognize this as a symptom rather than making you feel as if you are crazy, or 'just getting older' etc.
Bobbi
IDC Grade 3 of 3
Tumor 2 cm margins clear
HER-2/neu 3+++
Er Pr +
Began chemo/AC every 3 weeks 12-6-05 followed by Taxol and weekly Hercpetin (Herceptin through June 2007)
Right prophlyactic mastectomy June 2006 with expanders. Due to have exchange surgery sometime end of May 2007.
Exchange surgery completed June 2007 with saline implants and nipples. Darned left implant is lopsided to the left due to the wrongly formed pocket and my wrongly formed chest wall!
Switched from Tamoxifen to Armidex in May due to menopause.
bobbiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:32 AM   #6
suzan w

Wink

'chemo brain' seems to be getting better as time goes on! I still have trouble at times finding the right word...very frustrating. I still have a great deal of trouble doing simple math and seem to have become very dyslexic. Yet, when I think back to a year ago, it has improved vastly!!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:18 AM   #7
TSund

Is there any speculation as to whether the AC or the Taxanes cause worse chemo-brain?

Terri
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:12 AM   #8
Smiley

chemo brain

I also suffered from chemo brain while undergoing treatment. It is much better now but I have found that I don't remember a lot of what happened during that time! Most things come back when someone reminds me. The only advantage is when I have an hour to do nothing I can sit down and watch a tv show (a rerun I saw last year) as if it were new. Hopefully yours will improve with time too.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
Erin

Very Funny Smiley...as they say "no brains, no headache!"

LOL!
SNB 3 nodes clear
Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+++ (FISH 6.8)
ER + / PR +
TCH, 6 rounds, finished 6/1/07!!!
Herceptin to continue for 1 year
36 rads finished 8/22/07
Port out 8/27/07