HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-29-2006, 01:54 PM   #21
LovingDaughter

I shaved my mom's head on Thursday night right before her second treatment. She was afraid to have it fall out and decided she wanted to take control over the situation. I felt like I was going to faint when I cut off the first few pieces, but it was all down hill after that! We actually made a party out of it!

I bought my mom new summer clothes for the occasion and big, beautiful earrings. Look good feel better recommends wearing big earrings when you lose your hair because it makes you feel better. I would highly recommend going to the program in July! I went with my mom, and we had a blast! The makeup they give you is amazing. It's also fun to sit around with other women in your situation and talk with them.

My mom is beautiful without hair! I am so proud of her--she looks so strong!

We're going wig shopping again next weekend. I can't wait.

Rina--I hope you make a party out of it in your own way too! I am sure that you will be absolutely beautiful without hair!
Old 05-29-2006, 03:19 PM   #22
rinaina

Dear LovingDaughter,

Your mom is so fortunate to have a loving caring daughter such as you. I am blessed with a wonderful daughter as well and thank G-d everyday for this. I love all of your suggestions and especially the one of making a party out of shaving your mom's hair. My stylist has offered her services and will do it in the privacy of my own home for me so I think I will take her up on her gracious offer. I look forward to the Look Good Feel Good Program, I just wish that it was sooner than mid July. My daughter will accompany me. I guess we just missed the last one. I heard the make up you get is amazing. Can you share with me what you got? Hope your mom is hanging in. We have very similar cases. I am er/pr negative her2+++ grade 3 stage 1, my nodes were negative and margins were clean, tumor was 1.4 cm. Best of luck to her. Just noticed a change in the health of my nails this afternoon. This after just one treatment.
Rina
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:52 PM   #23
LovingDaughter

We probably got at least twenty products. Most were made by the leaders in the industry--Clinique, Lancomb, Estee Lauder, Mary Kay, Aveda etc. She got SPF 25 sunscreen (because you're highly susceptible to getting a sunburn when you are on chemo), several different types of powder (some women develop darker patches around their eyes), eye liner, very strong moisturizing cream, several different shades of lipstick, eye shadow, Q-tips and blush. The whole concept is that if you feel like you look good, you'll feel better. It's really neat!

I love reading all of your posts too! I look forward to hearing from you more as you get further along on your journey!
Old 05-30-2006, 06:46 AM   #24
tousled1

When I started chemo I went and bought a wig. I must admit though I only wore it 3 times! I much pefer hats. It's so much easier to just throw on a hat and go. I have quite a selection of hats in all colors and styles. I finished 4 rounds of A/C and 4 round of Taxatore and now my hair is growing back -- very slowly -- have a lot of "peach fuzz" on my head. Can't wait to see what color it comes back.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:47 AM   #25
rinaina

Happy you have finished your treatments and your hair is growing back. Look forward to that day. I hope I will feel comfortable with just hats because I can't see how it will be comfortable in the summer wearing those wigs even if they are very light weight in construction and have a very thin lacy underlying lining that is incredible. Just don't know if I am too vain though. Have to admit, I care a lot about how I look and will care even more I think once my hair is gone unfortunately. I know it sounds shallow but I want to look even better because of the cancer. I know I should be happy to be alive and believe me I am and I will fight this cancer forever if I have to but I will always care how I look I think unless I am just too sick to care which I pray never happens. Sorry if I offended anyone with my vanity.

Rina
AC 4 dense doses
Old 05-30-2006, 10:43 AM   #26
MJo

I wore a knitted cap at night. I got it from the Wellness Community, which has a hat rack with caps that people donate. During the day when it was cold, I wore hats. Then it got warm and I stopped wearing hats. I am being militant, but I don't think I should be embarrassed about not having hair (It's growing back now, but I look like I have a buzz cut). Also, there are so many survivors now that I think we should go public so that society gets used to seeing bald women walking around. But that's just my soapbox. I didn't have the nerve to go bald until my head started sweating and I was uncomfortable. I see it as a teaching opportunity. I wear my pink ribbon pin and my pink bracelet so that people who wonder about my head might get the answer if they don't want to ask. Twice women have come up to me and shared their BC survivor stories. I liked that.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:31 PM   #27
Sonja

Question

Rina, when I shaved my head I slept with a cotton cap the first two nights, after that forget it, I have hot flashes so the cap is gone!

Tomorrow morning I will be going to the Look Good, Feel Better workshop. Has anyone else been to this workshop?
Old 05-30-2006, 02:16 PM   #28
rinaina

Guess I just missed the most recent Look Good Feel Good Program here and the next one, which I will go to, is in mid July. My daughter said she wants to go with me, should be fun. Heard you get great free cosmetics, creams etc. Enjoy!
AC 4 dense doses
Old 05-30-2006, 02:29 PM   #29
Sonja

Smile

Rina, I first booked the workshop last month in the hospital where I have my chemo treatments and I was scheduled for July 4th! In French to boot!

I have a friend that works at another hospital and asked her to find out if they gave the Look Good Feel Better workshop. They do so 2 weeks ago I called and they told me they had room on May 31st! In English!!!!!

The French workshop is given every Tuesday to 12 women.
The English workshop is given ONCE A MONTH to 10 women!

Figure that one out!
Old 05-30-2006, 02:39 PM   #30
rinaina

maybe i will call myself to see if there is another one, the onc nurse called for me but i have the book and the number so i will call. thanks
AC 4 dense doses
Old 05-30-2006, 07:12 PM   #31
Demack

When I was first diagnosed in 1999 I went out before I started chemo and had my hair cut short and bought a wig. Within 2 wks. of starting chemo. I started to loose my hair. When it started coming out in large amounts my husband shaved my head for me. I wore my wig a couple of times but decided it was more comfortable to just wear scarves and hats. My sisters had fun finding me interesting hats. I recovered and my hair was thicker than before. In 2004 I moved out of state and got rid of my wig after holding on to it for 5 years. I was diagnosed with a met to the Liver in Sept. 2005. Had 3 rounds of Abraxine, Carboplatin (every 3 wks.) and Herceptin (weekly), Surgery and then 3 more rounds of same with Herceptin every week. This time I just wore the scarves and hats. They are much more comfortable. I wore a scarf or knit cap at night because my head was cold. It would sometimes give me a headache. I am on weekly Herceptin now and my hair is about 1/2 inch long now. I just wear a baseball cap or scarf when I go out to protect my scalp. I am receiving Herceptin weekly at present.
Debbie
Demack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:51 AM   #32
rinaina

It seems so many of us her2neu+ patients have reoccurences. Can I get feedback as to just how many of you have had reoccurences? It's not that I don't know this happens a lot, I am just curious how much.
AC 4 dense doses