HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Profiles In Courage
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2003, 10:21 AM   #1
Mary Crawford-Tierrasanta in San

I am 53 and was diagnosed with stage IV infiltrating lobular carcinoma pleomorphic type in January. My first indication should have been last September when I went to the doctor because I could not raise my left arm due to a swollen lymph gland. She told me to ignore it and that it would go away(big mistake). In January I awoke one morning to find my left breast almost twice normal size. This time she insisted that I get a mamogram before she would see me. I tried to impress upon her just how painful it was without the squeezing but she would not budge. I should have talked to another doctor but I scheduled the mamogram. The equipment wasn't working properly that day and they had to do it about ten times. Every time she told me to hold my breath I told her I had no choice. The person reading it said that it showed nothing wrong and to come back in six months but the person doing the mamogram said that I should see a doctor immediately. They told me that they could see me in a week but I insisted so off I went to see the nurse practioner. She took one look at me and went off to get the nurse who called in the head of the practice who then wanted to know who had me get a mamogram in that condition. He tried to get an MRI the next day but his staff didn't even call and schedule until 4:00 the next day after I called four times. Actually had it about a week later.
Before I got the results I went to get a needle biopsy. I went by myself because I did not expect a diagnosis. He examined me and said that he could do the needle biopsy for me but that it was obvious that I had cancer and could someone come to be with me. That did not seem practical. I made it all the way to our house and took the turn into the driveway too sharp and hit the bumper of the car parked next to the drive ruining the back door of my husband's prized car. Luckily for me he does love me more than the car. I got the same surgeon for my biopsy. He told me he was going to cut in one place but changed his mind once I was out and chose a different spot. Then as I was waking up on the table he came over and told me that I would no longer have the pleasure of his services since my cancer was way too advanced for surgery. My internest called me in to tell me that it was stage IV and to enjoy all of the time that I had left. His nurse called the next day to tell me just in case I hadn't heard that it was stage IV and to enjoy every day that I had. STRESS. I have done dog rescue for many years and the only thing that occupied every waking moment was who was going to take care of the poor abused dogs that I currently have. Then the answer came - I am!! By the time I went to meet the oncologist I was ready for battle and told my husband on the way that I did not care how bad the news was I was going to make it. I did eight courses of Taxotere and was never sick a day. I was tired for a couple days each time lost my hair got neuropathy stomatitis and a couple of symptoms unique to me but I did not get the pink spots and my nails did not turn brown. The entire time I continued to rescue dogs although I did need help with some of their meds on those days when it was hard to get out of bed. My husband is irreplaceable. On our 31st wedding anniversary some of my friends from the vet's office asked me what we were going to do. I said we would probably just run by Rubio's. They got there hours before we did and decorated a reserved section with table cloth flowers candles and balloons. One was dressed at a waitress and opened the door and told us that our table was ready. I laughed so much I could barely stand. They even took pictures so I can always show others the best anniversary. Any suggestions on how to repay or get back at friends like this? They also snuck over one day and decorated our entire yard with butterfly and bird stakes. Every MRI has shown improvement particularly in the bones. My optimism shows no bounds. Recently saw my internest. He complimented me about how good I looked and proceeded to treat me like I was looking through rose colored glasses and said that he will still be surprised if I am around in 5 years. Well he is going to find out just how stubborn I am! We never had any children but these little four legged ones depend on us. I will be right here for them. I am still on Herceptin but now only every three weeks. My suggestion is that this board should have spell check and check for continuity for chemo-meno brains like mine. Since it does not please ignore all errors.