HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Breast Cancer Meeting Highlights
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Breast Cancer Meeting Highlights News fro recent ASCO and San Antonio Meetings

Old 12-14-2007, 06:57 AM   #1
tousled1

Shorter Radiation Breast Cancer treatment

Dec. 13, 2007 (San Antonio) -- A more convenient three-week course of radiation works just as well as the five-week schedule that is typically given to women after breast-conserving surgery for breast cancer, researchers report.
In a study of more than 1,000 women, only 6.2% of those who got the short course of radiation had cancer recur in the same breast over the next 10 years, compared with 6.7% of those who got the conventional five weeks of radiation. The difference was so small, however, that it could have been due to chance.
There was also no difference between the two groups in terms of survival, with 84% of those in both groups alive at 10 years, says researcher Timothy Whelan, MD, of the Hamilton Regional Cancer Center in Ontario, Canada.
The two schedules were also associated with a similar, low rate of skin reactions and other side effects, Whelan says.
Shorter Course More Convenient

Whelan says there's been a lot of interest in trying to shorten the course of radiation due to convenience and lower cost, but that long-term effects have been a concern.
He tells WebMD that he hopes the 10-year study will alleviate the concerns and encourage more U.S. doctors to offer women the short course.
"There are important advantages to women who want to be treated in a shorter period of time," Whelan says.
Phillip Devlin, MD, assistant professor of radiation oncology at Harvard Medical School, says he already offers the short course to women who, for reasons of travel or cost, can't get five weeks of treatment.
"I think we'll continue to see its use pick up," he tells WebMD. "In addition to shorter duration of treatment time, it means lower costs and less time out from work and family."
The study, presented at the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, involved 1,234 women who had undergone breast-conserving surgery. They were randomly assigned to either three weeks or five weeks of radiation therapy
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
kcherub

Angry

Ooooo, I told my husband just yesterday that I was going to be so BUMMED (okay, I said "pissed") if anything came out that related to a shorter course/less area coverage on radiation!!! I have four more to go, and had asked over and over if there wasn't anything shorter or less time-consuming for me! ARGHHH!!!

Hugs!
ER/PR 90%+ HER2 +
6 TCH started 5/25/2007, ended after #5 due to steroid "reactions" and neuropathy in feet and hands
BUT--#6 CH w/o Taxotere
Begin Herceptin alone 9/28/2007
30 rads completed 12/19/2007
Finish Herceptin 5/9/2008
Stopped Tamoxifen early--HATED it.
Married 17 years
13-year old son
3 embies on ice (from 1999)
GA, USA

kcherub is offline   Reply With Quote