HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
tricia keegan

Question Condroitin/Glucosamine for Arimidex neuropathy??

Hello everyone
I began taking this supplement about two weeks ago mainly for stiffness and joint pain but my Onc seemed to think it may also help the neuropathy in my hands which I had during taxol but has become a lot worse since taking Arimidex last Serptember.
I'm just wondering if anyone has had good results from this as I know it's early days yet but if anything I think this may be making my symptoms worse rather than better if thats possible!
I also have to begin Fosamax for some bone loss in the next few days and am concerned now if I'll have even more side effects to contend with!!
Thanks for any advice
Tricia
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
atdec05

I am taking that supplement, but not taking Arimidex, so can't tell you about the interaction. I experienced joint pain on Herceptin. You have to take it for a few weeks to notice anything, but I definitely move better. I use to hobble out of bed in the morning, and no longer do that.

You should check with your onc. to see if s/he is aware of any reason you shouldn't take it. I know women on Taxol take it as well.

- Anna

Stage I - DX 9/2005
ER/PR-, HER2+, grade 3, DCIS, IDC multi-focal (1.05cm)
DD 4 A/C finished Jan 31, 2006
Herceptin weekly finished Jan 31, 2007
recurrence to chest wall on last month of Herceptin
Stage 3B - 3/15/07 - 2 carcinomas in dermal lymphatic
Rads finished 6/5/07
12x TH finished 9/10/07
12/07 - Clear scan!
3/08 - 4 month Melatonin trial
1/09 - osteoperosis -
start Alendronate
2/09 - 4-month Simivastin trial
3/13 - take drug holiday after 5 years of Alendronate
atdec05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
sassy

Tricia,

I have taken Glucosamine/Condroitin from the beginning of treatment, so I can't really say how much it has helped--I have no frame of reference without it. It seems that everything A/C, Nuelasta, Taxol, Herceptin, Arimidex and Fosamax can cause joint pain or stiffness. I think the Arimidex has caused the most. On the positive side, it does seem to get better over time.

As for neuropathy from Taxol, B6 seems to help and that too will abate over time.

I found the Fosamax the most objectionable of all to me. Just did not tolerate it well. Fortunately, I was able to switch to Zometa after showing osteopenia. Although zometa was tough, with flu like symptoms for a day or so after treatment, right now I only have to take it once a year and that beats the weekly Fosamax.

Although after two years, I'm still not back to my "OLD" self, my new self is still here and kicking--working toward getting back better strength and stamina.

Best wishes to you and hope things get better.
________
Wong Amat Tower Condominium Pattaya

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 09:11 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
panicked911

Hi:

I stated glucosimine/condroitan about three quaters of the way thru my year of herceptain,. I was also on arimidex and lupron when I started - the aches and stiffness did not abate until 2 months after I stopped herceptain. I am better today but not back to where i was - the lupron and arimdex will be a part of me for at least the next 3.5 years and so will the glucosimine - I am afraid to stop it .

Susanne
panicked911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
suzan w

I have taken glucosamine/chondroitin for years and honestly cannot say whether it has made a difference or not! I had severe joint pain when I started herceptin and arimidex-started both at same time so can't say which one really caused the pain! However...I am now 5 months out from my last herceptin, still on arimidex...and the joint pain has lessened considerably. I also have osteoporosis and have been taking Fosomax for years...when I first started it I noticed flu-like symptoms so my doc. switched me to Actonel. Then after the breast cancer diagnosis-I went back to Fosomax because of arimidex's effects on bones...and my onc. felt that Fosomax was a little more potent than Actonel...
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
tricia keegan

Thank you all:)

I was very interested in all the replies to this and think maybe I just have'nt given it long enough to work as I've only been taking it a couple of weeks.
I will try the B6 too (I'll try anything right now!)
It does seem as though we've all been left with these side effects though from chemo/herceptin/Arimidex and maybe I was being naive thinking I'd be back to my old self one of these days!!
Anyway this I can live with and it's far preferable to the alternative of a possible recurrance.
Thanks again ladies
Tricia
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
Old 03-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
newgg

Also take the supplement gluco/cond and have for several years. Started it for arthritis in my thumbs. Do think it has helped with all the "stuff" that I have taken to fight the beast. ( do any of the meds not cause joint discomfort?) Did not have as much difficulty with neuropathy as some others have had. Did run out of the gluco/ Cond once on a trip.....ugh! Could feel the difference in my thumbs and hips in just a few days. Have made sure NOT to do that since. May have to get some B 6 next. Old self may be gone but the new self is great and having a bunch of fun!! Gonna crank up the motor home and off to Suwanneefest for some music, music and more music !
Hugs, Bonnie
newgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
tricia keegan

Thanks Bonnie:)

Sounds like you're having fun and enjoying life!
You've just convinced me to keep trying with these supplements
and hopefully they'll help me as they have you.
Thanks again and you go girl!!!!
Tricia
2014 Normal Dexa scan
Old 03-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #9
newgg

Gone !

Yes, Tricia...
I am almost rolling.....got to pack that motor home and be sure......be very sure.......I have all those great chemicals !
Movin' On !
Bonnie
newgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #10
CLTann

Please take note that I had aches like you when on Arimidex. Since switching to Femara, the joint aches are gone. I know both drugs are of the similar chemical structure, there are subtle differences that may give us different side effects. You might want to consider switching first.

I have sciatic nerve pain now but the MRI shows that the sciatic nerve pain is from perineutral cysts, which are totally unrelated to breast cancer and the medications. My other MRI and bone scans are all clear last week.

Stage 1 dx Sept 05
ER/PR positive HER2 +++ Grade 3
Invasive carcinoma 1 cm, no node involvement
Mastec Sept 05
Annual scans all negative, Oct 06
Postmenopause. Arimidex only since Sept 06, bone or muscle ache after 3 month
Off Arimidex, change to Femara 1/12-07, ache stopped
Sept 07 all tests negative, pass 2 year mark
Feb 08 continue doing well.
Sep 09 four year NED still on Femara.
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote