HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2008, 05:14 AM   #1
sarah

relief for xeloda side effects

Hello,
Read this in my favorite newspaper and thought it might interest and hopefully help those having side effects with Xeloda.

Want a zillion-dollar cure idea?
By Monique Doyle Spencer

Friday, August 15, 2008
How do people get a good idea noticed? It's not so easy.
It was a 23-year-old medical student, Ernest Duchesne, who discovered penicillin 32 years before Alexander Fleming. But who listens to a kid? So the idea went nowhere, and Duchesne, due to God's really immature love of irony, died of tuberculosis. So did a lot of other people.
So now I know something that I need to tell the world. There is a new study from a university in Turkey about a treatment for a painful chemotherapy side effect. The side effect is from a chemotherapy drug for metastatic, or in medical terms "not so great," breast and colon cancer. The drug is Xeloda (capecitabine). It's a good drug, but for some reason, it can burn the daylights out of your feet and hands. Your response comes in Grades 1, 2 or 3. In Grade 3, you can't walk. Your feet are covered with blisters, and it's like walking on some evil form of bubble wrap.
There is no proven treatment for this side effect except this: to lower the dose or stop or delay treatment. These are not great options.
I don't do a lot of cancer research, but my husband does. He found the study on www.springerlink.com. Researchers tested a simple treatment, long used by desert dwellers to cool the skin. It's pure henna powder, mixed with lemon juice and hot water.
I was desperate with Grade 3. I tried every cream and vitamin idea that anybody had. Nothing worked. I spent a week lying down for relief. Please don't tell my employer, because apparently nobody noticed I wasn't there.
I'm no New Ager, I don't own a single Enya CD, and I was skeptical. I asked my oncologist. He was all for it. I tried the henna. You make a paste out of green powder, even though it's going to dye your skin saffron. You leave it on for six hours. I just knew it would not work.
Holy Mother of God. The fire is out. My feet feel ... normal. Now the creams can work, to heal the damage to the skin, because the big flame is put out. No blisters. No raw skin. No heat.
I couldn't wait to notify Roche Pharmaceuticals, which makes Xeloda. The company had no information about this on its Web site, so I knew it would jump right on it. I figured Roche would contact these guys in Turkey, fund a bigger study, then develop its own zillion-dollar version of henna. I don't care what it does, as long as it does something.
Roche wrote back. It told me to read its Web site to be informed about possible side effects of Xeloda. While I admit that I was just a teensy bit annoyed, I actually did look at it for the umpteenth time. Well, I noticed a new thing, besides that it offers no cure for this side effect: that the photos it shows of it are about one-tenth as bad as the real thing.
Here's the best part: Roche signed its response: "Thank you for your interest in Xeloda. We wish you and your mother the best of health." Yikes. Mom died in 1988. What are they trying to tell me?
Of course, the problem with natural remedies is that you can't patent them, so you can't make any money. Still, I bet a company could extract the active ingredient from henna, make an ointment for pennies, and turn around and sell it for dollars, but I'm not a scientist. I'm just thinking that since Xeloda costs $1,500 every three weeks, and you take it for life, maybe a pharmaceutical company could fund a study.
Whether there's a windfall in it or not, I think if you make a great product, and it happens to cause an awful side effect, maybe you could be a little interested in a treatment. I picture Ernest Duchesne writing to them about penicillin. "We are sorry to hear of your death as we care about our patients. Please see our Web site for helpful information and tips about tuberculosis."
Monique Doyle Spencer is author of "The Courage Muscle: A Chicken's Guide to Living With Breast Cancer."
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:41 AM   #2
Kim in DC

Does anybody know where you can get henna?

Kim
er/pr-, her2neu+++
8/19 taxotere and herceptin
1/15/2005 Navelbine/Herceptin
4/2005 radiation and Herceptin
5/15/2005 Herceptin alone
2/12/2008 skin biopsy positive
2/14/2008 met to sternum, possibly right breast
2/27/08 Start omitarg, herceptin, taxotere trial
3/17/08 Kicked off trial because I started too close to my last herceptin
3/19 start tykerb xeloda
Right breast confirmed met
5/15/08 skin mets gone, no hypermetabolic activity in breast, sternum healing
8/24/08 scans still look good. sternum still active with scarring. No evidence of progression
10/08 Progression in sternum
12/08 Start TDM1 trial
1/09 Scans show stable
12/09 1 year on TDM1 still stable
10/10 progression in chest and liver
11/10 false positive of liver mets; tykerb and herceptin
4/11 Tykerb/Herceptin/Xgeva
4/11 Rads to Sternum
5/12/12 NED Herceptin/Zometa
3/16/19 still NED Herceptin/Zometa very 6months
Kim in DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:55 AM   #3
trixkit

My wife tried this and it didn't work for her, she picked up the Henna at a health food store.
trixkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Rich66

There is some suggestion from people on the web that the source of the henna may influence efficacy.

from the author:
Here's the quick version:

Buy henna, preferably Jamali. Start with maybe a 50 gram box. In the US I recommend castleart.com. However, a site in Canada is giving a free sample of Jamali to anyone who sends an e-mail saying they have HFS. The address is hennasooq@gmail.com.

How to mix it
Bring a quarter of a cup of water to a boil. Take it off the heat and Mix in the henna powder until it is like cream of tomato soup. You’ll probably use 1/8 of a cup. Add a squirt of lemon juice.

I use a foam paint brush to apply it. I apply a thin layer to my barefeet. It takes maybe 15 minutes to dry. I then put socks on and leave it, but you can also rinse it off.

Henna stains, so I put a plastic bag and a towel down while it’s drying.

You can do this every few nights, or more often if you need it.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
Rich66

Minimize Chemotherapy-Induced Hand-Foot Syndrome

Allison Gandey
August 9, 2007 — Palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia, also called hand-foot syndrome or hand-to-foot syndrome, is an uncomfortable and relatively frequent dermatologic toxic reaction to certain chemotherapeutic agents, and it remains poorly understood. Working to elucidate the problem, experts reporting in a review in the July issue of the Annals of Oncology discuss the challenges of managing this unfortunate adverse event.
"Palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia typically presents with dysesthesia and tingling in the hands and feet, which usually appear 2 to 12 days after administration of chemotherapy," note the authors led by Domenica Lorusso, MD, from the department of oncology at Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, in Campobasso, Italy. "These symptoms may progress 3 to 4 days later into symmetrical edema and erythema of the palms and soles."
Erythematous plaques with violaceous and edematous patches in the palms, soles, and other high-pressure areas are usually mild and resolve in a week or 2. The problem may, however, evolve into blistering desquamation, crusting, ulceration, and epidermal necrosis if the next chemotherapy cycle is not delayed or the dose reduced. The reviewers point out that palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia is often uncomfortable and can interfere with the ability to carry out normal activities.
Commenting on the review in an e-letter to the journal (Jaber R et al. Ann Oncol. 2007; published online April 11, 2007), Raja Jaber, MD, and colleagues from Stony Brook University Hospital, in New York, called the work "outstanding," and they report having read it with great interest. "As summarized by the Lorusso review, the only treatments so far are anecdotal and rely on topical agents with unclear benefits. Typically, the patients end up receiving a lowered dosage or have their treatments delayed." They emphasize that while dose reduction and schedule lengthening may decrease the incidence and ameliorate symptoms of hand-foot syndrome, there are no studies demonstrating that these altered schedules are equally effective in treating patients with metastatic breast cancer.
Dr. Lorusso and colleagues report the incidence of hand-foot syndrome is increased in patients receiving pegylated liposomal doxorubicin compared with conventional doxorubicin. The new drug is a long-circulating formulation in which doxorubicin hydrochloride is encapsulated within pegylated liposomes. It is approved to treat patients with metastatic breast cancer, advanced ovarian cancer, and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome–related Kaposi's sarcoma.
In studies that utilized the currently approved dose of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin of 50 mg/m2 every 4 weeks, the reviewers suggest that about 50% of patients receiving the product developed hand-foot syndrome and roughly 20% experienced grade 3 symptoms.
The researchers note that studies evaluating the development of hand-foot syndrome specifically associated with new-formulation doxorubicin have not fully identified the mechanism; however, data support the roles of drug excretion in sweat and local pressure as contributors.
Debilitating Complication of Cancer Therapy
"Palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia is a debilitating complication of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin that can lead to delay, reduction, or discontinuation of chemotherapy," Dr. Jaber and colleagues write in their letter. "In addition, it will be an increasing problem due to a high incidence associated with new biologic multikinase inhibitors such as sorafenib and sunitinib."
The authors report on a case of liposomal doxorubicin–related persistent grade 3 hand-foot syndrome, refractory to the reported treatments, that responded dramatically to a short course of systemic treatment with oral prednisone.
"We propose oral prednisone as a safe treatment modality worth trying if palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia occurs despite preventive dosages of dexamethasone, pyridoxine, and cooling of extremities," suggest the team from Stony Brook University Hospital. "Definite conclusions as to the efficacy of oral prednisone in the treatment of palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia will require formal controlled clinical trials," they add.
In the meantime, Dr. Lorusso and colleagues emphasize the importance of patient education for early detection of hand-foot syndrome to minimize discomfort and complications. "At each visit, the patient should be carefully asked about signs and symptoms following the last dose," they explain.
Several pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic treatments have been used to prevent hand-foot syndrome. Nonpharmacologic interventions include avoiding undue pressure or rubbing of the skin and avoiding blood vessel dilation induced by hot showers or sun exposure.
In contrast, cooling is said to result in vasoconstriction, lessening circulation of drug to distal extremities. This in turn may lead to less drug extravasation into surrounding tissue, resulting in less toxicity. It is also possible that lower temperatures stabilize the liposomal configuration, thereby reducing the concentration of unencapsulated doxorubicin, the reviewers suggest.
Pharmacologic agents that have been evaluated for hand-foot syndrome include pyridoxine or vitamin B6, dexamethasone, amifostine, and COX-2 inhibitors. Topical agents are typically used to treat cases, and nonpharmacologic treatments that may relieve symptoms include emollients, aloe vera lotion, and moisturizing creams. Dr. Lorusso and colleagues name Bag Balm, a topical petroleum-lanolin-based ointment with the antiseptic ingredient hydroxyquinoline sulfate. They conclude, "Treatment measures must be started as soon as possible when necessary to help prevent progression of palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia."

Hand-Foot Syndrome

Hand-foot syndrome, which is also referred to as palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia(PPE), plantar palmar toxicity, palmoplantar keratoderma, and cutaneous toxicity, is a side effect of some chemotherapy drugs. It results when a small amount of drug leaks out of the smallest blood vessels in the palms of the hands and soles of the feet. The amount of drug in the capillaries of the hands and feet increases due to the friction and subsequent heat that is generated in those extremities. As a result, more drug may leak out of capillaries in these areas. Once out of the blood vessels, the chemotherapy drug damages surrounding tissues.
What is hand-foot syndrome?

Hand-foot syndrome (also called Palmar-Plantar Erythrodysesthesia) is a side effect of some chemotherapy drugs that results when a small amount of drug leaks out of the smallest blood vessels in the palms of the hands and soles of the feet. The amount of drug in the capillaries of the hands and feet increases due to the friction and subsequent heat that is generated in those extremities. As a result, more drug may leak out of capillaries in these areas. Once out of the blood vessels, the chemotherapy drug damages surrounding tissues.
Which drugs cause hand-foot syndrome?

The chemotherapy drugs that have been reported to cause hand-foot syndrome in some patients include:
  • Xeloda® (capecitabine )
  • Cytosar-U® (cytarabine)
  • FUDR® (floxuridine)
  • 5-FU (fluorouracil)
  • Idamycin® (idarubicin)
  • Doxil® (liposomal doxorubicin)
  • Sutent® (Sunitinib)
  • Nexavar® (Sorafenib)
  • Continuous infusion of (Adriamycin®) doxorubicin
What are the symptoms of hand-foot syndrome?

Symptoms of hand-foot syndrome include:
  • Tingling or burning
  • Redness
  • Flaking
  • Swelling
  • Small blisters
  • Small sores on the palms of the hands or soles of the feet
  • Eventual skin hardening
How can hand-foot syndrome be prevented?

Changes to your normal, daily activities after receiving intravenous (through a vein) chemotherapy or during treatment with oral chemotherapy may reduce your chances of developing hand-foot syndrome.
Reduce exposure of hands and feet to friction and heat by avoiding the following:
  • Hot water (washing dishes, long showers, hot baths)
  • Impact on your feet (jogging, aerobics, walking, jumping)
  • Using tools that require you to squeeze your hand on a hard surface (garden tools, household tools or appliances, kitchen knives, driving, playing musical instruments)
  • Rubbing (vigorously applying lotion or massaging)
How is hand-foot syndrome treated?

Hand-foot syndrome is first treated by temporarily halting chemotherapy treatment. Stopping treatment allows the reaction to resolve and the skin to heal. If necessary, a lower dose may be used when chemotherapy is started again, or the intervals between treatments may be lengthened.

Doctors prefer to stop chemotherapy and interrupt hand-foot syndrome early, before the condition has a chance to progress to its more severe and painful stages. At its most severe, hand-foot syndrome may require treatment in the hospital, especially if infection sets in. It is extremely important to inspect your hands and feet after receiving chemotherapy. Tell your doctor immediately if you have signs or symptoms of hand-foot syndrome.

If you are diagnosed with hand-foot syndrome, your doctor will interrupt your chemotherapy treatments (or if you are taking an oral agent, will ask you to stop taking it) until the reaction goes away and any blisters or sores have healed. Your doctor should then discuss with you recommendations for how your treatment plan should proceed. If this is not your first episode of hand-foot syndrome, or if you had a more severe case, possible options for you and your doctor include beginning chemotherapy again with a lower dose or with more time between treatments, or stopping chemotherapy permanently.
How are the symptoms of hand-foot syndrome managed?

If you have developed hand-foot syndrome, you will be advised of methods you can try to feel better while you are waiting for your skin to heal. Some approaches to managing hand-foot syndrome may include:

Corticosteroids -
Steroids work by reducing inflammation. Your doctor may recommend a systemic corticosteroid (such as dexamethasone, as a pill or in a solution taken by mouth) to help relieve the symptoms of hand-foot syndrome.
Dimethyl-sulfoxide (DMSO) - Topical treatment with DMSO has shown activity in treating leakage of chemotherapy drugs into tissues.
Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) - A small clinical trial has shown that treatment with vitamin B6 can reduce the symptoms of hand-foot syndrome. Discuss with your doctor before taking.
Acetaminophen - Over-the-counter pain relievers such as Tylenol (acetaminophen) may relieve discomfort and pain associated with hand-foot syndrome. Ask your doctor if you should take this medication, especially if you have liver or kidney problems.
What else can I do?

For relief of symptoms associated with hand-foot syndrome, try the following:
  • Cool the palms or bottoms of your feet with ice packs for 15 to 20 minutes at a time. Gel soles cooled prior to inserting in your shoes can also be comforting.
  • Elevate hands and feet.
  • Apply antibiotic ointment on open sores.
  • Apply moisturizers liberally to hands and feet, but avoid vigorous rubbing to palms and soles. (Lotions such as Lubriderm, Bag Balm, Udder Cream, and lanolin creams are recommended.)
  • Avoid constrictive clothing and wear comfortable shoes with cushioned soles. Do not go barefoot.
  • Soak the affected skin in Epsom salt and lukewarm water three to four times a day, if possible.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Rich66

Anyone heard of any downside to B6? Any idea of helpful dosage?

Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) - A small clinical trial has shown that treatment with vitamin B6 can reduce the symptoms of hand-foot syndrome. Discuss with your doctor before taking.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
vickie h

Rich, Thanks so much for all the info. I had stage 2 HFS when I took Xeloda last year and it was painful to walk. I started taking a high dosage vitamin B complex (100 mg of each) and extra B6 and my hands and feet healed in a few weeks without stopping TX. I did not know about the henna, which is a bonus. According to my accupuncturist, there is no downside to B6. It is a valuable vitamin to be used for neuropathy, also (also great for nausea). Love, Vickie

Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass,
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Feb 04 IBC IIIC/IV er-/pr- her2+++
3/04 TCH X4
7/ 04 MRM 9/04 Taxol/herceptin wkly 1 yr 33X rads
11/04 skin mets 33x rads,10/05 Avast/Herc. 11 mos.
8/ 06 PET mets lymphs, neck
9/ 06 Navelbine/herceptin
11/ 06 PET NED
2/ 07 skin mets, 4/07 Xeloda, 5/07 add Tykerb
2/ 08 Tykerb failed. Doxil /Herceptin 6 months
8/08 PET skin mets, 8/08 Abraxane/Avastin
11/ 08 PET prog., skin mets
1/09 PET/CT progress, 1/09 Ixempra, 2/09 add Xeloda and low dose Naltrexone
2/09 off Ixempra/Xeloda
3/09 navelbine/herc/cytoxin 4/09 PET shows regress.7/09 start Topotecan. Failed.
8/09 extensive mets rgt brst, back and torso. starting Pazopanib clinical trial.
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #8
Rich66

FDA approves pilot cancer study by WVU
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) -- A pilot study at West Virginia University aimed at helping cancer patients who develop hand-foot syndrome has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Researchers will test an ointment developed to prevent the syndrome, which is pain, numbness, tingling, reddening or swelling in the hands or feet.
The university said Friday that more than half the patients who receive the chemotherapy drug Capecitabine, marketed as Xeloda, develop hand-foot syndrome.
WVU worked with Adherex Technologies Inc., a biopharmaceutical research company, in preclinical studies of the ointment. University researchers developed the ointment from a drug that Adherex has been developing for other uses.
AP-ES-01-30-09 1341EST
Old 02-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
Rich66

WVU Helping to Develop Cancer Cream
Posted Friday, February 6, 2009 ; 10:47 PM
Updated Friday, February 6, 2009 ; 11:46 PM

Watch Story VideoOintment relieves painful side effects of cancer treatment
Story by Susan Sullivan
Email | Bio | Other Stories by Susan Sullivan

MORGANTOWN -- Patients who suffer from certain cancers can take the drug Xeloda. Unfortunately, this treatment comes with a fifty percent chance that they'll experience pain, swelling, redness, and cracked skin on their hands and feet.
A West Virginia University doctor is working to remedy that problem and lessen the pain for those cancer patients.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has given Dr. William Petros, at the WVU Cancer Center, the go-ahead to test an ointment developed to prevent hand-foot syndrome, a painful reaction to one of the most widely used cancer treatments in the world.
"Starts out as a redness, tingling, advances to pain, sometimes can start blistering and cause real problems and limit their functions," explained Petros.
Petros says that research has been going on for about a year, and his lab's job, which began in January, is to find out how much of the Vaseline-based ointment to administer. Subjects test the ointment at home. They receive two tubes, one for their right hand and one for the left. Patients don't know which one is the placebo and which is the real thing. They use the ointment, while taking Xeloda, for two weeks, then come in for a hand and foot assessment and blood test.
This will help researchers determine a proper dosage.
"Optimistically, we would like to see that this drug prevents the hand-foot syndrome from occurring in our patients so they would have less pain and we'd be able to give them full dose of the anti-cancer drug," he said.
Petros says he is delighted to provide this service to cancer patients.
"It's a very exciting area of research," he said, "And we really hope to make an impact on patient care that way." Although Petros says the results of this clinical trial won't be known for several months, he is excited at the prospect of bringing relief to cancer patients. Related Links:
WVU Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center
http://www.hsc.wvu.edu/mbrcc/

Copyright 2009 West Virginia Media. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.