HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-30-2008, 06:42 AM   #1
KelliD.

Swollen left foot

Hey there! Just had a question about my swollen foot... anyone else experience this? My onc said to give it some time, could be from the chemo. It's been like this for 3 wks. & I've been finished w/ chemo for 2 wks. By the end of the day it hurts pretty bad from the swelling(I think, I hope that's all it is...). The day I told him about it, he really checked my leg over for a blood clot & said it felt ok. Any insight? Thanks a bunch!!!

Blessings, Kelli
Axillary Node Dissection & Port Placement 5-08-08 2/24+(Total 4/28+)
4 dd AC/ 4 Taxol w/ Herceptin
Herceptin til July '09
Radiation 37 tx starting 10/20
Tamoxifan
KelliD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
Terri B

Location: me & my three HANDSOME grandsons!!Jacksonville, Arkansas
Kelly,

I have the same problem! But mine was doing this somewhat before the chemo.

It seems to be worse, the heavier my weight is. Right now, my weight is worse than ever.

When i get home from work, i try to get my feet propped up as soon as possible. By the morning, the swelling is gone.

Is your swelling ever relieved? Mine is so bad at the end of the work day, i refer to is as my "KANKLE"
1.5 cm & .6 cm grade III, Stage IIA
es/pr- Her2+++, 9/9 richardson
Double Mast w/expanders 4-14-08
3/9 nodes positive.
additional excision rt breast 4-25-08
weekly T/H x 12 (6-2-08) Done!
FEC x4 (9-8-08) Last one 11-10-08!
Herceptin complete 8/10/09!!
33 RADS DONE 2/13/09!
rt. breast biopsy 3/20/09 .. B9!!
reconstruction complete!
DEEEEEEported on 5/19/10!!
almost 5 YEARS NED!!
Terri B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
KelliD.

Hey Terri! No, the swelling never goes down! Not even overnight... I figure I'll give it another week & then call my onc, seeing I don't have another appt. scheduled til Jan.
Herceptin til July '09
Tamoxifan
Old 09-30-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
BethC

Kelli,

Has he performed a lower extremity ultrasound for DVT? I'd tell him that you really want to know what's going on and just guessing about it isn't working for you any longer. And a chest CT. I had a PE last month - not good. If it's been going on that long they need to find out why and quit speculating about it. Enough already.

Hope you get to feeling better.
Love,
Beth
Er+Pr+Her+++
Carboplatin/Taxotere/Herceptin
10-1-07 -- 1-16-08
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 9/24/08
Lump. and node dissection 2-12-08
BRCA1 and 2 negative
30 rads finished 4-23-08
oophorectomy 5-6-08
Femara started 5/25/08
Zometa for osteoporosis every 6 mo. started 9-24-08

Married 16 years!
3 kids - daughter (10), twin sons (7)
BethC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
Jackie07

I had swollen left knee around the third round of my 3-weekly FEC after I walked rigorously for about an hour.

I thought it was related to my 'left-side weakness' after the brain surgery in 1990 and Gamma-knife in 2001, but my Oncologist just checked it and agreed with me that I should lift up my feet more often. The swell went down after a while and I finished my 6 rounds of TCH and then did 4 weekly Herceptin.

Then my doctor ordered the 2nd MUGA and stopped my Herceptin because of the lowered score. I tried again a month later, but the score went down even further. So I had to quit and just comfort myself with the British report which states that 9 weeks Herceptin has at least 98% of the effect as the 1-year treatment.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
juanita

my right foot was swollen most of the time while on herceptin. that's the side i was receiving treatments in. don't know if that helps or not.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:16 AM   #7
Kavy

Kelli,
I agree with Beth that you should try to have an ultrasound of you leg asap, just to be in the safe side. My left leg was swollen when I was on Gemzar, and my doctor ordered an ultrasound for DVT to look for blood clots. I learned that when you have a blood clot, it hurts a lot, but I was not having any pain at the time, just the swelling, and for me it turned out that it was not a blood clot, just side effect from the chemo. I hope the same happens to you, but you should have it checked anyway.
Hope you feel better soon.
Hugs,
KarlaV.
Kavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
KelliD.

Thanks for all of your input... I will keep you informed.

Blessings, Kelli
Herceptin til July '09
Tamoxifan
Old 10-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #9
Gerri

KelliD,

Another thought on this. I had swollen feet and ankles all through chemo, my left always more swollen than my right. My onc wasn't concerned, but long after chemo and herceptin were over I still had swelling. I finally told her that I was really tired of how swollen they were by the end of the day so she agreed to put me on Lasix (a diuretic). It really made a difference in the size of my feet at the end of the day. I took it every day for quite a while and my feet stopped swelling so much. Now I just take it when needed.

All my best,
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:12 AM   #10
katcdale@yahoo.com

Location: Mississippi Delta, birthplace of the Blues, across the street from Super Chikan and down from Daddy Rich, with illiamWeejyRogers@myspace is(son),in a multicultural neighborhood ,flat for miles, with fields of cotton,soybeans, turning corn fields town, all musician come here, beside MS River,
Question Kat in the delta

Right now both of my feet and ankles have been swollen for nearly a week....and off and on for a year since all IV's stopped..
I went to this older dermatologist as I was getting sores from the scratching as it also Itched!! HE said I had "stasis dermatitis/eczema" That was nearly a year ago and he immediately put me on antibiotics, gave me a certain cream for ankles and itch& sores , and added another diurectic to the one I had always taken daily.
This week I have been swollen and in severe PAIN.. in ankles legs and even ribs--my chest!! I was almost about to call the AMBULANCE ! My husband gets mad at me --hoping he will take me to get tests Monday..
I have been in so much PAIN!! I even had pain pills...but I think I waited til the pain was too severe, then I'd take one..and that is not the thing for ME to do. I threw things into a bag.. could hardly think the PAIN was THAT BAD!! Today I was a bit better.. I found a LASIX-stronger diurectic which I took, and I took the pain pill ahead of the pain..and began Keflex..PLUS I found the Cream to put on my ankles which do not have as many sores as before --yet!! But the skin around my ankles feels thick.
I think if I do not get to an MD...for a ultrasound to check to see if I have blood clots..or if I do not MOVE my legs, ankles and feet-- I may croak!! and nothing TIGHT on ankles or legs, please.. I am too bad off or beyond that point. NOW,... I am even HOLDING MY CHEST--the pain is under my ribs, too-could be MY HEART!!
What is this ____??? It starts like lymphedema in the ankles , but goes far beyond THAT!! I know the weekend is not a good time to be admitted into a hospital so I treated myself.. but (OH MY --IT IS AM) I will call my GP MD.. for tests.asap/after a bit of sleep.
(go to www.medlineplus.gov) for some of these conditions.. lyphedema, DVT, Venous Insuffiencey, and Congestive HEART failure. I will tell my GP. or some MD.
I know that HERCEPTIN's bad side effect is that it can attach to your heart muscle...slowing things down. My left ventricle output was never up to par.. but the ONC kep the HERCEPTIN FLOWING... I had to be put on lasix then.. and he wouldn't give me 1 pain pill--said I had no evidence of Cancer... I WAS IN PAIN AND WENT to my GP!!
>>IS THERE A NURSE ON BOARD???<<<?? Anyway...if I am sitting or standing still, not moving-- my ankles and feet are lots worse----like on this computer!!
Holding them up, or walking for circulation helps a whole lot !!
I read on the lymph..site that a 2nd cancer can occur..... ANY OF YOU HAD SYMPTOMS like ME ??? HEART heart also...?? RSVP Kat in the delta
SWELLING of ankles-both sides- after a masectomy--3yrs after you had surgery, er+, pr-, i stopped the tamoxifen as I was afraid.. am postmenapausal but bad bones-54yrs old now- 105 lbs.. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON what type of TESTS my GP md could run on me??
RSVP= Kat in the delta
katcdale@yahoo.com

Last edited by katcdale@yahoo.com; 10-06-2008 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: had lots of mispelling-now ok
katcdale@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #11
Mgarr

Swelling

Kat,

Sorry to hear you are having these issues. I am thinking about you, the only advice I can offer is maybe see a rheumatologist. I had swelling & heaviness after herceptin treatments then eventually all my joints were inflammed & immobile. I was tested and never really given a firm diagnosis but went on a med and the problems cleared up. I have since discontinued the medicine with no joint issues. I have also taken the advice of Robin and many here and eat an anti inflammatory diet. Try reading To Young to Feel Old it really helps with the dietary questions.

Best of luck.

Mary

Diagnosed 11/04 @39yrs. young
Stage IIB
2.5 cm, ER/PR- Her+++, grade 3
Partial Mast., 1/3 pos. node
1/05 full node dissection
4 A/C 4 Taxol DD, Herceptin 1 yr.
30X rads.
BRCA Negative
NED

Hope is the thing with feathers