HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Mickey1382

Red face Newbie!

Afternoon - I just joined the HER2 group and have just decided what to do next. I have had a bilateral mastectomy (8/8/13), will have a port inserted on 9/25/13 and start chemo 9/26/13. I am confused, scared but strong and in info overload by all of the information received. I will need help from those who have trekked this journey up the mountain and are far ahead of me. So I'm asking for guidance and will continue to read the posts that clearly help me understand that I have a long way to go.

I've selected TCH as the treatment as oppose to A&C (adriamycin, etc.). This group helped me make that choice.

Thank you for being there and to Christine for creating. I respectfully say that her spirit lives on. Enjoy your blessings!
Mickey1382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
tricia keegan

Re: Newbie!

Hi Mickey and welcome, if you check out the newcomers forum you'll find others starting this with you, I did the A/C/T/H and I'm eight years out now and continue to take Arimidex up to ten, although by the time I get there it may be for fifteen!!

I just wanted to wish you well with your treatments and if you have any questions feel free to ask, I found chemo to be no picnic but do able and once you take you take your anti nausea meds (even if you feel you dont need them) you should be fine as its easier to prevent nausea than stop if it starts. I also drank water during and after the infusion which helped and just ate little and often as had no appetite, good luck and keep us posted!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:28 AM   #3
sarah

Hello,
Sorry you're joining us but this is a great site, great family here.
You have to stop taking most vitamins and supplements during chemo and radiation - check on what's ok. I gave up everything but I think calcium was ok.
Chemo is tough - tiring so plan for it. get food in that you can just heat up and if you like reading, lots of good books and also DVDs. Ginger is good for nausea if you have it. Remember it will end and it's so important.
If they put you on AIs (Tamoxifen or Femara) take it at night, it helps lessen any potential side effects.
try to walk a little every day. some people on chemo gain (I did) and some lose weight.
As tricia said, drink water during your treatment and chat with your fellow travellers, they may have some good tips and it may help pass the time.
you will be too tired to drive yourself home so arrange for someone to take you. Here we have the ability of a taxi (free of charge) taking us and picking us up although my husband did it.
Wtih radiation, you'll see the same group of people for most of your 5 or 6 week sessions and so you'll become good acquaintances during that time. I kept a bottle of Maalox by my bed since radiation caused gerd (burning sensation) and that helped. You can drive to radiation and it's fast. never put cream on the skin before a radiation session and again no vitamins or supplements.
Good luck.
hugs and love
sarah
Old 09-13-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
NEDenise

Welcome Mickey!
Sorry you need us, but soooo glad you found us. I think you'll find knowledge, support and even a chuckle or two!

It sounds like you are already striving to make informed decisions about your treatment.
Good for you!
Too many patients see a white lab coat and just go with whatever that doc says.
Tricia's advice is good (no surprise there!), especially about the nausea meds.
I'd just like to add... don't hesitate to pamper yourself at every turn.
There will be plenty of time to be brave and strong later!
If you need a nap... take it!
If you want a treat... eat it!
If people offer to help... let them!

I hope to see your posts often.
Best of everything to you! Please let us know how things are going.
Denise
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Mickey1382

Good Morning Denise Sarah & Tricia and everybody else! I thank you much for the info. I've taken notes and will be ready! I think. Water, naps, nausea, ginger, take certain drugs at night, to name a few. I also see that I was in the wrong spot; found the Newbie group and will post there. Some of the posts I've read have questions I'd like to ask. I am really glad you are all here to support us and each other, but sorry we've met under these circumstances. I am remaining positive, strong and will be peeking here. Enjoy your blessings!
Old 09-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Jackie07

Hi Mickey,

Looks like you are well prepared and ready for the next stage of your treatment. This is a wonderful group and we will walk with you every step of the way.

Love your profile picture...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Mickey1382

Evening JackieO. Thank you, thank you. BTW photo is Devil's Hopyard in East Haddam, Connecticut. Have a great evening!
Old 09-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
dearjilly

Mickey, well done finding this site. It's a good one. Very helpful and full of knowledge.
Just wanted to say hi.
April 2013 - GOT MARRIED!!!!
May 2013 - looks like no progression, but necrosis and bigger.
Oct-Dec 2013 - Avastin tx
Nov 2013 - MRI shows necrosis shrinkage!!!!
Jan 2014 - Lepto Mening. disease found
Feb 2014 - WBR
March - BLAHHHH
April 2014 - Liver mets found
April 2014 to present - Chemo again, whooohoo. Fun!
July 2014, scans look good.
Stay on Perjetand hercertin.
Nov. 2014 more lepto-mening disease more WBR.
Feb 2015 more lepto-mening disease in spine and neck. More radiation.
Start on TDM1 no more Perjeta stay on herceptin
March 2015 more radiation in my thoracic area, more lepto-meningial disease
April 2015 trying to walk again.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
dearjilly is offline   Reply With Quote