HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
michele u

I'm thinking mastectomies?

I've been asked alot lately why i did not have bilateral mastectomies. I was dx 2003 stage 3b an had 35 pos nodes. I had lumpectomy because my surgeon said the likley hood of cancer coming back in the breast or at a distant site, it would be the distant site. I agreed mainly because i had such a high recurrence rate i thought i would have been gone by now. Now, 3 1/2 years later i'm having 2nd thoughts. Has anyone gotten mast. years after dx for prevention? I'm kinda scared about the lymphedema issue mostly. I have some numness on my affected side, not real bad. Just want everyone's opinion

dx: August 2003 stage 3b 35 pos nodes ER/PR neg Her+
4 AC 12 weekly taxol
one year Herceptin in trial
35 rad tx
vaccine trial Seattle
NED
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
Lani

As surgery causes inflammation musn't you consider that some of the

prostaglandins and cytokines released to achieve healing of the surgery might not stir up some dormant cancer cells.

Perhaps not, as studies of surgically removing the primary tumors in those who presented with metastatic disease doesn't seem to increase the rate of death from metastases, but those studies were not done particularly on her2 positive breast cancer.

Even if cancer comes back in the same breast, studies have shown success with repeat lumpectomies--I think the thinking is that the smaller the surgery the less inflammatory substances released.

The point I remember is that breast cancer recurs at chronological peaks which are timed in such a way that the "clock" started ticking with the time of surgery, NOT the time of discovery of the tumor (which is often months before in patients in denial or in countries/regions where medical care is not easily available). Again, these findings are not specific for her2 breast cancer, which may behave differently.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
StephN

Hi Michele -

Good question.
But you did have radiation, so you did the alternative to mast.
Have you mentioned this idea to your med onc?? They usually only do this for patients who have the positive genetic testing.

Personally, I would not want to get myself run down by these surgeries. It is a hard healing road.

Keep asking the questions. I am sure others will weigh in.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
RobinP

Michele, I do kind of agree with Lani. I first thought about the threat of additional surgeries when Gina was on these boards? If you recall, she mentioned that she didn't have additional reconstructive surgery because she feared that the surgery would stir up her2. I think she based this on circulating imflammtory growth factors stimulated by surgery, as Lani has indicated. I also think with proper erradiation and surgery, lumpectomy is just as effective as mastectomy.In the end, I think you got to hash out the pros and cons and make your choice Michele.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:28 AM   #5
Lauriemn

Well, I had to have a mast, but I struggled with if I should have the "good" side removed also. I had delayed reconstruction in Sept. and I decided to keep it.

I based my decision on 2 factors, my genetic test was neg and I spoke with the radiologist who did my last mammogram and he said my breasts were not dense. ( I was 37 when diagnosed , so never had a mammogram) He said the lump was clearly visible on that first mammogram. I feel that if I ever develop it on the other side, at least I would hopefully discover it alot earlier than I discovered my first cancer.
I don't think having another mast would give me any more peace of mind. I already had to have a biopsy along the scar line of my mast, as my onc found a lump during my 3 month check up. I have as much stress about the mast side and a recurrance on that side, as I do about my "good side"

laurie
Lauriemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
michele u

you all make me feel better. I've just had gotten alot of "why didn't you do bilateral mast" quiestions lately. My tumor did show up on mammogram. I'm happy with the way my breast has healed in. I got a "free" reconstrucion with as much swelling that filled the lumpectomy area. Even after i had 2 lumpectomies, no one can at all that i had surgery.

4 AC 12 weekly taxol
35 rad tx
vaccine trial Seattle
NED
Old 02-23-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
Sandy H

Wow, a big decision!

Michelle, are you IBC as you said you were diagnosed stage 111b? I was told anyone diagnosed at stage 111b is IBC if not IBC then it will be 111a or c. Where it has been 3 years perhaps, you should leave well enough alone. This has to be your decision of course. Also can you get an oncologist do bil now and will your insurance pay for it? Also if you have reconstructions you are looking at lots of surgery and healing here. You can end up with infections as I am starting to get paranoid of these hospital infections these days. My sister died from one. Don't want to scare you but as a nurse I am sure you understand where I am coming from. These are things to research and think about. Maybe, you can talk to a few oncologist and see what they suggest. Wishing you well in whatever you decide to do and keep us posted. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
Sheila

Michelle
I would really give it some thought...I was doing fine as Stage 1 when I went in for reconstruction....I changed to stage IV while doing it...no one can say if the surgery suddenly stirred things up, but I will always wonder.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:20 AM   #9
Chelee

I had just made up my mind to have my other breast removed. (Simple mastectomy) Surgery is even scheduled. It was a tough decision. What helped me decide is having to fight to get a 6 month mammo which I was denied and had to wait for a yearly one that now shows 4 masses consistent with lymph nodes. I have axilla, breast, nipple, & areola pain. Breast is enlarged. So I decided to just have it removed. (Another big factor for me was I CAN'T have radiation...so I *thought* this was a good preventative measure.

Now after reading Lani's post and hearing from Sheila this makes me very nervous. Now I need to re-think this.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:49 AM   #10
Sheila

Chelee

Surgery has to be a personal decision....I don't want to influence anyone, but I was node neg. when I had my mastectomy, and it seemed coincidental that when I was reopened for the tissue expander, suddenly (3 months later) it was present in my lymph nodes...could've happened anyway but I will never know...made me wish I had left everything alone.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:00 AM   #11
michele u

Sandy,

i'm not IBC. I think they stage me that way because i had level 2 positive lymph nodes in my neck.

4 AC 12 weekly taxol
35 rad tx
vaccine trial Seattle
NED
Old 02-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #12
Barbara2

Don't most doctors still feel that surgery does not stir up cancer cells? Has there been any proof that surgery after cancer might make cancer cells more active?

That was what I was hoping, anyway, when after chemo, I had heart surgery to correct SVT's, then later another mastectomy to get rid of the other very dense tissued breast. My very large tumor had not been seen in either a mammogram or ultra sound. I wanted to get rid of the other one just to give me peace of mind.

Since then, they now have new technology (name?? something digital, I believe) that is supposed to detect EARLY breast cancer even through dense breasts. If that is true, and this new piece of technology is more dependable, then maybe one would want to "keep" their "good" breast.

Lots to consider....

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:53 PM   #13
lia

Question help !

After a long period of agonising indecision ,I m currently in the process of getting a preventative mastectomy on the left side and then bilateral reconstruction using my stomach tissue , cant remember the medical term .I will be 2 years post surgery ( WLE initially , then mastectomy ) on march 1st. Reading this thread has reminded me of how convinced i was that the biopsy had stirred the cancer cells up , tumour was 7 mm on diagnosis and then 28 mm at wle then 33 mm and multi focal after mastectomy .i have strong family history but no gene found , bc was er / pr + and her2 + , node neg, mix of ductal , dcis and lcis. Now wondering if surgery is sensible . . I dont have to have it but as my bc was only found by chance in a family history mammo , and only one tumour showed up , I dont have a lot of faith in my own powers of detection or those of the mammogram. What are people s views on preventative mastectomies and on reconstruction ?? Thankyou !
lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:51 AM   #14
Lani

please see the thread I started today on "stirring things up"

it was included in a press release on an article discussing why african americans are twice as likely to die from breast cancer as european americans. It seems that the risk of surgery activating dormant distant metastases is felt to be greater in premenopausal women. Hope the new info helps.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:47 PM   #15
Margerie

Boy this is crappy news for me. I was premenopausal and node +- had mastectomy, then I have had a bunch of surgery since: Ovaries and gall bladder, then bilateral DIEP (preventative prophy R side- tested BRCA negative, but was burned by dense breasts on a mammo before, was going to have to have a lift/major surgery on that breast anyway to match reconstructed side), thyroid surgery, port placement surgery, and recently hernia repair and part of Stage 2 reconstruction (have to wait until June for nips).
But then again I had never had surgery (or any other disease) before my triple + cancer was diagnosed.

Does being on herceptin help? I am assuming none of the initial surgeries are done while on herceptin.

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:36 PM   #16
Chelee

Margerie, I'm with you on this one. Makes me very un-comfortable about my recent decision to have a prophylactic mastectomy. I already have it scheduled for March 15th. After reading these posts here...I ran across an article on MSNBC on the topic Lani posted about.

It mentioend being peri-meno and surgery stirring up things. (Like you, I had pos nodes also.) I am peri-meno...and I am on the end of getting herceptin. Now I am not so sure this is a good idea?! Plus if I go through with this mastectomy...next in line is an ooph...that I KNOW for sure I am going thru with that...I have to because my onc is playing games with me. I can't deal with it anymore...plus one ovary had a cyst of some kind and it needs to go!
I swear since this bc nightmare...its always something! What to do...when to do...if you should do...to many choices/decisions! The last thing I want to even take a chance on is "stirring up" things. Argh...I have a headache!

Chelee
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #17
Becky

Herceptin will help protect you. This is one reason why I got my ooph and other things done while still on it.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:53 AM   #18
Chelee

Becky, I am happy to hear the herceptin will help. I sure would of felt better had I still been on the "AI" too. I would of had my ooph done had I not ran into all this breast & axilla pain. I hope I can get that ooph schedule asap after my mastectomy. The GYN made it sound like it would be no problem, so we will see.

Chelee
Old 03-01-2007, 06:34 AM   #19
astrid

I had a lumpectomy, mainly because my sister had a mastectomy and it did not save her. The survival rate does not improve with a mastectomy. She was 40 years old were she died 11 years ago. She was only stage 1 with no node involvement.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:29 AM   #20
coker57

Scared of Surgery

IBC recurrence after lumpectomy/lymph dissection surgery 12/1/06 1/6 & clean margins, caught just before rads. I'm scared to death to now have a masectomy. I don't understand where they know where to cut, where does this skin inflammation begin and end. I also read a lot of scars are long time healing if cancer remains in the skin, rads are delayed, and reconstruction is difficult.
I'm currently on gen/cisplatin/herceptin and seeing the redness disappearing. No mets currently. 2nd opinion on the 17 of where to go from here.
I'm so confused about what the right thing to do.
It seems regardless of what you do this thing has a tendence to return and I'm not sure going thru another surgery recovery is worth it. anyadvice out there is needed...........thank you for your web sit. I use to come here for her2 and now I'm here for IBC
I'm still learning how to use this site. Chemo brain doesn't help..........

You guys are a wonder to me.
coker57 is offline   Reply With Quote