HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
jml

Ixempra - good respoonse after only 3 weeks!

Hi Friends~

Just wanted to share some good news - seems like it's in short supply these days, so hope this helps.

I just finished my 1st cycle of qweekly Ixempra/Herceptin - 3 weeks on, 1 week off.
It's been a tough regimen, but I can report, with my doctor's confirmation, that the combo is WORKING!

After progressing on multiple other combos over the years (109 rounds of infused chemo to date) , and then not responding to Tykerb/Xeloda and Tykerb/Herceptin in the recent 8 months, we switched to Ixempra/Herceptin.I was really apprehensive about Ixempra because I'd heard so little about it from folks here, not to mention, little about how effective the drug is. I know, it's always a crapshoot, but it's nice to hear about other's successes on different meds.

My disease has recurred in my liver - after 4 yrs NED in my liver - and in the nodes in my belly, causing complications for GI & bladder, and a 2cm soft tissue met that is very superficial & palpable near my belly button.
I'd say there's been ~50% improvement/decrease in all my symptoms and the palpable met is significantly smaller! "Oh yeah, that's definitely smaller" were the words of my doc

I started the 2nd cycle yesterday and will scan after this cycle. There's no reason to suspect we won't continue on this positive path, so I'm hoping and praying to see NED again very soon!

As for hairloss, the literature says 30% of people will experience 50% hairloss. So far for me, none, though I suspect I may experience some loss during this 2nd cycle. Or maybe I dodged the bullet - one can always hope!
This has been a tough combo for me - and I'm not accustomed to feeling this sick on treatment. But by the Grace of God and the resilience of the Human Body, the week OFF has been a blessing and I felt more like myself that I had in MONTHS. Wow is it a nice feeling to be OFF chemo!

Just wanted to share this little bit of sunshine. And a reminder that Ixempra works and that it's available in our arsenal to help us continue on this fight, until there's a CURE.

A positive response to treatment for any one of us is a VICTORY for all of us!

Keep the Faith~

Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote