HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
Heart Sutra

Question vascular invasion (so much for worry again)

Well, we were riding high for almost 72 hours.
Sue still feels great.

We went for post-op check-up. Plastic surgery came out fantastic, we couldn't believe how good things looked two days after mastectomy. Good news.

Then the primary surgeon called to say that although the full pathology report is not back yet, the pathologist saw vascular invasion, resulting from pretty expensive dcis surrounding the idc. As a result, Sue is going for a cat scan on Tuesday, MUGA, and bone scan following days. Checking for mets.

So, I've read a little, I feel that the news of her nodes being negative is cancelled out by the news of vascular invasion. Nearly so, anyway.

What do you think, or better yet...what do you know?

---Kevin and Sue---
Heart Sutra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
Robyn

Sounds like you have some great docs on your team!

My original tumor was stage 2a, no nodes involved IDC, extensive DCIS and vascular invasion was present. (2002), in Canada at that time, they did NOT check her2 status. I was also er/pr negative. I remember reading that part on the path report and my onc dismissed it and said alot of people have the "invasion" part. Fast forward to 2005, recurrence to mast. scar line and month later to the lungs. This is MY story. Cancer has it's own mind and our bodies seems to react differently to it. Good news is, she doesn't have node involvement and the good "factors" are present. I wish we all could have the doubt of the future erased when it comes to this awful disease, but we can't, so just do all that you can to do to monitor and come to a sense of peace with it (easier said than done).

Hang in there
Robyn
Robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
bashmaz

Thumbs up I had vascular and lymphatic invasion - all fine over 4 years later

Hi - I was diagnosed 4/2002 with 1.8cm tumor, 1+ve node, lymphatic and vascular invasion ("extensive"), grade 3, her2+++, ER/PR-ve.
Had lumpectomy, ACx4, Taxolx4, radiationx37. I chose not to particpate in the Herceptin trial; was 47, now 52, feeling great - well, maybe a little creaky first thing in the morning due to chemopause/menopause! I bet Sue will do just fine.

Marianne
bashmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
Heart Sutra

thank you for responding.

We had our hopes up (even though we tried not to) about being node negative, that hearing this news about vascular invasion really set us back.
We don't really know how bad a factor this is. As always, the interenet is filled with conflicting information, though mostly negative...
This is why we have come to depend on your experiences.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
Sheila

Kevin and Sue

I had a small tumor, clean nodes and slight vascular invasion...I did recur, but it has been 5 years in Feb. for me....3 years as stage IV and I am still going strong....Sue will do fine...remember, the statistics you are reading, we on this site have shown otherwise, and Sue will too! We are here for you both. THINK POSITIVE!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:28 PM   #6
Becky

I had extensive invasion (but also a positive node). My mom also had extensive invasion (no nodes but was Her2 neg and highly ER/PR +) but she had no chemo - only lumpectomy and rads and is doing fine as am I.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:31 PM   #7
Bev

Kevin and Sue,

I think you had posted earlier that you thought stage 3. So far even with the vascular, was it focal invasion, shouldn't change staging. What this says to me is that systemic chemo may be a wise choice. But stage 3 and Her+ would also call for chemo. So even though it's not the greatest news, it's only a lateral move in terms of outcome and treatment.

Within the week they should be confirming if the Sentinal node was truly negative. They do one test during surgery that's 95% + or - accurate and follow up with one that's 99%, but takes longer to get results.

In summary neg nodes are a big deal for quality of life anyways. Node pos means a 2nd surgery to remove arm nodes. That surgery has a host of side effects. So be happy. The invasion means it's likely that some tumor cells are circulating thru the body. That's what chemo and Herceptin kill. Most everyone past stage 0 has this issue.

Hope all the scans come out clean. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:55 PM   #8
Lolly

Kevin and Sue;

You've gotten GREAT advice, and I mean that. I just wanted to add my voice that all will be fine as you navigate this course; Herceptin has changed the face of this disease dramatically, and Sue will reap the benefits.
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:21 AM   #9
Heart Sutra

thanks everyone.

The cancer hasn't been staged at all yet. full pathology not in yet, and I've long since stopped trying to stage it myself from all the bits and pieces of information we have so far. According to available grading criteria, I can place it in any of several categories. Too many variables, and frankly it's a depressing past-time that amounts to nothing. We'll wait to see what the experts grade it as, then we'l probably disagree
We assume that vascular invasion is very common. It just seems to be the nature of the disease.
Next week's tests, along with the pathology from the mastectomy, should finally give us a more specific idea of where we are right now. The trouble is that obsession for knowing is making me crazed, and I was at information overload a while back. There is so much literature that is generally worthless, yet has to be sorted through to find something worthwhile.
I'm sure we aren't a unique case when I say we just want to know what our situation is. It is like trying to know the answer to exactly how long, and how good, your life will be. A pointless question overall, as there is no answer.
Feeling very frustrated and scared and truthfully very angry. ...and life keeps right on delivering other joys as well, bad news on all fronts right now.
SO, we really need to take stock, to meditate and get grounded again. it's ok to lose it from time to time, right? Must be...
---Kevin and Sue---
Old 12-09-2006, 09:50 PM   #10
Bev

There's always too many variables. Most of the studies will not match up with Sue's Path exactly. A year from now you will be more comfortable in your knowledge of this disease. More people survive than not. I guess no one can pinpoint why the have nots haven't. There's clues but no answer. Continue on your quest for more knowledge. I think in a few months you will be able to help the rest of us. You can't turn back the clock, but if treatment goes well, you can be happy again. You'll be different, you will have a few more facets added. But like a diamond, you'll be that more valuable. Hang in there. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote