HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-31-2006, 10:48 AM   #21
Ora

Effexor or Cymbalta

I am a little confused. I take Effexor (actually the generic Venlafaxine 37.5 mg) for hot flashes and it also seems to be a pretty good anti-depressant. I take glucosomine & chondroitin (sp) for joint & back pain which my doctor lets me augment with a pain pill occasionally just so I can keep working. (Hope to retire end of year- hope & pray) But I do have neuropathy in toes and balls of my feet. Does anyone know if Cymbalta helps with hot flashes? I guess if I have to make the choice between living with hot flashes or numb tootsies, I'd have to go with the numbness because I cannot stand the hot flashes.

But the numbness does seem to be spreading up my feet. One of the ladies at my clinic is numb up past her ankles and cannot drive anymore. One more bad thing to worry about.
Lumpectomy 8-4-05, 2cm tumor, 3 nodes neg, Completed 4 A/C, 4 taxol, decadron (weekly due to steriod reaction) finished 4-17-06
Finished 33 rads 6-5-06, Femara, Started Herceptin 6-22-06
Effexor for hot flashes, Taken off Herceptin Feb 2007 due to low LVEF (44 by Echo) Coreg & Lisinopril replaced bp meds - April Echo back up to 55 Resumed Herceptin 5-21-07.
2010: almost 5 YRS NED!!! Still taking Femara & Coreg. Due to all the CT scans, abdominal aneurysm found & repaired. Something good came out of having cancer.
2013 7+ years NED. Still on Femara
Ora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:08 PM   #22
Kaye

Hi--I am one who began to get joint and bone pain with Arimidex. I have been on it 4+ yrs. I started taking Celebrex about 8 mos. after I started it. The Celebrex basically eliminated any pain associated with it and I have no bone related problems (associated with any type of arthritis) as far as I know.
Other thoughts about what might help--how about Glucosamine/Condroitin. I know several on that and they 'swear' by it. We have given it to our 14+ yr old dog who was having a hard time moving around. She now jumps and runs like a much younger dog.
In addition I recently read that the spice Cumerin (Turmeric) may have some anti-inflammatory/anti-arthritis benefits. It can be purchased in the spice section or in capsule form at health food stores. It can also be found in package-form at stores that sell foods from India.
If one uses Turmeric or Cumerin, however, it should not be used with certain chemotherapies--C or M of CMF or Adriamycin. Before using any alternatives, one should discuss with their oncologists and/or other physicians.
Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:58 PM   #23
Soccermom

Dear Ora, I just got my new RX for Cymbalta filled. i asked my onc at my checkup yesterday to switch me from Prozac after I read here that it may help with neuralgias. I will post after I have been on it for awhile and let you know about the hot flashes...you may have to REMIND me tho (LOL).

Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:54 AM   #24
Jean

Have been on Cymbalta for three weeks now and the difference is just
amazing! Joint pain is almost gone and muscle pain is gone. Toes are
feeling much improved and the discomfort of the tingling is reduced.
Started taking the Cymbalta for my toes and was surprised that I was getting
relief from the muscle and joint ache (I am taking Femara).

Worth taking to relieve the joint and muscle pain from AI's.

Jean
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:11 PM   #25
Soccermom

Dear Jean,
What wonderful news regarding pain relief! I am looking forward to experiencing the same ...Yahoo for you!!!

Marcia
Old 11-17-2006, 02:10 AM   #26
Kim in CA

Hi,

I have been on Femara for over 4 yrs now. I must say that I used to have pretty severe joint pain and lots of leg cramping. I used to take Glucosamine and Chondroitin, and thought I couldn't live without it, but noticed over the last couple of years that as I have become more active and fit my pains have all but quit. I don't take any joint supplements anymore. I think too, that the further out we get from our chemo the better things get. My last chemo was in 2003. So maybe things will improve with time.

Kim in CA

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:11 AM   #27
Jean

Good Point

Kim,
I do agree that the further out we go from chemo the less aches and pains.
But I will note that prior to chemo I was on Arimidex for one year and the
joint pain was rather strong. I continued to exercise (which I believe is
an important key in pain control) but even without chemo I was suffering.
Also take Cosamin/Chondroitin supplements but it did not ease up the pain.
The AI's do effect the body joints and muscle. I would say that anyone that has tried all the natural methods and foods and still experience strong pain should consider the Cymbalta.

Good Luck to all!
Jean
Old 12-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #28
Soccermom

Hi all! I am beginning my third week on Cymbalta and have not noticed any change in hot flashes nor pain,as yet. Will keep you posted!

Marcia
Old 12-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #29
Chelee

This has been my complaint to my oncologist since I started Femara. The first month no problems...but half way through the second one major aches, pains, stiffness. I feel like I am 105 yrs old.

I told my onc that I am so misrable on Femara, I don't even know if its worth it? She told me to give it time and my body would adjust. It only gets worse...not better. I am certainly taking this article to show her.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:25 PM   #30
Jean

Doubt,

I think (don't know for sure) that Cymbalta would have any effect on hot flashes, since that is a hormonal reaction. But for me (I am now on Femara)
it has helped greatly with the joint and muscle pain. Prior to taking the
Cymbalta I would also say that the joint and muscle pain was greater for me while I was on Arimidex.

Jean
Old 12-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #31
Susan Rankin

Smile those with severe joint and limb pain on Femara, Arimidex

Hi,

I asked my oncologist to give me a prescription for Cymbalta as I had read it helped joint pain, musculoskeletal pain, neuropathy, etc. He gave me a prescription for 60 mg a day. I have been taking it for a month. I immediately noticed a huge difference in my joint and muscle pain. I am feeling so much better. I cannot believe the difference in the way I feel. I am not stiff in the mornings, joint pain has subsided, it really is amazing.

I started with Arimidex in May of 2005. I took it for a year and then switched to Femara hoping the joint and muscle pain would improve. The joint pain did not improve with Femara. I am now taking the Femara with the Cymbalta and feeling good.

I was taking Zoloft for an antidepressant but I weaned myself off of this drug when starting the Cymbalta (antidepressant). I have had great results with the Cymbalta as an antidepressant also.

I can't wait to tell my oncologist the difference it has made in my quality of life.

Susan
Susan Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:27 PM   #32
Marlys

I started Cymbalta 30mgm at bedtime a week ago and the results are dramatic. I am glad I read about it here.
Marlys
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote