HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2006, 10:15 PM   #1
Her2nSue

Unhappy Findings of C.H.F.

Hi All

After 2 months of complaints to my Onc. that I'm more tired than I ever have been, gained weight throughout my mid section, cut back my hrs. at work and still nap for anywhere from 1 to 2 1/2 hrs. and ready for bed by 10 p.m. He had me go for a CT scan and Echocardiagram. CT was fine, Echo showed some problem the cardiologist said. From there I went in for a Left Heart Cath. to see if my arteries might be clogged. Nope. They were nice and clean, looked good. Final dx: have a weak heart, some damage on the left side=Congestive Heart Failure. Today's visit with the Oncologist after this diagnosis, no more Herceptin for me. I have received 9 months worth and was due to continue till early Feb. The Onc. feels that the 9 months worth should be sufficient and not to worry. How can one say that to another, it's like pulling Linus' security blanket away! Actually, I felt that my Onc. was having a pretty lackadaisical attitude about the whole situation. I told him what the cardiologist had said to my family in the waiting room after checking out my arteries, he seemed surprised, oh really? The cardiologist said you had CHF? Well, it's a mild case and reports suggest that patients that have a mild case of CHF, usually have a better chance for the heart to recover from it.
Suggests....Usually.....? Does it or does it not have a recovery from the damages of Herceptin?

Before he strolled out the door with "I'll see you in 3 months", I had inquired if I had any restrictions to help my heart recover. Nope, no restrictions. WHAT?? Here I am, up at 6:00 a.m., go do chores (have horses), get ready for work (Sp.Ed Assoc.) and by 3rd hr. class 10:30 a.m. I just about fall out of my chair with fatigue. I've cut my hours back at school twice now since school started in late Aug. I feel like I have someone sitting on my chest, I feel winded when doing normal everyday things, and here he says no restrictions. I don't get it. I'm sorry for rambling on here, everyone, but I just feel totally let down and disgusted with my Oncologists attitude. I just needed to vent, I guess. I have put a call into the Cardiologist to see what his thoughts were and if there are do's and don'ts with this CHF. From the internet I've have gained much info. on the do's and don'ts, but from the Doctors, so far not so much.

Thank you everyone for letting me ramble on.

Sue
dx 10/05
1 centimeter, grade 2
Estrogen and progestrin +
Her2 +++
Fish ratio 9.7
mastecomy-L, no nodes involved
A/C 11/05-1 every 3 weeks
Herceptin & Taxol 2/06-once a week for 12 wks.
Herceptin 4/06 thru early 11/06
Her2nSue is offline   Reply With Quote