HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 05-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
DianneS

Herceptin and leg and joint pains

Hi,

I read the thread posted by Lani but the replies are from 2006. Any updates on Herceptin causing:

1) slow hair regrowth
2) brittle nails
3) legs, feet and general aching all over. I usually feel better once I get up, but I have been getting general aches/pains in the wee hours of the morning, which wakes me up so I am sleepy during the day.
4) fatigue
5) diarrhea, barely controlled by drinking 1/4 cup aloe vera juice daily
6) sometimes acid reflux
7) eye doctor said eyes ok, but tear ducts blocked, recommended I apply moist heat daily.
8) eyes will water a lot when I first get up
9) frequent runny nose

I am done with the sessions of Taxotere/Carboplatin. My last session was March 12. So, how much of this is related to those drugs, and how much to Herceptin? I had a Herceptin treatment April 23.

I am thinking about quitting Herceptin in June. I am node negative & had bilateral mastectomies, right breast 50% DCIS, rest IDC, no spread to vascular system, left breast benign, and not sure I want to feel crummy for 6 more months, esp. when no one knows the long term effects....

I had 5.5 doses of Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin beginning in November, 08 and ending March 12, continuing with Herceptin only every 3 weeks.

Diannes
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
juanita

my main problem with herceptin was the achy legs, watery eyes and problems with the sinuses. the fatigue takes awhile to go away. hang in there. and the only thing still bothering me 3 years after finishing all treatments is the sinus stuff. lots of sinus infections for me.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Savta

Hi, DianneS,
I read your list, and I think I can say I have six out of your list of nine. I finished my year long course of Herceptin April 20--so I hope that things will get better. My hair has hardly grown back and my nails are always breaking. The joint aches and muscle pains are frequent, and the runny nose has me keeping tissues handy in every room and bag. The diarrhea comes once in a while and is uncomfortable---but, all in all. I am thankful for Herceptin. Not so many years ago, women like us weren't given such good odds.
So, I patiently wait while all this passes--and pray that the year course did the job.
Savta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Ceesun

No Longer on herceptin but I had muscles aches, runny nose for sure. Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
hutchibk

I think the overall crapiness you feel is hungover from taxotere/carbo more than the Herceptin. I had taxol/carbo/herceptin a few years ago, and just felt hit by a Mack truck for about 3-4 months after finishing the taxol/carbo portion. Herceptin by itself is pretty easy to tolerate with mostly mild SEs.

My first go-round on Herceptin I had runny eyes and nose... this time, not really at all. But this time it is with Tykerb, so I wonder if somehow the synergy between the two negates certain side effects (while causing others...).

I get sporadic cramps in my leg muscles while sleeping - like one week out of every month. Acid reflux is a foregone conclusion for the rest of my life since being in cancer treatment, but only sporadically and mostly when I eat certain things. Never have I had diarrhea on Herceptin by itself, but definitely when I have had other treatments in combo with it.

Brittle nails became the norm due to taxotere for me, and they have never been good since. And then being on Xeloda for 18 months sealed the deal.

I think you will feel better the further out you get from taxotere/carbo. Those are nasty chemos, and I know that they each kicked my butt. I would be hard pressed to blame the enduring crummy feeling on Herceptin. Give it some time.

If your doc wants you on it for a full year, I would go with that, personally. HER2 is nothing to mess around with, good dx and clean margins or not.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
CindyE

I have the nightly leg and calf cramping. I also have the runny, crusty nose problem. My finger tips split quite a bit too and my hair has been very slow to grow. I just finished my one year of Herceptin on 4/27/2009 so I am hopeful that things will begin to get back to normal now that I'm not taking Herceptin. All my side effects were minimal and I would say you should finish your full year of Herceptin just to make sure you've killed off those nasty her2+ cells.

L/IDC, 1.2 cm, Stage 1, Her2+, ER+/PR+ at age 48
4/15/2008 Lumpectomy + sentinel node biopsy
Margins neg and Nodes neg (2 tested)
MUGA score 55 on 5/6/2008

Treatment starting 05/08/2008:
Chemo 4 cycles, 3 weeks apart with Taxotere & Cytoxan - Chemo - Done 7/24/2008!
Herceptin for 1 year
Radiation starting in 9/2008
MUGA score 61.9 on 9/04/2008
33 Rads with boost - Done 10/13/2008
MUGA score 58 on 12/01/2008
MUGA score 59 on 3/16/2009
Herceptin for 1 year - Done 4/27/2009
MUGA score 64 on 6/22/2009
All scans - NED 6/24/2009
MRI - NED 11/10/2009
All scans - Still NED 8/25/2011
Still NED 2017!

I am calling this my pink journey
Follow my journey into the pink at my blog here

CindyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
DianneS

Hi ladies,

I don't mean to complain....well, I guess I do. I just don't know how much is from the Taxotere/Carboplatin, since I finished 5.5 rounds of that March 12. Would I still be getting loose stools from that chemo? I have talked to other women who had diarrhea while on Herceptin.

So I would say that these side effect are most bothersome for me:

Occasional painful legs and feet (helped by compression hose)
Runny, red rimmed eyes
Diarrhea and/or loose stools
Gas ! Enough to fuel a car
Tired, but getting better
Occasional muscle/joint aches, mostly in early am. Helped by walking walking walking.......

Oh! For those of you who have sinus infection, this may help. Try those nose drops called 'Ocean', or any brand that is salt /saline based. It is healing for sinus tissues and helped me a lot.

Diannes
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
Old 05-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
hutchibk

For the runny eyes, you might want to consider taking a daily antihistamine. I took Allegra (and used Patanol eye drops) when that was a problem for me the first go around on Herceptin. It really helped.

Gas and diarrhea- maybe get really strict with your diet. All clean, fresh and healthy and no junk food/soft drinks/drive thrus. That is what works for me. When I deviate even just a little, it comes roaring back. (lots of day I just eat the BRAT -banana, rice, applesauce, toast- diet for breakfast for extra measure.)

Are you taking Tamoxifen, Arimadex, Aromasin or Femara, too? The painful legs and achy joints sound more like SEs from one of those than from Herceptin...

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
DianneS

No, I'm not taking anything except Herceptin. The onc may start me on aromatase inhibitors later but I am only weakly ER positive and PR negative so I don't know. I see her in June. I won't be done with Hercep until Oct.

I do have a really good diet. I don't eat junk food at all and have never liked processed food. I like to make things from scratch, and we eat organic 99% of the time. My leg cramps and achy ankles are much better. I walk every day and this seems to help.

Watery eyes/dry eyes/crusty eyelids seems to be from the Herceptin. I have seen a lot of posts here about that, yet my onc/pharmacist didn't find anything in the SE's concerning Herceptin and eye issues. Strange. I am using some eye ointment, which pharmacist said will last longer than drops. You just can't see anything for awhile with ointment Runny nose off & on, definitely also Herceptin related. Fatigue, ditto.

Also, Taxotere and Taxol are in the same family of drugs but are not the same drug. I was taking Taxotere and was horribly allergic to it but did 5.5 rounds of the yuck.

Does it really take months to get the Taxotere/Carboplatin out of your system? Jeesh.

Diannes
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
DianneS

Cool

hutchibk,

Hope you're doing ok.....with all my side effect chatter I forgot to ask. Chemo brain!

Are you on anything now? Are things stable?

Wishing you all the best,

Diannes
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Old 05-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #11
hutchibk

I am good. I am currently on Tykerb/Herceptin. Things are nice and stable.

Consider trying a prescription antihistamine and maybe some allergy eye drops... it worked well for me when I had the teary eye issue.

Yep, the hangover from taxanes and carbo can take several months to get over. At least in my experience.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 05-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #12
NYSunshine

HI! It is soooo good to hear that others are having the same side effects of the chemo cocktails that I had. But I have one other one that I am hoping someone else just forgot to mention....my fingernails are 1/2 white and 1/2 normal...as if the skin under the nail has actually died. They are paper-thin and I must keep them cut close or they will tear very easily. Any suggestions? I have absolutely loved this message board and wish I had gotten to it when I first started with the chemo. Many times I ignored the side effects thinking I was extremely wierd...now I know that many of you have had the same ones! Good luck to all of you battling this battle right now! We are all courageous if we choose to be!
9/9/08. Left Breast Lumpectomy
10/7/08 Re-excision to clear margins + medi-port placed
10/20/08 Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin. Kytril/Decadron tablets 4 days following infusion kept the nausea in check .
Feb. 2009 Finished T/C. 4/1/09 - 30 radiation treatments finished
Continuing Herceptin every 3 wks. until October 2009.
NYSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #13
Laurel

Diannes,

Chemo wipes out your natural flora in your G.I. tract. A naturopathic doc placed me on Probiotics post chemo for my G.I. irritations and I was good as new within 2 weeks! Impressive. I also suggest you have your Vit D levels checked as low Vit D, and most of us have LOW Vit D, contribute to the leg and joint pain associated with Herceptin and especially with Tamoxifen and A.I.s.

My hair has grown back just as it was pre-chemo. I had a full head of short hair by this past February with my last ACTH in the beginning of Sept. Once I had finished with chemo I began my supplements. I have had little SEs from Herceptin alone. My nails are soft and break easily. I have a drippy nose intermittently. This Spring was awful for my allergies. I cannot recall a worse season, although many friends and acquaintances who are not receiving Herceptin say the same thing. The stiffness and tingling in my feet and lower legs are all but gone now. I really believe the supplements aide me. Have you consulted a naturopath? I am a true believer in their merits.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:36 AM   #14
KTHEFF

Re: Herceptin and leg and joint pains

Hi

Thank you all for posting your experiences. I finished chemo in Oct. and had bilateral mastectomies followed by radiation that ended in March. I started Tamoxifen and Herceptin within days of that. I experienced intense pain in my bones after the first Herceptin treatment and have been achy and VERY uncomfortable since. My doctor stopped the Tamoxifen temporarily to see if the pain is due to that or the Herceptin. I have to wait another week to see if there is any relief. I have my 3rd Herceptin treatment tomorrow. I notice that I am quite nauseous 2-3 days after the Herceptin for a day or so. I started with the runny eyes and nose a couple of days ago. My doctor is sending me for echo/heart ultrasounds every 3 months or so as well.

My Radiology Oncologist referred me to a physical therapist who has a specialty in oncology recovery. She is awesome and uses a lot of pilates to help me stretch and build core strength. I started it to circulate the radiation and prepare for reconstructive surgery but I have to say that it helps with my pain. It doesn't relieve it fully but I can't imagine how hard it would be without it! They're working to make the physical therapy an automatic service provided after all cancer surgery. I'm in Connecticut and know that my therapist is on a national board of directors working on this movement. Insurance pays for this treatment for which I am very grateful!

It's good to hear that I am not alone in these side effects and that with time, they may lessen. I, too was told that the Herceptin would be easy to deal with after everything else but it's really not. Don't get me wrong, I know that without it I wouldn't be here but I still have 9 1/2 months of this to go and it's a drag to have fitful sleep due to the pain and wake up feeling just as bad as when I went to sleep!

Doesn't it get tiring to complain all the time??!!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
Jackie07

That's the purpose of the support group - nobody but our fellow cancer fighters 'gets it'.

Complain as much and as often as you feel the need. This is not the time (or 'place' to suppress our thoughts, mask our feelings, or pretend to be O.K.

Hope you'll be feeling better soon.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 03-28-2011 at 01:30 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #16
Christine Mary

I have very similar side effects . I am 9weeks out from taxane and had my 6th herceptin yesterday. I have quite bad joint pain which keeps me up at night. Still not sure if it is left over from taxanes or caused by herceptin. My Dr prescribed an NSAID which has helped quite a bit. Also still have lots of fatigue. 6 down, 11 to go.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #17
JaneEB

When you've had a bucket load of treatment it's so hard to know what's causing what.
Symptoms at present include achy ankles (particularly at night), aching joints all over when I first get up after sitting or lying down, and what appears to be carpel tunnel syndrome in my writing hand. However I noticed the carpal tunnel two days after starting Arimadex and then had first Herceptin. The oncologist suggested I stop the Arimsadex for four weeks, but it hasn't stopped the Carpal Tunnel problem although it is better. Have had 2 Herceptin but also wonder whether fall out from 6 FEC is partly responsible. I am also fat!!! Put on a stone over chemo and can't lose anything despite return to healthy eating.
Don't feel poorly in general but just achy and tired because of disturbed sleep.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #18
Mary L

Herceptin has alot of side effects however one of them is keeping us ned. I still have some of them after 3 1/2 years off of hercepin but I am alive and doing well. Had I not been able to take Herceptin, I know I would not be here today. Mary L
Mary L from PA Diag: Oct 2003 w/6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, IBC stage IIIB. tx A/C followed by Taxotere(only able to have 2 tx, allergic), mastectomy, 3 0ut of 7 positive nodes. 35 rads. Recurrence 9 months later, skin mets to mastectomy site. Tx Carboplatin/Herceptin. Stayed on Herceptin almost 5 years, had 3 more recurrences when I had to stop Herceptin due to my ejection fraction getting too low. Herceptin stopped and ned 3 years in Oct. 2010.
Mary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #19
BonnieR

Re: "carpel tunnel", I developed a "trigger thumb" after being on Femara for a few years. Switched to Aromasin and it resolved.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #20
v-ness

herceptin caused a runny nose for me, eyes so red i looked like i'd been smoking ganja with bob marley, and brittle, peeling nails. only in the past month have they finally grown and looked normal. i finished herceptin in october. i don't know if herceptin caused my sore joints because i am on tamoxifen and have been since april. they really hurt on damp days or if i haven't been active. thus, exercise is a lifesaver. good luck with the rest of your treatment! valerie
2/10 began 7 wks of radiation
6/10 mom dies of primary peritoneal ovarian cancer
8/10 got my last remaining ovary out
10/10 mammogram all clear
3/11 MRI shows 5 'spots' in right breast, largest 1 cm unidentifiable on US
needle biopsy proved the largest to be old inflamed cyst -phew!
7/10 switched to Arimidex
8/9 switched to Femara - allergic to arimidex
Femara made me lose hair quickly so switched to Aromasin
Aromasin made my hair fall out too and the bone pain was too much.
back on Tamoxifen 1/2013.
blood clot from trains and planes 5/2014 so on coumadin per onco for as long as i am on tamoxifen
tamoxifen was supposed to be up with my 5 yrs in may but my boyfriend was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer so i am staying on tamoxifen indefinitely because i want some ammo against BC, given the stress. lost my husband in only 10 wks in 2007 to stage 4 esophageal cancer.
cancer's screwing with another man i love
2/2016 - 6yrs in remission, off tamoxifen and off coumadin - yay!
v-ness is offline   Reply With Quote