HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 04-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
BMW2

Tangeretin Interferes with Tamoxifen

Has any one read that Tangeretin interferes with Tamoxifen's ability to inhibit tumor growth? Tangeretin is found in the peel of citrus fruits. Does this problem also apply if you consume citrus juice such as lemon or lime juice? I always squeeze a lemon or lime in my water.
Told me to return in 6 months.
BSE in Jul 2000 found lump the size of an apricot (4x2x2cm) in my left breast. Unable to be detected in mammogram.
2 encapsulated lymph nodes out of five.
ER+ Neither Her2 positive or negative.
Invasive carcinoma with small amount of duct carcinoma in situ.
Did adjuvant A/C therapy, then bi-lateral mastectomy, Taxol, radiation. DIEP reconstruction at Johns Hopkins. Tamoxifen for 3 years.
Arimidex for 5 years.

April 2009 noticed red puckering of skin site of left breast reconstruction. Oncologist thought it was benign.
Cancer returned. No metastasis.
Surgery in April 2009 of left reconstructed breast.
ER+ 90%, PR-, Her2 3+ 70%
TCH and radiation again.
One year of Herceptin (one more Herceptin and then I will be done end of April 2010).
Back on Tamoxifen.
Have not decided if I want to stay on Herceptin for another year.
BMW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
1rarebird

Re: Tangeretin Interferes with Tamoxifen

I too have read that Tangertin and Tangerines have a deleterious effect on Tamoxifen therapy---at least in certain lab experiments. see: http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/c.../full/91/4/354 . But I don't know how much the suspect flavinoid involved with Tangerines is also found in other citrus fruits---perhaps not as much. And it may be that the real risk is linked more to the ingestion of peels and oils of tangerines and other citrus fruits, rather than the juice and pulp. I hope so since I eat a least one fresh orange a day. However, I do stay clear of tangerines just to be cautious.

bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:05 AM   #3
TanyaRD

Tangeretin is found in the peels of citus fruits. It appears some small animal studies have found interaction between it and Tamoxifen. However, the dose was much higher than that found in the amount normally consumed in food daily. The studies caution against supplement forms (high doses) while on Tamoxifen. I don't know of any harm in consuming citrus, in fact there are many phytochemicals in citrus, like limonene, that have shown benefit in breast cancer.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
1rarebird

Red face Re: Tangeretin Interferes with Tamoxifen

Thanks, Tanya--I'll keep eating my oranges and look up limonene---bird.
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Rich66

Hmm. I thought Quercetin, found in peels, increased Tamoxifen absorption:

Int J Pharm. 2006 Apr 26;313(1-2):144-9. Epub 2006 Mar 3.
Enhanced bioavailability of tamoxifen after oral administration of tamoxifen with quercetin in rats.

Shin SC, Choi JS, Li X.
College of Pharmacy, Chonnam National University, Bukgu, Gwangju 500-757, Republic of Korea.
Abstract

Orally administered tamoxifen undergoes a first-pass metabolism and substrates for multidrug resistance (MDR) transporters efflux in the liver and intestines, which obstructs its systemic exposure. This study investigated the effect of quercetin, a dual inhibitor of CYP3A4 and P-gp, on the bioavailability and pharmacokinetics of tamoxifen and one of its metabolites, 4-hydroxytamoxifen, in rats. The pharmacokinetic parameters of tamoxifen and 4-hydroxytamoxifen in plasma were determined after orally administering tamoxifen (10 mg/kg) with or without quercetin (2.5, 7.5 and 15 mg/kg). The coadministration of quercetin (2.5 and 7.5 mg/kg) significantly (p < 0.05) increased the absorption rate constant (K(a)), peak concentration (C(max)) and the areas under the plasma concentration-time curve (AUC) of tamoxifen. The absolute bioavailability (AB%) of tamoxifen with 2.5 and 7.5 mg/kg quercetin ranged from 18.0% to 24.1%, which was significantly higher than the control group, 15.0% (p < 0.05). The relative bioavailability (RB%) of tamoxifen coadministered with quercetin was 1.20-1.61 times higher than the control group. The coadministration of quercetin caused no significant changes in the terminal half-life (t(1/2)) and the time to reach the peak concentration (T(max)) of tamoxifen. Compared with the control group, the coadministration of 7.5 mg/kg quercetin significantly (p < 0.05) increased the AUC of 4-hydroxytamoxifen. However, the metabolite ratios (MR; AUC of 4-hydroxytamoxifen to tamoxifen) were significantly lower (p < 0.05). This suggests that quercetin inhibits the both MDR transporters efflux and first-pass metabolism of tamoxifen. The enhanced bioavailability of tamoxifen as a result of its coadministration with quercetin might be due to the effect of quercetin promoting the intestinal absorption and reducing the first-pass metabolism of tamoxifen. If the results are further confirmed in the clinical trials, the tamoxifen dosage should be adjusted when tamoxifen is administered with quercetin or quercetin-containing dietary supplements in order to avoid potential drug interactions.

PMID: 16516418 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #6
pibikay

Question Re: Tangeretin Interferes with Tamoxifen

Which of the two contians less of Tmageretine?
Sweet Lime
Orange
pibikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
schoolteacher

I have been adding a slice of lemon to my green tea because I read it aides the body in absorbing more of the antioxidants. I take Tamoxifen, so should I stop putting the slice of lemon in my green tea?

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
Rich66

I suspect it's only an issue if you consume the peel or a bioflavenoid supplement that contains peel. Some Vitamin C supplements contain added bioflavenoids which may have peel. Quercetin is found in the peel of apples and appears to help Tamoxifen and has anticancer properties on its own. I don't know if apple peel has tangeretin..but there are Quercetin only supplements.
I suppose you could avoid the issue in your tea by squeezing the lemon juice into the tea.
If you really want benefits from green tea, you might benefit more from a supplement. There is a combo called Capsibiol T that combines decaf green tea with Capsaicin for synergy.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
Naudia

I heard about this and asked my doctor about it. He assured me that I would be fine since I am not actually consuming the peel, and if I were they levels would not be significant enough to make an impact. With this being said, I have continued to enjoy me tea with lemon, thankfully. I am wondering if anyone has ever been to Dr. Robert Goulet? Is he a good doctor? Thank you.
Naudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
snolan

I didn't know, nor did my Dr say, anything about Quercetin. I have taken it even before being Dx and she knows about it. Should I mention this as it states the dosage of Tamoxifen may need to be adjusted? I'm guessing either I'm not taking as much or she doesn't know of this study.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #11
Patrice1968

Thank you for posting this as I had never heard of it before. I posted a link to something interesting I found below. It appears, according to this website, that tangeretin is found mostly in the peels and tissues of various oranges and tangarines. Only very trace amounts are found in lemons and grapefruit. I eat the juice and pulp of two lemons diluted in hot water every day to detoxify my liver (breast cancer mets to liver) so when I saw this I was concerned, as I'm on tamoxifen as well. Thanks so much for posting this - very interesting!
Patrice1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
Patrice1968

Sorry, I guess I didn't post the link! Here it is!
http://www.purematters.com/herbs-sup...s/t/tangeretin
Patrice1968 is offline   Reply With Quote