HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 05-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
pibikay

Post Need some guidance

I am a care giver.My wife 61 has metastatic brest cabserbER,PR-ve Her 2+aggressive.
We are Hindus living in India and strict vegetarians.The dietecian advised us to avoid sugar.Is it necessary, to avoid sugar.After going through a google search of HER2 suppressors I am using Olive Oil for her.She is allergic to Mushrooms.
What will be the ideal diet
Need some guidance
Thanks in advance
PBK
pibikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
TanyaRD

Re: Need some guidance

PBK,
Your wife's nutrition needs should be tailored to her symptoms. If she has a good appetite and is not losing any weight then she can focus on a well-balanced vegetarian diet being sure to include adequate protein sources. Soy has been an area of controversy in breast cancer but mostly in ER+ breast cancer. It is now acceptable to include 2-3 servings of soy foods in the diet for ER+ breast cancer and since your wife has ER- breast cancer you can safely keep that in the diet. Of course, beans, peas, legumes and certain grains, like quinoa, will also be a great source of protein. Additionally, I recommend that she consume whole grains and a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. In regards to sugar, excessive sugar in the diet is not recommended. However, there is no reason (from the information you've shared) she can't enjoy a treat once in a while. Please see the article at the following link http://www.caring4cancer.com/go/canc...connection.htm.

If your wife is having trouble with her appetite then my recommendations would be completely different. Let me know if she is having trouble eating and I will provide additional information.

Best wishes to you both.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
pibikay

Thanks Tanya
The Dietecian attached to the onc has prohibited Soy products.She has recommended fresh cheese and panneer(cottage cheese) and fresh cooked veg.
My doubt was mainly re the sugar as she is not a diabetic and the random test dhowed the glucose within the normal limit.I am giving her multi grain bread
Thanks once again.I will check that site
PBK
Old 05-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
TanyaRD

Does your wife eat dairy products? If so, those are good recommendations. As I mentioned, soy is controversial in breast cancer, but the newest recommendations do allow for 2-3 servings of whole food soy per day. If your wife is not vegan then it is not necessary to include soy in the diet. If she is vegan and you wish to avoid soy there are plenty of other protein sources. Multi grain bread is a great start. Just check the ingredient list and make sure the 1st ingredient says "whole grain" or "whole wheat". It sounds like you are doing a good job.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
pibikay

Thanks once again.
She does take dairy products.
I give her milk, fresh cheese and fresh cottage cheese.
Our children settled down in the USA sent protein supplement which she takes with water in the night
Is coffee to be totally avoided.
We are coffee drinkers.Now I give her some coffee in the morning with milk(lots of milk than coffee)
Thanks
PBK
Old 05-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
TanyaRD

There is no problem with coffee as long as it doesn't give her heartburn. She also needs to be sure she is drinking plenty of other non-caffeinated beverages. Also, make sure the protein powder is whey protein as opposed to soy protein.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:57 AM   #7
pibikay

Thanks Tanya